your opinion on jays beat selection

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by articledon, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. articledon

articledon New Member

from a beats perspective

prelude - the first beat is the best beat on the album and its by a noname producer. Hot sample nice drums, 5/5.

oh my god. not feeling it. To busy it just sounds off 2.5/5

kingdom come. hot beat. nice flip of the sample. not the best just tho 4/5

show me. hot beat. clean production. it serves its purpose, 4/5

lost ones- beat sounds unfinished and underproduced and amaturish 3/5.

do you wannaride- aight beat. kanye could have done much better. it sounds like a left over from College dropout. 3/5

30 something - its ok. beat sounds unfinished but its cool. 3.5/5

i made it- hot beat. vintage kanye. jay fits this type of beat 4.5/5

anything- not sure how to judge this one. ill pass

hollywood - Not feeling but I guess the production is cool and it serves its purpose. 4/5

trouble - hot beat 4/5

dig a hole - cool beat. not as good as the one swizz did for game tho. 4/5
    minority report - I like this beat. the beat has a nice vibe to it. nice subtle vocal sample and rain and thunder. really adds emotion to it. nice production. 5/5

beach chair- this is different but I like it. Jays lyrics makes this one. but the beat is cool. 4/5
    test
  2. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

The fact that you think the beat that Swizzy did for Game is good, pretty much steals from the validity of this whole thread.
    test
  3. I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY

I SUCK AT POKER < DONKEY who fuen CARES

lol givin that swizz a 4 out of 5 without the game quote ruins the validity
    test
  4. Bash

Bash New Member

lol Dig A Hole is the best beat Swizz has made all year
    test
  5. articledon

articledon New Member

I thought swizz beat on DA was good. It has bang factor. You guys have strong feelings about this beat

Ill listen to the 2 beats again to try to hear what yall talking about.

well. we all have opinions
    test
  6. kid848

kid848 Ya Boi Honesty

You think Oh My God is a bad beat?.. you're crazy...

and you think that Lost Ones is underproduced...lol.

My opinion is almost the COMPLETE opposite of yours on most of these beats...
    test
  7. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

I'd say....

(Rating scale - 4/10 is pretty weak, not terrible but not something you want to hear......5/10 is a bit below average, but listenable....6/10 is average, barely makin it......7/10 is solid, decent....8/10 is pretty damm good.....9/10 is great....10/10 is amazing)

Prelude - Cool beat for intro...sets the mood of the album by showin it's not gonna be a hype album, and not gonna be too dark. 7/10

Oh my God - Has some energy to it...sounds like Freeway is gonna come in at any minute. Sounds outdated though...seems like somethin that coulda been on Blueprint or even Vol. 3. 7/10

Kingdom come - He flipped the hell out of the sample, and it has so much energy to it. 9/10 easy

Show me what you got - Goes over most people's heads because of the live instruments, but is hot as hell and doesn't get boring. Would rate higher, but we've heard it before......8.5/10

Lost Ones - Serves it's purpose...should have had a few change ups or even an instrument to come in at the hook though.......7/10

Do you wanna ride - Has TOO MUCH bass in it. Pretty solid track though, possibly strong enough for radio play.....7.5/10

30 something - Definitely serves it's purpose, but does sound like it could have been a lot better if Dre or whoever spent a bit more time on it....I was just beggin for him to play with that keyboard chord more, and to bring somethin in at the hook. Still hot though....8.5/10

I made it - Also sounds outdated to me, but still works. 7.5/10

Anything - I don't care much for it, but I think it's good enough to be a hit, especially with the star power featured on it. This will be a track that his true fans don't care much for, but the females and radio boppers will like. 7/10

Hollywood - I guess it sets the mood for the track...so I won't judge it lower just because I don't care for it. But I'd say.......6.5/10

Trouble - A beat that you can love, hate, or think it's average. I think it's pretty hot, and it's nice how Dre used his overtypical piano on a Timbo styled drum track. 8/10

Dig a hole - I don't care much for it, and the hook makes the song itself annoying to me. I think it's a bit better than the one on Game's album, which has energy but a horrendous melody. Drums on here do knock, but the melody and all are just whatever to me....6.5/10

Minority Report - Isn't as good as it wants to be at all. Has a dark vibe to it, but doesn't move me an inch. Definitely wasn't made for Jay in my opinion, who sounds hella forced and dull on here. I think this beat would be A LOT hotter just as an instrumental in a movie or during a documentary, because it's not really "rap-able" to me....but is very cinematic. 7/10

Beach Chair - Is definitely a different kinda beat, but I can't dig it too much. I don't care much for rap songs that have rock influence, even though my ears are open. I think the song and concept itself is better than the beat is. I think many people like it because it is different, and maybe the elements appeal to some of them. 5.5/10

Overall....I think Game's album has better production. His ear for beats was whatever on this one.
    test
  8. M.Maestro

M.Maestro Ghost

i only like (excluding his first two singles - show me what u got and kingdom come) - i only like 30 somethin, hollywood..( i dont care, that beat is piff nigga) and minority report.

beach chair.. that shit was garabge.. is that the one wit that dude singing on it?

that shit is terrible

i dont like NeYo on minoritiy report..
    test
  9. (( Ozone ))

(( Ozone )) t-t-t-t-toxiq

it's annoying how hating on Swizz's beats is all of a sudden the "cool" thing to do on this side of the forum

half his shit aint even THAT bad, his beats serve their purpose.. Dig A Hole is crack.. thats probably the most bumped track so far from Hove's album on the radio and by ya average nigga (minus the singles). Every other whip here in Harlem got Dig A Hole on blast

and the Scream beat he did for Game wasn't my favorite, but it wasn't THAT bad... if Swizz's name hadn't been in the credits.. I guarantee no one would be sayin shit about it

yall really need to stop
    test
  10. (( Ozone ))

don't even let these niggas influence your opinion son... them shit's bang

I remember when Busta's "Touch It" was first posted on here.. the thread went 2 pages deep wit niggas talkin bout "omgg swizz is ass, i bet he has 6yr olds playin his melodies etc" and that went on to be Busta's 2nd most succesful single EVER

he gave T.I. his 2nd most succesful single ever too, "Bring Em Out" and niggas hated on it heavy on here. He gave Beyonce hit after hit... all his beats aint sonic or technical masterpieces but they all serve a purpose.. the average person fucks wit his shit HARD

but this side of the site is the fuckin twilight zone my nigga.
    test
  11. Turl

Turl Producer

i've changed my mind on "scream on em", i like it now. turn that shit up WAY LOUD, gets ya in the mood for a fight..
    test
  12. Embassy Sweetz

Embassy Sweetz 360's thee-shit,-b

Game pretty much saves that " scream" track...its prolly one of his better tracks flow wise and emotionally..but god dam yo..that beat is seriously ONE note over and over and over...swizz is the ONLY producer that cud get away with that...his drums always bang tho which really saves all his beats...

and dig a hole...man i was just waiting for a diff note...but it never came...and that nigga on the hook is STRAINING to sing on that key lol..drives me insane.

and O..of COURSE we're gonna rip swizz apart in here..its a production forum...so we talk critically and techinically in here...and technically speaking he's ass...so of course thats gonna be brought up...but commerically he does his thing and i think everyone can at least accept it..even if they dont like it. swizz's longevity and hit list in the game dam near demands respect from anyone...regardless if u like his shit or not.
    test
  13. (( Ozone ))

^i feel you family, u right.. as producers, we automatically get critical like that. It's the cats with the overbearing opinions that laugh at other cats for liking Swizz that get on my nerves.

i'm like wtf... what are we doin this for tho?

we tryna make hits and gain commercial success?

..or be forever heralded on messageboards across the net for having the most complex chords, and best panned toms?

Swizz is accomplishing what i'm tryna accomplish. If anything, his production has taught me that the average album buying listener doesn't give a fuck about that lil shit. So I fucks wit Swizzy hardbody

but you right tho son, that nigga's singin on Dig A Hole be haivn me dyyyin lmao
    test
  14. R-Tistic

I'm sure you aren't talkin about me...if so, then that's definitely not the case at all.

I always fucked with Touch it, Set it off, and some of his other beats. But the beat on Game's album is just trash to me....it just hits real hard. Even average consumers aren't all tryin to hear one fuckin note on repeat.

If anybody got hated on here as if it was "cool" it was Collipark, and I always thought he was a lot more talented than he would show...but he recognized the important elements for club music. But with Swizz....he's VERY hit and miss to me. I'm just not a fan of these two recent beats of his...has nothing to do with what "everybody else" says, especially since I barely even post on here and could care less what everybody says on here.
    test
  15. Bash

Bash New Member

man I like Swizz man no homo Like That is one a the most hyped tracks in the last few years he killed dat shit I like Set It Off too but dat shit he did on Beyonce's album wats it called Get Me Bodied I aint gon front dat shit is kinda weak lol Dig A Hole is tight too so is Scream On Em I dont see why people hate on dat beat
    test
  16. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

Exactly....
    test
  17. Status_

Status_ New Member

I was about to same the same thing.

On My God is crack. Straight Just Blaze hood shit. And Lost Ones got a head nod factor you can't get away from.
    test
  18. articledon

articledon New Member

there are 2 different ways to evaluate a beat. you could evaluate based on a technical analysis or based on bang factor. My ratings are based on bang factor.

Yes, swizz only uses one note or what ever but the beat is hot. low technical score high bang factor. ala most swizz beats.

Yes the prelude uses a sample with little alteration but its hot. high bang factor low tech score.

On kingdome come just flips a sample that everyone is scared to touch and made it fresh again. Hi technical score.

on show me what you got just gets a hi technical score.

I think bang factor is way more important than the technical. The technical gets you respect from other beat makers and increases the bang factor and originality of a beat up to a certain point. but after that, making a beat technically good for the sake of being technically good is not a good look.

yes, I may have lost some respect for kanye when I found some of the original samples like the one for guess whos back. But at the end of the day all that matters is is the beat hot or not. can it make a good song?
    test
  19. articledon

articledon New Member

Your right. It sounds like it could have been on blueprint. But I dont see that as a bad thing

test
  20. R-Tistic

Hmm...to me, I usually judge different beats for different elements. I judge beats with energy for the bang factor as well as what's goin on in the beat. So some beats don't have to change up at all...but for tracks like Swizz's one noter, I just can't get into it. But I can fuck with "Touch it" or "Bring it back" or "Grindin" and other beats that are all drums and maybe one small melody.

I don't really judge beats "technically" per se, but more less for the musicianship that is present...and with most rap beats, there isn't much. However, there is small shit that I'll catch that most people could care less about, like the intro to that Lil Mo song feat. Fabo "I'm ready to settle down" or whatever...the instrumentation goin on before the drums dropped was fuckin amazing, and the changeups in the song were dope.

As for judgin producers who primarily sample....I almost look at them like a good DJ...they have good taste in music and what makes it hot, but a lot of them aren't doin shit creatively, especially the ones who just loop and add drums.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.