YOUR process of cleaning and mastering vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by thehobbster, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

theres something you people seriously need to take into consideration...recording enviornments VARY heavily...just cause you use this persons routine and this compressor preset and so and so's EQ settings...it dont mean shit...

BECAUSE EVERYONES VOICE IS DIFFERENT...DIFFERENT VOICES REQUIRE DIFFERENT TECHNIQUES....

i engineer tracks for my whole crew...and i dont treat anyones vocals the same exact way...some people are heavier with thier voice...others are thinner and need some help to fill up the void of the track....

IT ALSO MATTERS what kinda of mic your using...some mics match better with certain voices...the shure 58 sounds great for people with nice and heavy voices...people comin off on a more 50 cent type tone...people who are a little more high pitched like a big L type tone dont come off as full and detailed...they actually sound a little lifeless...so i gotta work thier voices differently with an EQ....

and compression is DEF important...theres no such thing as..."if you know how to record you dont need a compressor..." sorry but thats bullshit...thats all in the confines of the artists...if your monotone and rhyme like mase you probably dont need compression as much...but someone like busta rhymes or redman who is very animated has a great deal of limiting or compression on thier vocals....

listen to Nas's albums...theres a GREAT deal of compression even though he has a generally heavy but calm voice...do you honestly think there was no compression or limiting done at all on a song like "One mic"? where he goes from quiet whispers to loud and aggressive rapping???

exactly...

listen to Jay-z's cd's...you can HEAR the compression on his light voice...

if you train your ear after much experience you can notice when and how certain things are used on professional cd's....

all you need to mixdown your tracks to a general comfort zone is a good compressor and an EQ... and of course the knowledge of how to apply them properly...

everything else is optional...
    test
  2. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

i totally agree with that...i don't mix for a whole crew but i mix for myself.... and each TRACK in each SONG i do i treat differently....that preset shit will end up messing you up....think of it like this

you take brakes off a CRX and put them on an Escalade and do 80 to the edge of a cliff...see if you stop :)

if you got a preset that was first off, set for someone else's voice...and now you are trying to use it in EACH of your songs...knowing that 1) if you aren't standing in the same exact spot with your mouth the same distance away, that's going to throw it off 2) nine times out of ten each song has slightly different emotions, thus your voice will be different

you gotta read up, open up the eq, fiddle around with the knobs and such

and may i also recommend not using cool edit for your vocal processing

use wavelab, or something similar, it allows you to set up several effects at once, listen, make adjustments and make one big FINAL RENDER, instead of doing each one by one, because once you change one, you'll likely want to go back and change another..

pz
    test
  3. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

Well..I shit on processes yes...but I do use the same compression settings for all my tracks...because i rap the same all the time...and I know how much compression I want...feel me.

But you know what...I've fixed all my problems at the source for the most part...so compression and mixing is really all I do..

When I learn how to EQ then I'm gonna do that, maybe Liquid can hit me up...

but 4 real...all that other bullshit fucks up your quality...noise reduction, hiss reduction, mastering width, all that cool edit nonsense...totally fucks it up. If you say it doesn't...its most likely because you have a shitty mic and shitty quality to begin with.
    test
  4. eye am xs

eye am xs New Member

good way to solve noise problems is to make sure you have the latest drivers for your soundcard (helps rid of clicks, pops), make sure everything is off in the room where you are recording. use the proper headphones that don't allow any sound leakage into the mic. fans can cause some noise too...especially if it's the cooling fan on your computer. if your soundcard isn't great, you may want to consider turning off the video card hardware accleration.

try doing these things, then just record like 10-20 seconds of silence, and see how silent it is...that'll give you the idea of how much noise is going to be in when you record
    test
  5. headless verseman

headless verseman JERSEY NUCCUH

sorry to say lum, that ur a fuckin conceited fuck

period.....dumb rich kid who thinks he's god on the mic

no hiss reduction? ok.....that'll sound good in the finished product........wait...NOPE

if u are in anything but a studio or blank room all kinds of shit gets picked up

ps, u come in every thread like u know everything.....but have been rappin for what, like 4 years?

cmon
    test
  6. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

yo, lum, you do roll up in threads like that sometimes, but he is right here....you should not have to do hiss reduction, i understand noise reduction cuz a lot of cats here arent workin with crazy god-like equipment, or some dont have it set up right or properly balanced, but yea, hiss reduction should not have to be done, neither should noise reduction, but hiss is very bad
    test
  7. Skrybe

Skrybe ConnectedthruaForeignExch

What kind of situation causes you to have lots of pops & clicks?? Cause I for one think I'm in a rather horrible situation (shitty mic, shitty soundcard, shitty acoustics), and I still don't have problems with pops & clicks n shit . . .
    test
  8. Mini Thin

Mini Thin New Member

i use acid 3.0 to record (if anyone else does PLEASE get at me to compare some notes).

1. compress
    2. hiss reduction
    3. Reverb
    4. mix down
    5..........crystal clear vocals.....
    just started this process a week ago and i'm very impressed.........but what is all this about normalization???????? i don't think i need it, and i don't even see it on acid programs???
    test
  9. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

normalization is not a good thing and you dont have to use it so dont worry
    test
  10. thehobbster

thehobbster Dkaid - Point Made

normalization is a very good thing. It raises the volume of your track to industry standards, so you don't have to do it manually, this way it won't clip.

People talk like they know what the hell they are talking about....sheesh.....;)
    test
  11. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

^^^^^ raising levels by normalizing has nothing to do with clipping...chances are, if its not clipping, and you normalize it, it will start clipping...and you wil lhave to use the fader to turn it down anyway.
    test
  12. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

no....normalization raises EVERYTHING in the audio to the same volume....it doesnt simply raise the volume like a dB boost would do
    test
  13. Booklet

Booklet New Member

ok i changed my process...
    tell me if it's better

compression
    Eqing(waves>Q8-Paragraphic Eq>8-band master EQ)
    reverb
    normalize
    test
  14. banetheterrible

banetheterrible New Member

"1. compress
    2. hiss reduction
    3. Reverb
    4. mix down
    5..........crystal clear vocals....."

why the fuck would you compress it first?
    and how are you gonna add "mix down" as process 4? thats what the whole process is doing, mixing down your audio.....lol get a clue brudda!

"raising levels by normalizing has nothing to do with clipping...chances are, if its not clipping, and you normalize it, it will start clipping...and you wil lhave to use the fader to turn it down anyway."

normalizing raises the volume as loud as it can without clipping. but if you dont know what you are doing then most likly it will clip.

look people, if you dont know what you are doing then you shouldnt be giving out advice.
    if you are recording properly then you SHOULDNT HAVE TO NORMALIZE ANYTHING!!!

so you should go back to basics and actually learn how to use your equipment. if you record your vocals correctly then you will hardly have to do anything to them at all, with vocals less is more, noise reduction, eq'ing, thats all signs that you dont know how to record and your equipment is sub par.
    test
  15. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

thank you!!!!! preach it!!!!!!!
    test
  16. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

You know nothing about mixing.

You shouldn't normalize at all...the faders are for adjusting volume

Why wouldn't you compress first??

He meant Mix Down...as in...mix all his files into one.
    test
  17. banetheterrible

you are telling me i dont know how to mix dogg???

you must be smokin, compression comes last, why the hell would you compress first, and then add effects which change the dynamic range to mess up the compression....its common sence dude, obviously you aint got none. and i never said he should normalize, cuz you shouldnt, if you know how to properly record all that other crap is not needed. but you are one of the many people here that thinks you know what you are doing, when in reality you are running around in the dark giving bad habits.....so go back to your fruity loops and your radio shack mic....brudda!
    test
  18. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

You must use Cool Edit...lol...if you use a real DAW...the waveform of what you are editing does not change.

And what is going to happen to your precious compression anyway?? If you reverb...its not going to mess up the compression...if you normalize, its not goin to mess up the compression, if you EQ, its not going to mess up the compression...

stop being that masterful mixer you are with COOL EDIT PRO!
    test
  19. banetheterrible

come on dogg, i use sonar, for my beats and my vocals. and i do have a real d.a.w. i have thousands of hard earned dollars invested into it.

like i said you are one of the many that THINKS they know what they are doing, but actually dont. i have already stated why you shouldnt do these things.

i cant help it if you have a fragile ego and cant soak game, i tell you, too many chiefs and not enough indians, its no wonder the game is soaked down right now.
    test
  20. banetheterrible

"You must use Cool Edit...lol...if you use a real DAW...the waveform of what you are editing does not change."

ok so i had to say something about this retarded comment.

so you are telling me that when you add reverb the wav dosnt change at all? you need to take off the headgear guy! if you add reverb it changes the dynamic range of the wav, in most cases it lowers the volume, thats why they have those little settings on there for "depth" "attack" "decay" "delay" and so on and so on. so that changes the wav form......duh...oh wait im sure you knew that cuz you are the shit right? and compression COMPRESSES the wav form, isnt that changing the wav? get a clue tough guy....
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.