your own hypeman

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by livevil, Dec 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. livevil

livevil swat team

you know how you record your verse, then record seperate lines to overlap the same lines so as to sounds like a hypeman, but its you..like double voice..
    can someone tell me how this is done properly..im not sure really,,everytime i try it sounds horrible...can someone explain to me..after ive recorded my verses for the first time..then i pick the lines out that i want to have double voice at the end of them..could i copy and paste the same line over it but a little bit in front or behind it so its sounds like a double voice, or do you ussually record a new one over again..if anyone knows what i mean can you gimme some info..of where i can learn about it , thanks
    test
  2. Jenre

Jenre Little Lizard

Personally I go through the verse again recording parts I want emphasised only. Then sometimes I have to do a bit of cutting up to get it all in time. If you dont get it almost spot on it'll sound really cheap and nasty. Then make sure the levels are right for the backing. You don't want to hear two recordings, you want to hear one that sounds "larger" during significant lines than the rest of it. That mixing part can be tricky.

And when you do a chorus do the same, but also do some overdubs, i.e. record another chorus over the original. Maybe one or two, just to boost it. They need to be mixed right as well. I generally have them slightly louder than normal backing vocals. perhaps pan them a little if you have 2
    test
  3. So. IL.L

So. IL.L WWW.SOUNDCLICK.COM/ROUSH

What your talkin' about is "Ad Libs" or at least that is how it is most commonly referred to on this site... other names are double overs, voice overs... there are many names for this.. at any rate.. the best way to do this and the most common.. is to actually record a seperate track saying only the lines, words, whatever... that you want to ad the voice over to. If this is how your already doin it and it's not soundin good then you probably don't have your lyrics down pat... That's the first thing.. memorize your lyrics and make sure you spit them the same every time... if you do that then you should have no problems droppin in your ad libs right on time... make sure that the volume of the original verse isn't too high, or low in your headphones.. you want to be able to hear the verse and your voice as you're recordin equally so you'll be able to hear if they're off.. I hope this helps.. if you don't understand any of this then let me know and I'll try to explain it better.. g'luck.. pz.
    test
  4. Kaotic33

Kaotic33 Owns You

so ill, do you have AIM cuz im having some trouble doing adlibs effectively i'd appreciate if you could help me thanks
    test
  5. Mr. Verbalist

Mr. Verbalist How am I doin?

I overdub my whole verse, but if your voice overs are off, then it's gonna sound shitty, you have to say it exactly the same way you did the first time, and on the same pace/beat.
    test
  6. LusterCumbrance

LusterCumbrance Ejército Rojo

I do that also, and pan one to 30L one to 30R
    test
  7. j0e milly

j0e milly New Member

what is this panning thing, or pan one to 30l and one to 30r, what u mean
    test
  8. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

lol @ your own hypeman
    test
  9. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

ok........imma say it here.......which no one seems to point out........THE SECRET TO VOICE OVERS IS TO NOT TRY TO SOUND DIFFERENT FROM YOUR ORIGINAL TRACK..........

amatures tend to change thier voice on thier voice overs......THAT SOUNDS HORRIBLE......DONT FUCKING DO IT............

your just supposed to punctuate or make what your saying sound stronger......and more aggressive....and you do that by just repeating yourself in the same tone and nature as your original track.....

dont go over it a second time and try to pitch your voice up or down....or sound angrier or sound softer on your voice over.......you can do all that shit on a seperate track in the background (far in the background) of the voice overs.....so its barely noticable......

if you follow that.....you should sound neater.....and a lot more "professional".......now if your problem is your words jumbling up and it sounding messy......then you just need to work on your vocal performance better.....and we cant help you with that.......thats a personal issue you must solve by practicing......

the best thing to do.....besides just voicing over words that you want heard......is to spit the whole verse over......and then remove some dubs from it....leaving behind what sounds good........

to make good effect......having less voice overs is better.....only a couple of words at the end of a bar.......

dont try to voice over complete bars.....its noisy and becomes tiring.......unless....thats the style you really wish to go for.......it sounds less natural and actually makes you sound less of an MC and more of a studio trick........
    and then if you decide on making a career out of this (hah) people will find you sounding WEAK when you actually perform.....cause they will be so used to hearing your voice doubled......

the producer has spoken.......
    test
  10. Cold North Flow

Cold North Flow original smooth

^
    Thats the shit right there. If you wanna change your voice on some harmony shit. Do this first and then add the harmony parts and fuck with panning and shit.
    test
  11. Intriquate

Intriquate BBC/CLP/HiRED/APE

Doubles are exactly what they are doubles, because you want it to sound the same, but without copying and pasting, because though you want it to sound the same, you want the dynamics of two so as to acentuate the original recording

if anybody else said this forgive me fore I did not read the follow up posts
    test
  12. *EnCoRe*

*EnCoRe* Shitty Ass Avatars!

u stole that from p diddy on making the band 2
    test
  13. Intriquate

Me? :) um he said it yes but that's not why I said, I said because it's true
    test
  14. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

lol @ stole it from p diddy's making the band..........if you honestly think that p-diddy originated that idea your a fucking idiot.......thats a common knowledge thing to people who are experienced in the game........

you fucking rapmusic.com kids crack me the fuck up......damn kids with no connection to hip hop culture.....
    test
  15. Intriquate

WTF i never said he originated

You got from that, that I am saying he orginated it?

Damn man this board hasty as ah mother fucker
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.