Your top 10 favourite/influential guitarists.

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Look im Gangsta, Mar 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I know this has been done before, but looking back I've noticed a few opinions on people like Hendrix have changed quite dramatically, including my own.

John Frusciante, to me he's the evolved product of Hendrix and Gilmour. His solo stuff confused, pretencious nonsense, littered with sounds I just can't get over. Live he's second to none. I love his simple melodic/funk/rock approaches.

Eric Clapton, probably my biggest influence. I'll even hunt down the licks in his wedding singer days. Everything before '94 I own and continually play/masterbate over.

Buddy Guy, horribly overlooked in the grand sceme of things. His slow blues are amazing to me. BB King can daze you with a single note, but Guy can suffocate you with 4 more. Plus I actually like his voice.

Jimi Hendrix, used to hate him. Now the more I listen to him, the more I fall in love. From his overdriven rock to his racey blues, I just can't get enough.

Jose Gonzalez, my acoustic mention. 'Veneer' hugely influnced how I went about finger picking.

Van Halen, the band only has one great album imo. As a guitarist he's glorious.

Jimmy Page, took me a while to get into Zepp but he seems to make something so repetitive, so simple sound so dynamic. Plus, whilst in Claptons case I hate it, I like Pages transparant influence by Robert Johnson.

BB King, I don't rate him as highly as most. I actually think he's best work is with other guitarists like Hendrix, Gary Moore and Mayall's lot.

Robert Johnson, I'm not huge on the simple 12 bar delta type stuff, but I love that whine he has both in his playing and voice.

Steve Cropper, got into him through Otis Redding. I think he has that 'one note wonder' alot of people credit King with. With King I find it a bit boring TBH, mainly because I can't stand his voice and shitty back track he'll often use. With Cropper his ringing works so well with who ever is singing. Simple and effective and he doesn't need much more than his own guitar.
    test
  2. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I've never disliked Hendrix at all, I just pretended to dislike him at one time to aide some silly teenage antagonism.

but let's see...

Hendrix - Achieved a larger than life sound, which is what I've always admired the most. Amazing sense of song, melody, dynamics, phrasing, rhythm, and he was extremely productive and creative. He just picked up the guitar and jammed, making it sound effortless. His kind mastery is the most desirable in my opinion, because even if he hit a wrong note on occasion, he was a perpetual fountain of ideas that knew how to make his fantasies reality.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85zp1zVVDAQ

^I go through phases where I absolutely have to hear this song once a day. Totally broke free from the confines of rhythm/lead guitar and played both freely whenever the fuck he wanted.

Buzz "King Buzzo" Osbourne - Fucking amazing. Has a great sense of dynamics and he makes the most simple ideas sound mind-blowing. Even their shitty songs have amazing, knockout blow guitar work.

examples:

YouTube - The Melvins-The green Manalishi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0POlcF__EQ

Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath, man. Black Sabbath. Great riffer in the days before retards just started detuning and trying to come up with the heaviest riffs possible.

James Hetfield - Great, unique rhythm player. Can write heavy stuff like King Nothing, Sad but true, and disposable heroes and then write the unforgiven and nothing else matters. Awesome tone, tremendous feel for what a song needs.

Ed King/Allen Collins/Gary Rossington - better known as lynyrd skynyrd. I can't praise these guys enough. Epic songwriters that really knew how to tug at heartstrings. Fused country and blues rock better than anyone. Fuck the Allmans.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFPaxK-q5gI

Jimmy Page - Obvious I guess, but he really is a genius. Even going back to his yardbirds days, you could tell he was on a different plane. Dazed and confused, Kashmir, when the levee breaks, black dog, misty mountain hop, how many more times, no quarter, etc. He really did steal significant chunks of stairway to heaven from spirit though.

example from yardbirds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Rz3VcO2tbM

EXPOSED!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-U38BXsMGs&feature=related

Kurt Cobain - I know that as a serious guitarist, I'm supposed to snub my nose at Cobain and the early 90s in general, but fuck that. One of the most resourceful people to ever live, and he wrote classic riffs and arpeggios. Kept his music ridiculously simple, yet he really knew how to let go and rock out with feedback. He recognized the importance of contrasting dynamics. He did steal significant chunks of Come as you are from killing joke though.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=nirvana you know you're right&aq=f

EXPOSED!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d37THfx6r6Y

George Thorogood - He's everything I love about blues music minus everything I dislike. Tons of attitude and he does the self-accompany thing that I love. I prefer his vintage in your face type of stuff like his cover of Who do you love, i drink alone, and one bourbon.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06qN66vEZVE

Eddie Van Halen - What can I say, the man is a god. I'd probably like him more without the lead singers, but he has just absolutely stomped ass for years. My favorite thing about him though is all the sounds he plays as licks. harmonics, dive bombs, etc.

example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1wuBFfALs

Billy Gibbons - Always makes his solos count. ZZ top is pretty ehh overall, but they have great music.

John Lennon, mark arm/steve turner, and dick dale are worthy mentions as well.
    test
  3. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I didn't think of just listing the three hence skipping them. First 2/3 albums are huge to me.

yeah the plagerism marrs him a bit for me. dazed and confused also.
    test
  4. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

To be fair, all musicians/artists steal. Even going back to Mozart, he stole ideas from Haydn and vice versa. Bach stole from Renaissance musicians. I really just posted those "accusations" in jest.

Basically what makes a musician is their chops. How do you get chops? By studying all those that came before you. Nobody is totally original, we're all just a potpourri of our influences. Even if you don't set out to play someone else's shit, you're likely to use the same chord changes, intervals, and rhythms.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
    - Albert Einstein

This is why I'm not too big on Satch's lawsuit against Coldplay. If I sat down with Satch's music, I could pinpoint stolen chunks.
    test
  5. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

1) Hendrix. My goal with the guitar is to be able to play his version of Killing Floor at will. That song is what made me pick up the guitar, I said, I wanna be able to do that someday. I'm a long ways away, but I will get there.
    2) Page. He has almost all of my top ten riffs of all time. Traveling Riverside Blues is still my favorite riff of all time. The man had a knack for being a self-concious guitarists that could maintain the melody.
    3) Frusciante. So funky, and some of his riffs are real simple, but still are great to play. As unique a guitar player as there is today.
    4) Bradley Knowles. Like Mac said about Kurt, I should probably scoff at him, but his melodies are so beautiful, and he actually isn't too bad a player (check out some of his soloes). Just a great body of work, he came up with some very vibable riffs.
    5) David Gilmore - Pink Floyd = the first classic rock band I got into heavily. No one, I repeat no one, could build an atmosphere with his guitar quite like him.

I don't have 5 more, lol...
    test
  6. BLAZEONE

BLAZEONE New Member

Aside from all the ones mentioned -whom are all great by the way- i'd also add:

Eddie Hazel - Two words, Maggot Brain
    YouTube - Maggot Brain - Eddie Hazel & Michael Hampton (Maryland 1983)
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - It's too bad he died so early, truly talented
    YouTube - Stevie Ray Vaughan Little Wing
    Duane Allman - Another who left too early
    YouTube - The Allman Brothers Band with Duane - Whipping Post - Fillmore East - 09/23/1970 (Part 1)
    Zakk Wylde - Great grundge player, love his style
    YouTube - Zakk Wylde Solo - Live At Budokan 2002
    Bob Dylan - Acoustic genius
    YouTube - Bob Dylan MTV Unplugged - Desolation Row
    Neil Young - Amazing songwriter and guitarist
    YouTube - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Hey Hey, My My
    Robert Cray - Great blues player
    YouTube - Robert Cray Band -- Poor Johnny (Crossroads 2007)
    John Mayer - Let's face it, the guy is an amazing guitarist and song writer. Here he is with Clapton playing Crossroads, check the solo.
    YouTube - John Mayer and Eric Clapton - Crossroads (ABC News)
    Jeff Beck - Just check the solo, remarkable.
    YouTube - jeff beck classic solo
    Randy Rhoades - Ozzie's best guitar player ever
    YouTube - Randy Rhoads - Spotlight Solo (Quiet Riot/Ozzy)
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.