Your Top 10 Movies of the Year/Decade

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by TruKaos, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

Decade....

1. Capitalism; A Love Story
    2. Zombieland
    3. Grindhouse
    4. Devil's Rejects
    5. There Will Be Blood
    6. Spun
    7. Wonderland
    8. The Salton Sea
    9. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
    10. Requiem for a Dream
    test
  2. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

I just copy DVDs with cloneDVD from Netflix nigga. It's got a lot of pretty deep quotes I can appreciate and also pretty cool to watch on shrooms.
    test
  3. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

My post included Avatar :D

This thread is useless without Brahman or Jeus contributions, btw.
    test
  4. TruKaos

TruKaos I'll Box Your Ears

they, along with you and maybe a couple others, were who i was talking about in the first post. hope they make an appearance...
    test
  5. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

Brahman that souless bastard
    test
  6. Nam Dekan

Decade...Had to do 25

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    2. Requiem for a Dream
    3. Skins
    4. Departed
    5. There Will be Blood
    6. Synecdoche, New York
    7. Cashback
    8. Cooler
    9. Brick
    10.Inglorious Basterds
    11.Lost in Translation
    12.Super Troopers
    13.Wrestler
    14.Children of Men
    15.Gangs of New York
    16.Wet Hot American Summer
    17.Blow
    18.Training Day
    19.Borat
    20.American Psycho
    21.Hamlet
    22.The Libertine
    23.500 Days of Summer
    24.Punch Drunk Love
    25.Secretary
    test
  7. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

lol @ Super Trooper
    test
  8. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

test
  9. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

Damn man, you listed all movies I loved... we need to go see a movie together... (no homo!!!!)
    test
  10. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

I don't know about all that, now. There are some solid lists here. Then again a list is only as good as the reasons the movies are on it and no one is writing any WHY only what. What's the fun in that?

Very underappreciated.

I came up with a Favorite 25 of 2009, listed alphabetically:

(500) Days of Summer - great take on the rom-com, telling off the boss/company scene was great "We do a bad thing here."
    Adventureland - best coming-of-age movie in a while. Advertised all wrong, it could've been a hit if it had been marketed better.
    Avatar - Still unmoved by 3D, but this was a great ride for 2+ hours. The design work was great and Zoe Saldana gives the best mo-cap performance ever mo-capped.
    The Blind Side - Better than expected, Sandra Bullock tears into it, Tim McGraw does his even-keeled act well as always. Finally, the over-the-top football stuff that happens in every football movie is believable because Oher is such a beast.
    Coraline - Best use of 3D I've seen yet. Creepy, clever story, great animation. Very inventive.
    District 9 - Maybe the most original movie of the year. The integration of the effects with the live-action was incredibly seamless, and amazing for it being a lower-budget affair. Makes you wonder what folks like Cameron are doing with all that money. "I'm gonna eat that arm" is the line of the year, I think.
    Drag Me to Hell - Horror-comedy is a tough genre to get right (see: Jennifer's Body), but when done right, it's excellent. I still don't like Justin Long. Raimi finds the right tone and works in a contemporary context for a fresh film.
    Fantastic Mr Fox - Great voice work, great use of stop-motion. Not sure it ended up being what Roald Dahl wrote, but it's undeniably a Wes Anderson work (just like Spike Jonze's Where the Wild Things Are, but it wasn't as good).
    [Food Inc - Harrowing. A rare act of journalism from the media.
    Goodbye Solo - Finding a voice and space for people on the margins of society without turning them into cartoons is so rare, and here Ramin Bahrani does it beautifully. One of the best of the year.
    The Hangover - Hilarious. Perfect summer comedy. Mike Tyson, Ken Jeong, what could go wrong?Daily Show alums (Ed Helms and Rob Riggle in this) are better than SNL alums these days.
    The Hurt Locker - Best movie about Iraq so far, and one of the best of the year. We should be so lucky to get action movies this engaging every year.
    I Love You, Man - For my money, the best comedy of the year. Perfect portrayal of the awkward dude by Paul Rudd. Jason Segel has been a personal favorite since he showed up on Undeclared.
    The Informant! - Kinda got lost in the shuffle of the fall, but Matt Damon shows up with his best performance (better than Invictus) in a true-story of the kind of corporate shenanigans pointed to in Food Inc. And the music is great. Thinking of the 90s as a fodder for a period movie is kinda crazy (also seen in 2008's Definitely, Maybe, which is also surprisingly good.)
    Inglourious Basterds - In my opinion, this is Tarantino's best movie, which is saying something considering what he's done. From a writing, acting, directing, music perspective, I think this might be his masterpiece.
    Knowing - Nic Cage doing what he does best, flying off the handle, with some pretty cool eschatology stuff and unexplained aliens. Much more brave of Alex Proyas to try to willing to tackle end-times biblical prophecy instead of Mayan end-times 2012 stuff.
    Moon - Sam Rockwell gives the performance of the year. It's just him up there for 90 minutes and he carries the movie incredibly. I've never seen anything like it.
    Ponyo - Miyazaki is a magician and Ponyo is another of his wonders. He knows the difference between child-like than childish.
    Sin Nombre - For an American director to find an angle on a story that is basically about illegal immigration that isn't political is itself a notable feat. But the movie also works great as a movie. A road movie, a coming-of-age story, a chase movie, a thriller, a love story. It's got it all. One of the 3-4 best of the year.
    Star Trek - Enough gushing over this one has been done. JJ Abrams redeems himself for the mess that was MI3. Bana, Pegg, Nimoy all do good supporting work. Should be a good foundation for a franchise.
    Taken - Awesome. Liam Neeson = beast. Sequel in the works.
    This is It - RIP to the King of Pop. Great to see the man at work one last time. For all the talk about that he was in declining health and he couldn't sing or dance any more, I didn't really see any of that. He still seemed sharp. Obviously not mid/late 80s level, but for 50 he was gettin around pretty good.
    Up - Not, as far as I'm concerned, Pixar's best, but it's charming, and whimsical. The talking dog is funny, the animation is great. Ed Asner growls through a great voice performance.
    Up in the Air - Jason Reitman is on some kind of roll here to start a career. Thank You For Smoking, Juno and now Up in the Air are three of the best movies of the last couple years and this might be the best of the lot. Clooney is great, but Vera Farmiga really shines. A rare movie for adults.
    Whip It - Drew Barrymore proves herself a competent director as I actually came out of this movie knowing how roller derby works (I didn't get this from Eastwood in Invictus with rugby). This could've been a hit if guys weren't afraid to see movies about female characters. It's not a chick flick, it's just a great coming-of-age story. Even Juliette Lewis was not annoying. Kristen Wiig proves she's got range and acting chops beyond SNL characters. Ellen Page is never not great. I thought it was interesting that even though the movie is set in rural Texas the actors don't try to put on fake Texas accents. In a strange way, it's almost more authentic that way.

Decade list(s) might come later....
    test
  11. Superman70

Superman70 edited

good thread, added some stuff to my queue.
    too lazy to make list right now.
    test
  12. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Moon
    500 Days of Summer
    Star Trek
    Knowing
    Wolverine
    Inglourious Basterds
    In The Loop
    Watchmen
    I Love you, Man
    The Hurt Locker

I've only really started to properly watch films over the past 2 years so good thread.
    test
  13. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

With the exception of Hurt Locker, you really are gay uh?
    test
  14. Nam Dekan

Yep...I went in expecting something more like American Pie as did everybody else I know that seen it, mainly because of a misleading trailer. Turned out being better then I expected though.
    test
  15. Look im Gangsta

I just finished watching Adventureland and was pretty pleased with it. Over here all I saw was those 2 second flash on the screen type trailers with mention of Superbad and the lead looked like Cera so I figured it'd be shit and forgot about it.
    test
  16. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Why was "The Happening" hated on so bad?

I thought it was pretty good.
    test
  17. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

I think the bashing of The Happening was as much a backlash against M. Night (especially his bashing of Disney) as it was about the movie itself.
    test
  18. Superman70

Superman70 edited

also came out in 08
    test
  19. Dex Lewis

Dex Lewis Guest

Not sure why an M. Night film ever had high expectations to begin with.
    test
  20. Look im Gangsta

my problem was with Wallberg's acting. I watched about 10 minutes of him being continually surprised and then just turned it off.

Don't get me wrong, I like him in a good few films, but he was acting like it was an MTV parody.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.