Your MIXING "Steps" ..

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Scorpio SAE, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirhashimi

mirhashimi New Member

yeah tho but can anyone answers the question?
    what are your steps of mixing? just so i can try them and if they help me ill consider using them, thank you
    test
  2. soniclabsaudio

soniclabsaudio New Member

we have said this about 20 times in this thread now. There is no 1 way to mix why dont you guys get that? do you read / speak english?

Tell me how to make a beat? If i think it can help me i will consider using it. Answer that first.
    test
  3. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

the point everyone is making here is that mixing steps aren't valid because every song is different. learn what each function does and do custom mixes for each song
    test
  4. kM Sky

kM Sky I just type a lot of shit

I stumble upon this forum once in a while to see whats up with everyone. And to my knowledge it seems that 90% of the people here think that a mixing [[and/or]] mastering engineer has only one step to his or hers' work.

When really you guys aren't realizing that.. they can't list their steps, because that ONE engineer doesn't have a specific way of doing things, the source is at infinite.

Sonic might do ''this and that'' to a certain track; one where he and/or his employer (the guy who hired him for the project) feels fit for the mood. Come back to another track and do something completely different to this new one, so it can better fit the 'mood'

For example; You don't compress just because it's what you're told in school. In school, they teach you what compression does, and how it works. Through time and experience is when you use your own knowledge of when or when not to use it. Basically saying, you use it when you feel its needed because you know what it does and all the mechanics to what its capable of. And this goes for everything, life too. I drink my water cause I'm thirsty. I put on a jacket cause I'm cold. I change up my audio chain with different gear for a different flavour.

No hate. All love.
    test
  5. David G

David G New Member

Lol.. Wow.
    test
  6. -Marxist-

-Marxist- wtf r u thinking

Wow... How Patronizing Did That Feel?
    test
  7. kM Sky

kM Sky I just type a lot of shit

I haven't worked with Sonic before.
    test
  8. Roundz

Roundz New Member

some of yall are just being assholes..you know you can help him out if you wanted to..and you know there were some basic steps you took when you started out..he's a beginner..let him know the basics. yo go to this old rapmusic.com link..it explains some basic steps for cool edit/adobe..i dont know what program you using but here goes something that'll help..

http://www.rapmusic.com/rapmusic/content.php?content=tools&id=151
    test
  9. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

notice that was written in 2001, by someone who obviously doesn't know what they're talking about

also notice that the first step in 'mixing' is to limit the vocals so they're loud as fuck

this is like a #1 no no
    test
  10. soniclabsaudio

lol come on arcane let them in on the secrets first you normailize then you compress then you limit then you normalize again to get maximun volume. Its time we gave a little back. Let me know how you guys vocals come out.
    test
  11. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

thats mean but its well deserved. people refuse to learn or even read a book. They just want the answers spoon fed to them and then get mad when they dont like the answer. Mixing is a skill it isn't something that can be done by pushing a bunch of presets in cool edit. Presets are there as general tools but they should be tweaked to taste.
    test
  12. soniclabsaudio

oh if its still not loud enugh i suggest selecting the entire wav file then lowering the gain about -3 or -5 db then normalizing and limiting again follow those steps untill your track looks like 1 soild brick wall in the wav form and your there dude.
    test
  13. Track King

Track King New Member

lmao this works people! try it..
    test
  14. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, with the exception of mastering I do it all... and do it well.

Don't let these mafuckas tell u that u CAN'T do some shit....
    test
  15. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

yea but u took the time to get good at it u aint like most of these kids who just want to get at it overnight and swear they are gods
    test
  16. AkaaJay

AkaaJay Rapmusic.com's Best

There is no set steps, you do things only when they need to be done.

"Mix in the box"...Or as you are makin the beat
    Sart with the first thing you put in the beat, get it somewhat where you want it in the mix.
    as you add different things to the beat ajust every thing till its how you want it.

start with the dynamics.
    i.e. level the beat
    then pan shit where it fits best
    and reveb and delays to get the feel of space to each sound
    don't and reverb or delay to anything unless it needs it.... level agian
    Compress ya sounds that need it, usually do this before adding verb or delays...level agian
    Eq all your sounds, to clean them.... level agian
    play with the steroe wideing to get the mix to where you like it....level agian
    Limit the overall mix the apply an addtional eq to the overall mix
    and thats it
    check the mix in mono and its a wrap
    test
  17. soniclabsaudio

wow not close do any of you know how to -0- ( zero ) out a board so you can set a mix up? What about making sub groups or aux sends? Anyone familiar with using these on busses or sub groups? What about mutes and solos? 1 word of advice mix in stems. Also its called stereo imaging not wideing ( which im not even sure is a word ) Im not going to go into each step but half of what you have there is wrong.

I mean why would you limit a mix then add eq? You trying to restore dynamics or sound lost during the leveling stage?

You lost me man. Maybe explain why you do what you do so i can try and figure out who taught you this?
    test
  18. -Marxist-

-Marxist- wtf r u thinking

And THAT Is The Epitomy Of 'Band-Aid' Mixing... ALOT Of The Mix Should Be Tackled In The Tracking Stage - Levels, Position, Warmth etc. Especially As Far As Vocals Go - They Should B Crisp Prior 2 Any Processing...

Mixing Is Applied To Enhance The ALREADY Present Sound, Not 2 FIX It... & With The Amount Of EQ & Dynamics Your Throwing Around, I'd Believe The Final Mix Would B Far From 'Mastering' Grade. Maybe Its Just Me?
    test
  19. headless verseman

headless verseman JERSEY NUCCUH

okay, i see both sides. ive taken time and effort into learning various processes through books, watching others, etc...experimenting basically

however. i dont think he's fishing for WHAT to do, but just curious WHAT you do. i dunno, thats the vibe i got

fuck it.
    test
  20. Emtee

Emtee License to Ill

why doesn't someone post a song they have mixed, and tell us a couple of steps they used for that specific song...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.