Your Help & Advice Needed..Sound Proofing A Vocal Booth

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Jahs_Warrior, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jahs_Warrior

Jahs_Warrior New Member

Whuddup i need some help basically i have aroom in the back of the garden big ass empty room, anyways me and my mans needed a place to record so we designed a 4 by 4 vocal booth (2.15 m length) we also attached a plastic window+ frame on the door and one on the side of the booth. We also built in holes for cables and a ventilation system and gave the booth some wheel lucky for me my boyz older bro was carpenter so shit didnt cost much at all... Now i need to soundproof it what is the best material,, remember i'm not sound proofing much it's not the size of a room..Any advice on best soundproofing materials or ways i can improve my booth?

thanks for any and all knowlegde dropped
    test
  2. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

You can't soundproof it, unless it was BUILT with the proper materials, Im sure it's playwood or sheetrock, so the best you can do is line the inside with acoustic fiberglass, then sheetblok, then auralex foam of your choice.
    test
  3. Jahs_Warrior

Jahs_Warrior New Member

well the frame was made from timber and we placed MDF wood sheets between the spaces of the timebr structre thus gettin a box shape. Couldnt i just place auralex foam within the box, What will sheetblok do? and what is acoustic fiberglass ?

thanks for what youve told me so far just need it explained to me in more detial, i'm pretty dumb lol

And yeah what is te best way too build a studio booth by the way?
    test
  4. AllOrNothinEnt

Ok, see it can't be soundproofed, since it wasn't made from soundproof material.
    The best you can do is get it sound treated, to offer a significant drop in reverb etc.
    Acoustic fiberglass is just that, its a sheet of fiberglass which asbsorbs sound, that should go on the wall first. Sheetblok acts as a layer to block sound, and it does it quite well, it isnt soundproof, but its a sound blocker. And the foam goes ontop because it cuts the reverb and echo, and also the look aint bad.
    test
  5. Jahs_Warrior

Jahs_Warrior New Member

ahhh yeah thats much more clear i think i see the light lol ok where do i get this acoustic fiberglass from and is it very expensive? and what type of auralex foam is the best you think?
    test
  6. AllOrNothinEnt

Ok, acoustic rigid fiberglass is what it's called, you can call Home Depot and see if they have it in, otherwise ..fuck whats the place that sells it.... something Corvin, or Corwin...they have it as well, and nah, it's not too expensive at all.

As far ad the "best" Auralex, well I like the Metro, that's what I had slapped up by Whisperroom in my booth, because its shaped like a city skyline, thus the name Metro.
    But you can use whatever you like.
    test
  7. Jahs_Warrior

Jahs_Warrior New Member

ight thanks man your knowledge as been very useful to me but i have a few more questions. I read about bass traps would they be any useful to me? And when yous say i have too line up the inside of the box walls with fiberglass, do i cover all the wall panels top to bottom (i read somewhere that fiberglass should not be touching plywood or somethin)?

And do i have to cover the fiberglass with anything before i layer it with soundblock?And are there any cheep brands equivalent to SheetBlok Sound Barrier? And would i cover all the internal box panels top to bottom with auralex or could i just cover the center regions of the panels?And one more bare with me, should i cover the outside of the box with anything?

I Know lol i said a few questions haha but i'd be really greatful for the information, i want to be totally clear as ive visted many sites in the past few hours and no one has given me a decent answer (but you) without getting into hardcore technical complex answers..
    test
  8. AllOrNothinEnt

The fiberglass rigid acoustic panels, arent the same as fiberglass insulation, theyre a stiff, rigid fiberglass board.
    And no, you just lay the sheetblok on it.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.