Zito Signs

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by Nam Dekan, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

Free-agent left-hander Barry Zito and the San Francisco Giants have agreed to a seven-year, $126 million contract, according to baseball officials.

Zito, the 2002 American League Cy Young Award winner with the Oakland Athletics, considered offers by the New York Mets, Texas Rangers and Seattle Mariners before relocating across the Bay.

The contract surpasses Mike Hampton's eight-year, $121 million deal signed with the Colorado Rockies after the 2000 season. Roger Clemens, the seven-time Cy Young winner, earned $22 million last season with the Houston Astros, the highest one-year contract in baseball history.
    test
  2. DannyC

DannyC Stay golden, pony boy.

thats fucking sweet

not only does he NOT sign with the red sox, yankees, or mets, but he ends up in the NL on the west coast so i dont ever have to think about the guy

lovin it
    test
  3. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Those idiots shoulda kept Schmidt wtf. Zito's gonna be a #3 at best by the 3rd year of this deal.
    test
  4. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

enjoy never winning a title zito [up]
    test
  5. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

Zito's gonna win atleast 2 more Cy Young's playing in that ballpark, in that division, against all those weak ass NL lineups. I like the signing by both Zito and the Giants.
    test
  6. DannyC

DannyC Stay golden, pony boy.

jealousy

and who the fuck said the mets would win one anytime soon
    test
  7. Iceodu921

get off my dick..

i was mad as hell when i heard this since i wanted zito. however hes not worth the money at all.

8 yrs 144 mil? take him san fran.

the mets have a very good shot at getting to the world series this year and for several years after.
    test
  8. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

He'll never win another CY. The guy is so overrated.
    test
  9. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

For the money he's going to make yeah maybe he is overrated but there is no denying he is a good to great pitcher, who is never hurt, crafty as fuck, going to maybe the worst division in baseball, playing in a ballpark perfectly suited for a left-handed pitcher.

Zito > Schmidt... Easily
    test
  10. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

Main point is basically if you're gonna overpay for someone atleast they overpaid for a PITCHER who racks up innings and is never hurt. I'm telling you the Giants made a great move signing Zito. And dude's not even 30 yet. I almost wanna say the Giants are getting a fucking steal.
    test
  11. Iceodu921

a steal? lol they went over market value for him since his cy young his numbers have dropped i think he can be a nice pitcher something around 15-17 wins a yr but its too risky to give a pitcher 8 years.
    test
  12. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

lmao clueless.
    test
  13. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

I was obviously reaching with calling it a "steal". Point I'm making is he was the last pitcher on the market (name someone comparible). And the Mets were obviously involved so the Giants obviously had to pony up if they wanted to beat the Mets for him and they did.

As far as the 8 years (really 7, 8th is an option), Zito's 28 I think and it's not like he's a fireballer who'll lose velocity as he gets older and be worthless. And again HE'S NEVER HURT.

Honestly, what's your problem with the 7-8 years? I'll say this much, Zito and Vernon Wells are basically the same age and basically got the same deal. IMHO, Considering all things, the Giants made a significantly better signing than the Blue Jays did.
    test
  14. Old Soul

Old Soul Nipple Nibbler

Zito is a 2-pitch pitcher declining in just about every way a pitcher can. His fastball tops out @ 90 and he has the nasty curve. His walks keep increasing, his hits keep increasing, AND he's giving up 30 HR's... it simply wasn't a great signing and EVEN WITH Schmidt losing a few mph on his fastball he STILL out-performed Zito in basically every way possible.
    test
  15. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

I wonder if Zito would've gotten the same contract Daisuke didn't sign or if Zito signed before Daisuke was signed

Texas apparently only offered something like 6 years for 84 million, and I heard the Mets weren't offering over 5 years, and the only team that came close to the Giants was Seattle.

Looks like now it's rumored the mets are turning their attention to Weaver..
    test
  16. Iceodu921

they didnt do this to take him from the mets. The mets offered him 1 deal and from day 1 they said they will not go over 5 years for any pitcher.
    test
  17. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

Yeah just saw that. Well replace the Mets with the Rangers and Seattle in this case. Fact is if more than 1 team wants a certain guy you're either going to have to pony up and give him the years/cash or you're not going to get him, and then what? Let's see what Starting pitcher Seattle and Texas wind up getting and compare him to Zito. I'd rather overpay for a good solid who I personally think has his best years in front of him than settle for some middle-bottom of the rotation type guy.

Is Barry Zito worth 18 million when a guy like Johan Santana is only making 9 million, of course not.

But guys like J.D. Drew is going to make 14 million (5 years), Gary Matthews Jr. is going to make 10 million (5 years), Jason Schmidt is going to make 15.5 million (3 years), Vernon Wells is going to make 18 million (7 years) and Alfonso Soriano is going to make 17 million (8 years). Now how ridiculous is it that Zito got the deal that he got? He was just a victim of perfect timing just like all these other players.

Isn't Carlos Zambrano a FA next year? Same thing is going to happen with him, some team is going to give him a ridiculous contract and the most wins he has had in a season is 16.
    test
  18. Iceodu921

zito isnt as much better than a healthy schdmit as you think.

also zambrano and santana will get huge contracts they are way better than zito but i wouldnt give more than 5 yrs to either of them as well.

its to risky with pitchers e••••ally when you they only play once every 5 days..I cant wait for these big deals to fail so we dont have to see them anymore.
    test
  19. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

Than a healthy Schidmt, maybe not. But health plays into it. Schimdt is older and has had arm problems. Not to keep repeating myself but Zito doesn't miss starts, that's probably the biggest reason why I don't have a problem with the deal. Well that and the other deals done this off-season.

If you're a GM and you're thinking like that then point blank you have ZERO shot of signing either one of those guys. There's really no other way to put it.

If I had to guess I'd say the Giants are realistically hoping that Zito gives them 5-6 really good years and is solid the final 2 years of his contract and they'd be extremely happy. It's like the Mets with Pedro, as long as he gives them 3 good years out of the 4 that he signed for it'll end up being a good deal for them.
    test
  20. Iceodu921

yes agreed this deal is like the pedro deal. mets didnt expect 4 solid years out of pedro but he sold tickets and gave them credibilty by signing with them.

however 4 yr deal is alot more reasonable than 8 yr deal with a no trade clause. long term deals just dont work out for pitchers. look at hampton and brown.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.