YOUR process of cleaning and mastering vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by thehobbster, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

^^^^

It doesn't change the actual waveform...it does not process the waveform and change the wavelengths...all you do is turn the "insert" on or off...if its on, it affects it, if its off it doesn't...just like on a real mixer....

No effect is made until mixdown...so I can apply compression first...that doesn't mean that when i mixdown, its gonna do it in that order...cause I can switch them around...BUT>>>

I stated that even if you do compression first...what does it matter...if you normalize...its not going to affect it, if you add reverb, its not going to affect it...the compresser still did its job...lol...
    test
  2. Praverb

Praverb I breathe hip hop...

1. Heavy Master Limit
    2. T-Racks Comp- Gentle Fast (it's works)

weird process...........but it's ill..........no noise reduction..........I record in my closet.....and I use mattress pad to cut down on the reverb.......clear vocals guys.......wooooooooo
    test
  3. banetheterrible

banetheterrible New Member

ok there smart guy.....if you say so....lol
    test
  4. Praverb

ayo Bane check the music on the page then judge I never said I wuz the best...........wooooooooo you get a Ric Flair slap haha
    test
  5. banetheterrible

lol, sorry bro i wasnt even talking to you, you posted just a tad faster then i did. but ill check your music and drop some feedback.
    test
  6. urban_tactics

urban_tactics aka johnny cockram

LOL...
    this shit is hilarious...

some of ya'll right....most of ya'll are killin me wit the "kno-it-all-ism"

there really isnt a "set way" to record vocals...it depends on the artist and the engineer...

i dont use that software bullshit...i use hardware to record, software to edit and arrange...
    my vocals start at a mackie mixer/pre-amp/Eq...all my eq's are set and are NEVER TOUCHED...
    from there it goes into a dynamic equalizer (yes, a dynamamic)...then a compressor...set at high attack, decay set by ear, and compression ratio set at 4:1...it also has a noise gate, for all the mic thuds and heavy breaths...

whoever said u compress last, hmmm...u can, but u dont HAVE TO...it'll save u work to compress b4 it ever hits the harddrive...especially if ur usin the gate...

normalizing, shouldnt be a regular routine...record at a good noise to signal ratio and normalizing shouldnt even be a routine in ur recording...

hiss reduction...get a pop filter, it'll stop all the "p's" and "b's" from blasting air thru ur mic and distortin ur shit....

lum, i dont kno how ur usin an SM-58 mic and not using any compression...maybe u got a one of a kind voice...i didnt peep ur music yet, but i will when i get a chance...

record ur vocals THE RIGH WAY, u wont have to use all those gay ass plug-in on coo edit pro...trust me when i record, i dont have to tweak shit at all...but i do it the pro way, i isolate all the tracks (i.e. pro tools)

i'ma hit ya'll ²²²²²z off wit some eq tips:
    the whole idea is to get the vocals to sound as natural as possible, BUT, fully audible as well

distortion on attack sylables, all these lie between 1k-3k cut on these frequencies to clear distortion
    to add air boost at 10k

too much hissin on vocals, cut at 7k

to enhance presence boost at 5k

boost at 250-500hz for body

cut at 200hz to clear up muddiness

the human voice is usually between 200hz and 10k very seldom do u have to fuck wit any other frequencies...

PEACE.
    test
  7. banetheterrible

i get what you are saying about compressing first, and that is a matter of opinion i guess, i look at it this way, if i compress it right off the bat and it sounds good, but then in the final mix it sounds like shit, it will all have to be recorded all over again, but if i record the vocals dry i can always undo it and try again without having the artist hit the booth.

but my whole point is that if you record right then you dont have to do all that other bullshit, and hell its even getting popular these days to compress the hell outta lyrics and leave them dry otherwise.

and you are right, there is no set way to do things, but there is definetly principles to doing things, and if you are trying to record on a professional level there is definetly a right and wrong way to do things.

and as for the knowitallizm.....i do my homework, i work with people in the game whos mixes cant be touched, and i am a student in the mix game, but all the talk here is all beginer knowledge. and most havent grasped that concept.

but hell what do i know.....lol
    test
  8. Praverb

you the man Bane I'm a student as well hard huh haha
    test
  9. thehobbster

thehobbster Dkaid - Point Made

I have come to realize that you people have no clue what Normalization is or does....
    test
  10. da-ill-one

da-ill-one New Member

"1. Heavy Master Limit
    2. T-Racks Comp- Gentle Fast (it's works)

weird process...........but it's ill..........no noise reduction..........I record in my closet.....and I use mattress pad to cut down on the reverb.......clear vocals guys.......wooooooooo"

listend to your music, real nice. what program do you use. if you use cool edit, how do you do those things.
    test
  11. banetheterrible

man im telling you, people dont realize that mixing is an artform, i know alot of shit, but that dont mean i can do it, just as everyone else, i have been constantly for 3 years and im still learning new shit all the time, people think they can come on here copy and paste someones processes and be all good, but it dont work like that, i dont even touch my personal recordings, i take them to the homie to do cuz he has more knowledge and knows more about what to do. i only mix the little projects i drop. but if you are gonna learn it then take the time to learn it, and learn it the right way, from a professional, not people here on rm that dont know that much..
    test
  12. urban_tactics

all a normalizer does is measure the peaks and brings them to the highest possible sound without distortion...
    and to top that off...if u record the RIGHT way...u'll never even need to use that feature...like i said b4, get a good noise to signal ratio and it wont be neccessary...
    test
  13. banetheterrible

i said that already, but i dont think anyone was listening.....lol
    test
  14. urban_tactics

i was respondin to that other cat...
    i'm used to the soundclick boards, so i dont kno how to quote yet...(lazy)
    but u seem to be the only cat on this board that aint playin wit pirated software and thinkin they can pass good knowledge, it just cant work like that, nahmean?
    test
  15. banetheterrible

yea i hear you man, like i said before too many chiefs and not enough indians. its all good though, im sure people will realize when they try to take that next step that any professional will not accept what they are doing and just take their biz somewhere else. im trying to avoid that problem personally.....lol
    test
  16. Praverb

scratch the Heavy Master Limit............it does more harm to your vocals............anywho..............I just learn ish.............www. studiocovers. com has lovely articles on mixing, mastering, etc

there's alot you can learn..........just take the time to learn.......you gotta teach your ear.......you dig.........still a newborn in the ear department...........ohh and Bane you're the man
    test
  17. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

^^That site never fucking works...go there and make sure it works...and drop a complete link.
    test
  18. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

its been said before that it is down for repairs or possibly down for good, which would suck cuz i never gotta peep it, and while were at it...fix the website in your profile
    test
  19. Praverb

my bad guys I'll drop two that work

www . johnvestman . com

and

www . getsigned . com

can't link to other sites take the spaces out
    test
  20. lil sagz

lil sagz harry manback

^ wuddup praverb

aiight let me state my stance on "vocal editing processes".

liquid hit it on the head. EVERYONE's enivornments are completly different, from equipment used, acoustics of the room, to actually mixing.

every song is different, every beat has different dynamics. every song should give you a totally different feeling from other songs. the emotion of songs rely heavily on mixing and vise versa.

volumes are adjusted differently on every track, compression must be used correctly or this can seriously kill your dynamics. eqs, backround noise, fucking everything that has to do with mixing is completly different from track to track.

so why is it that you are willing to keep the same process every track. and you wonder why people don't like listening to your shit. because it kills the ears. or sounds dull, monotonus, borrrrring.

bottom line if your shit needs compression, noise reduction, reverb, limiting, hiss reduction, eq, normalizing, expanding, and all that shit, it probably doesn't sound good.

if you want to know the secret to good mixing, it starts at the root, the vocalist, to the equipment. if neither of these are good wtf are you working with? a piece of shit, and that piece of shit is gonna leave your mixing "process" sounding like a processed piece of shit.

seriously, ya'll need to go back to the standards of kiss (keep it simple stupid).

and if yall are comparing to how good your tracks sound whether they 'bump' in a car system or not, then you are doing something very very wrong.

my tip to everyone that asks me how to mix their music better is to set a goal of how you want it to sound and shoot for it. don't do what something tells you to do.

and for volumes, your vocals should be resting just a little under a db above the snare.

seriously sit back and listen to a professionally recorded track... then listen to your track. do they sound alike? if not then you ain't doing something right.

mixing relies heavily on the equipment being used. if you got the equipment then the mixing relies even more heavily on the emotion of the track.

i don't know if any of that made sense, i just got off work and am tired lol. so holla.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.