Your MIXING "Steps" ..

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Scorpio SAE, Oct 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scorpio SAE

Scorpio SAE New Member

When you begin to MIX .. What do you do in ORDER? .. What i do in order is:

Waves:
    Ren. Compressor
    Ren. EQ
    Ren. Verb

Then maybe some other shit.. Like Limit after its mixed down to stereo .. uhm.. Is there anything i'm missin? What are your steps.. I'm just trynna see what others do, you know what i mean? ..
    test
  2. soniclabsaudio

soniclabsaudio New Member

Wow this isnt just directed at you so this is for everyone who keeps asking the same dumb ish.

First stop trying to do it all people rap , produce , mix and lol "master" your own stuff. I see so many people on here uhh how do i master? well you cant. Its diffrent for ever song and every sound same as a mix. Thats like asking you how do i make a beat. Well how do i? I know i add drums and a piano but what else. Its a general question that cant be answered. You forgot 2 of the biggest parts of mixing the pan position and volume in your list of things you do. you guys are killing me. I had to stop doing work for "hip hop " artists because your all cheap and want everythign for free and you want it now. you want a mix button then a master button on a h20 budget. Its just getting sad and out of control. So again i ask "how do i make a beat?" keep that in mine.

Again poster this is not aimed at you but to all the "how do i please include steps" people lately , you just happened to get this replied in your topic.
    test
  3. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

yeah pretty much @ sonic

the process for me:

artist sends me track + money
    i mix
    artist gets track back, comments
    if necessary, i get track back for fixing
    artist is happy

done
    test
  4. doctah

doctah I know how to do that...

arcane...maybe you should sticky this...and get rid of the old, outdated ones...

lol...it's not too often someone goes off like that [teet]

edit: nvm "get rid of the old"...I see you cleared it out months ago...
    test
  5. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

:):

i'm on top of my shit

and there's a nice long rant by me at the top of the forum as well ala 'how to get your questions answered quickly'

which clearly no one ever reads :|
    test
  6. Xabiton

Xabiton RM Veteran

Why don't people understand that there is actually skill involved in mixing and u cant be good at everything. These kids need to get jobs and stop tryin to scam everything
    test
  7. Scorpio SAE

Scorpio SAE New Member

Whoa.. I can mix muhfuckas .. I was askin about ya'll strategy .. Aint none of ya'll even asnwer my fuckin question.. So juss lock this shit .. Dickheads.
    test
  8. soniclabsaudio

you obivioously CANT mix if you compress first? but what would we know i mean we are allstar hiphop pro'ducas here. Compression and limiting of anykind ( unless during the actuall recording ) should be the last things you reach for. Again i repeat your question is as broad as "how do i make a beat"

a) add drums
    b) add piano

looks pretty stupid huh? because its diffrent for everything. You dint give a refrence track what your mixing ( music genera ) or anything. A downsouth joint is mixed diffrent than a east coast banga. You cant take any kind of critisim can you?
    test
  9. Scorpio SAE

Scorpio SAE New Member

That's just like sayin i'm wrong for recordin with a Compressor/Gate on. I was tought to Compress first and compress again if needed.. Da hell you mean i cant mix cause i compress first? I didnt list a Genre cause i meant MIXING period. And i can take Criticism but i dont take the bullshit, son.
    test
  10. David G

David G New Member

Lol. Let's be rational here. He's not feeding you bullshit.. All he's basically saying is that he can't give you his mixing "methods" for the sole reason that not every track is mastered in the exact shape and form. Sure, you have your basic mixing techniques, but there is always something unique that needs to be done to vocals, or a beat. Now, promise not to blow up at me, M'kay? I do understand where you're coming from with your question, but it simply cannot be completely answered.
    test
  11. soniclabsaudio

So that dosnt mean you were taught right? Im not your son got me bro. Its not just the fact you compress first its understanding why you do what you do and i dont think you even know why you compress, you just do it because someone probally said to. The first step should be understanding a mix and the reason certain things are done and this all goes back to the "how do i make a beat" you dont mix everything alike man. im not mixing a club track like i do a east coast joint. I dont know whats so hard to understand about that. Its like you are playing sheep and just doing what ever people say is the way to mix without taking the time to figure out why would i use a gate or compress on the i/o. so again i say your question can not be answered done.
    test
  12. Tuke Hades

Tuke Hades New Member

No there is not a certain order unless you have your own. lol
    thers no mixin' order of effects.

i think that might help
    test
  13. M.Maestro

M.Maestro Ghost

man shut teh fuck up.. i hate people like you.
    test
  14. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

what, people who actually have an idea of what they're talking about?
    test
  15. Scorpio SAE

Scorpio SAE New Member

Lol. I took classes in college but i dont know why i'm compressin' ..
    I'm not ya "Bro" ...
    But good look, Tuke.
    test
  16. Arcane

Arcane Alcoholic Roadie

if you don't know why you're doing it, then you probably shouldn't be doing it

that goes for anything, not just audio
    test
  17. Scorpio SAE

Scorpio SAE New Member

That was Sarcasm..
    test
  18. soniclabsaudio

Ok well then please let us know why they taught you to compress on the i/o bus? I would rather have a conversation than a battle of the boards here so i have stated my points your turn. No critisim just wondering what they taught you now.

For whoever maestro is go bang some pads or whatever you pro'ducaz do over there. Look at your responce to a legimit post , just shows your knowledge for anything but pad bangin.
    test
  19. -Marxist-

-Marxist- wtf r u thinking

Sonics Dope, So Informative... @SAE - Just Because You Know 'Compression' In Theory Of Overall Relativity [Damn@Using College As Your Reference], Doesn't Hold Any Bearing In That You Know It's Application In Audio Mixing.

It Boils Down 2 - If It Sounds Good, Its Good. If That Method Works For You, Great. But It's Not The 'Correct' Way Of Approaching It. Sonic Stated In His Opening Post, It Was A General Post, NOT AIMED @ THIS TOPIC IN PARTICULAR. So Don't Take Offence.

Ask Questions, Feed Off The Knowledge. Evidently You Went To College, Same Principle.
    test
  20. soniclabsaudio

^^^ im glad someone saw i wasnt firing shots at anyone.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.