YOUR process of cleaning and mastering vocals

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by thehobbster, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

or maybe your really monotone, if you got a track and a lot of emotion, then your volume is bound to flucuate, and constantly moving different distances from the mic will sound bad, but maybe im jus retarted
    test
  2. thehobbster

thehobbster Dkaid - Point Made

no, i agree.
    test
  3. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

okay, Lum, you come in here and you know all the damn answers and refuse to try other ideas....you follow hip hops rules and you have studio tracks and you know how to spit and your building a booth with a blanket on the door and theres NO WAY sound will get back in
    c'mon man - listen to other poeple here too
    knowing how to spit doesnt equal standing the same distance and usin the same voice and everything, spitting is puttin raw emotion to music made with raw emotion also.....that would involve some movement, some energy, some emotion
    a booth with a blanket as a door will let sound out and sound in also...sound travels easier through solid items....therefore it will get back in easier...its not outside noise coming into your booth and the noise goin out of the booth, bumpin around, and comin back in, but try the blanket at first cuz u already got studio quality tracks
    hip hop doesnt have a set of rules on how to make a song, its all about being creative
    test
  4. drop1ne

drop1ne TH WORLDS AFRAID OF ME

i want to hear some of lums tracks if he doesnt mind
    test
  5. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

click his www icon under his posts
    test
  6. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

Hmm...this doesn't seem to be the correct thread for that...But its okay...I know you're just lettin off some steam...

The fact is...if you know how to record...you can vibe with the beat...and still make your volumes correct...

GO listen to my music...I've never used a compressor.

www.soundclick.com/sess - "Come to My Street"
    test
  7. sjob

sjob New Member

nice qual on your shit Lum.
    test
  8. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

yea, i wuz lettin off some steam cuz sumtimes u be hard headed as fuck, and yea nice quality, but at times it sounds like ur shit gets a little clipy soundin, id say mix ur shit down a little lower, but good shit
    test
  9. thehobbster

I heard something about a 30 band punch and sparkle EQ....whats that?
    test
  10. Axel Reina

Axel Reina Rep me bitch

^ it EQ's your vocals. Make it sound more clearer.. you kno umm.. takes out some bass.
    test
  11. Skrybe

Skrybe ConnectedthruaForeignExch

I've noticed that my verses are fine as far as volume is concerned; it's usually my ad-libs that need to be brought up or down in the end. http://www.soundclick.com/skrybe <-- "Waffle House Freestyle". My boy & I were laughing about the fact that he recorded some ad-libs at the end of his verse, but we couldn't hear my ad-libs (hadn't compressed yet), and after I compressed, it turned out our ad-libs sort of matched up. LOL

I myself use noise reduction and some type of compression on nearly every vocal track . . . I actually use a specific one, so when I get home I'll say which, cause I don't remember . . . Everything else I do depending on the vocal's need for it (i.e. de-essing, raising the mids, etc.)
    test
  12. AmeN2002

AmeN2002 New Member

here is a ?...r these tips for condensers or dynamic cauze i was recordin with a dynamic mic and i had 2 do a bunch of shit just 2 hear my vocals...now i have a condenser and tried a few things...tha quality is way bettah...but i still need a bettah mix...if they can help me out with that ? would be appricaiated...1
    test
  13. Booklet

Booklet New Member

i'm kinda new at editing so if i'm doin something wrong...tell me

heavy master limit
    punch & sparkle
    studio voice
    antares mic mod..the one on caph's site
    aipl warmtone...caph's site
    limit hard -12
    then reverb
    test
  14. olskool

olskool New Member

where do i get AIPL warmtone? i have the cool edit from kazaa but where do i get AIPL warmtone i need it!
    test
  15. Booklet

Booklet New Member

i think it sux
    test
  16. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

4 Real...you are killing your vocals...

you have to fix problems at the source...the above process is tearing your shit apart...

The most important thing you will ever learn is "less is more" - some things you have to do...like adjust volume levels, compress, and perhaps EQ...but thats about it.

punch and sparkle, heavy master, studio voice, mic mod, aipl warm, reverb...its all cheap distortion effects...any real audio head that understands how to mix a track will be able to tell your shit apart from crisp audio...cause you can tell when something is processed to hell...

just do some standard compression, eq, and adjust the volume...you will come out with the best sounding audio...and to make ur shit warm try different mic'ing techniques...like, spitting your verse twice and layering, shit like that...
    test
  17. rez0nate

rez0nate New Member

When i use my dynamic:

Noise reduction
    click/pop eliminator
    studio voice
    studio mastering
    reverb
    compression

and When I use my Condenser:

Noise reduction
    click/pop eliminator
    reverb
    compression

I get wayyyy better quality with the condenser, i noticed that with the dynamic my vocals will sound very good after the edit process, but when i do the final mixdown and play the songs at high volume i hear distortion. With the condenser it is still clear when im playin my shit loud enough for neighbors to call the cops on me, and i have a mxl-990 condenser which isnt a great mic but shit, it sounds purty fuckin good to me...

And what is all this shit about caph's site? who is caph? LOL
    test
  18. Booklet

Booklet New Member

ya dat's the prob....i really don't know i to do eq and compression in cool edit
    test
  19. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

well you have to know how to use a compressor in the first place...

lol...start reading up...or hit me up on AIM: Specialk0783
    test
  20. thehobbster

i don't think he is "destroying" his vocals...

plus you can't fix all the problems at the source.

Electricity itself causes some of that, and without electricity, you can't use it.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.