YOUR process of cleaning and mastering vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by thehobbster, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banetheterrible

banetheterrible New Member

so let me get this right, you want me to take a track that lets say has been mixed by dre and MASTERED by big bass and compare it with a mixdown that im working on.....lol thats shootin for high hopes there duud.....like i said people either need to learn from a pro or leave it to a pro. half steppin gets you half assed projects.
    test
  2. Praverb

Praverb I breathe hip hop...

well while mixing I do listen to reference CDs (Immortal Tech, Last Emp, Killah Priest etc)....now the key is to know whut type of sound you're aiming for but also being realistic......if your trying to shoot for loudness give it up........Professionals use better equipment.........we don't haha........just do whut Sagz said.........have a goal and shoot for it

listen to reference CDs if you are stuck.......take breaks etc..........enjoy whut you do......less is better
    test
  3. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

I put it up when i registered the name...it takes 48 hours to take effect...so keep waiting on it...its nothing i can do about it.
    test
  4. lil sagz

lil sagz harry manback

i don't think i understand how your typing? sarcasm? lol sorry text is tough to decipher emotion. but yeah exactly. you said it right half steppin gets you half assed projects. so, if your half assin and doin what fucking some other cat with shitty quality says to do then why the fuck would you do it? don't go for just underneath the bar, go for above.

i understand if your a hobbyist and don't wanna spend alot of money on this shit. but for the serious heads:

good equipment = good quality
    decent equipment = decent quality
    shitty equipment = shitty quality

no way of getting around it, i have yet to hear a track where someone uses a computer microphone and it is good enough for radio waves.

like i said it starts at the root of the problem. good equipment is how you get good quality... you shouldn't be having to worry about your shit being distorted and shit. you should mainly only have to worry about volume levels. and maybe, MAYBE a few touch ups.

and like i also said... shoot for a goal, ask yourself, how does this songs sound effect my mood? and go from there, try to interpet the song's emotion through the mixing.

iunno if it makes sense but that is how i do it.

0ne-sagz
    test
  5. lil sagz

lil sagz harry manback

and yeah i meant compare your music to another song's quality if you are stuck like pra said... use it as a reference. my fav artists for mixing references are outkast, linkin park, eminem, basically anyone that really puts out emotion with different effects and such, like reverb, reverb can really enhance a really emotional, deep song. stereo widening can really help bring out dryness in vocals for songs that make you laugh. different effects have different emotions.

listen to mixing on songs, how do they use effects and shit... some good examples are eminems "i'm back" or whatever where he's like "that's why they call me slim shady, i'm back" listen to how he uses the distorted vocals, or better yet, listen to tool's "stinkfist"... how he cuts the highs and lows on the eq, so it doesn't mean he has shitty quality but it adds emotion to the song.

did i explain better?

0ne-sagz
    test
  6. banetheterrible

banetheterrible New Member

there was a tad of sarcasm, but i not meant to be takin in a bad way, i get what you are saying, alot of people say to a/b with "your favorite artists cd" but to me it dosnt make sence to compare something you are trying to mix with something that has been mastered by a pro. i look at it like this, the more professional you are, the more you know that you should really be taking your mixes and getting your mixes mastered by professionals, thats what i do cuz i have no pipe dreams about professionally mastering anytime soon...lol but i think quality mixing is a more attainable goal, thats why i say, get your knowledge from a pro, but do all the basic homework yourselves. just my .02
    test
  7. Sho-Down

Sho-Down RockItPro.com

test
  8. thehobbster

thehobbster Dkaid - Point Made

Tight, Sho-Down, ima play with the God voice and all that on that page for a lil battle skit this weekend.
    test
  9. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

i would just like to add that referencing with pro CD's is a common practice within people who actually understand sound...i dont have the equipment that these veteran engineers have..nore the top skills that they have through years of mastering and mixing....HOWEVER....i have a VERY GOOD EAR....and i can closely match recording techniques to represent a professional product with inferior equipment....simply because i UNDERSTAND how they did what they did.....understand that in order to mix and master properly you have to UNDERSTAND how your monitors (or speakers for you broke asses) properly represent your music...and ANY MUSIC played through it....so referencing is an art in itself....nullifying the idea of referencing just cause you think you cant achieve the results is simply STUPID...your playing yourself....and shortchanging yourself in the long run...cause your mixing on the misconceptions and shortcomings of your equipment...and not the accuracy that you can achieve by judgements based on your equipment....

Even professional sound studios reference thier monitors with sound cd's or use a pink noise test to properly setup thier equipment within a reference enviornment...

and if im correct the most accurate representation of your mix is created at about 86db spl since your ear "compresses" and "limits" naturally at louder ratings...you can check that out along with idea's presented by the fletcher munson effect....
    buy a book or do a websearch on it

some of you cats need to learn a little more about what you teach other cats...cause your just spreading misconceptions and fairy tales....
    test
  10. thehobbster

thehobbster Dkaid - Point Made

I used that stuff for the skit that ShoDown posted, came out ok, i added some flanger to the devil voice, much better.
    test
  11. <<Rewind<<

<<Rewind<< Guest

k i got a question
    when u guys say compression, do u mean like hard limiting and dynamic processing?

cuz those are techniques i use in cool edit pro 2
    test
  12. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

dynamic processing is compression yes
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.