Your FAVORITE album of ALL TIME... Did U Hear it when it FIRST came out, or later?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Nov 18, 2013.

1. King-Vis

King-Vis Buy Any Beats Necessary

My favorite (rap) album, "The Low End Theory" came out on my 4th birthday. Didn't know nothing about Tribe at that time!
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  2. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

dude, you're comparing people that have been rich their entire lives to someone who was literlly broke as fuck 5-6 years ago, did all the shit I'm talking about through his own vision, and is now rich and famous.

Tyler deserves props for that shit whether you like his music or not.
    test
  3. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

Tyler is wack I wish I didn't buy his album. He reminds me of Bizarre with his shock value bullshit
    test
  4. Kris Benwa

Kris Benwa Grown Man Bars....

^I like that he's gotten away from that. I used to didn't like him but I listened to Wolf and I really liked that shit. And now that he's toned down the bullshit I got more interested in the story that was there across his albums. After I understood what he was doing I've been trying to figure out all the story and shit and it's got me excited for his next album too. Honestly, I used to hate Tyler and Earl but now that I understand them a little better I see the art in their music and I like it.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  5. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I like Tyler, but that's a dumb statement... just like it's equally dumb to dismiss music just because you weren't around when it was made.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  6. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I'm still up in the air about it... but you of all people I thought wouldve taken tyler's side.

Arent you a fan of the release date, waiting for an album to drop, going to the store and buying it, ya know... the experience?

and think about it... what would be your favorite album of all time, and when did you first hear it?
    test
  7. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

yeah, I actually liked Goblin better, but 1 thing that improved on Wolf is the fact that he toned down the shock value and had much more substance this time around.
    test
  8. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

I think Wolf is wack as fuck, I was so disapointed.
    test
  9. Ace the Prophet

Ace the Prophet A Prophet to the Game

A lot of my favorite albums I heard much after their release date...I do really like being able to keep up with the albums as everything happens, though.

But like, The College Dropout is one of my absolute favorites and I remember watching the music videos on MTV2 all the time (it's Throwback Thursday, isn't it? lol). But I never went out and actually got the album until like 2007 or 2008 when Kanye was dropping Graduation. I just never bought many albums back then, though there were definitely a select few I did.

So I can see why a younger kid would be influenced by an album that came out when he was 2. Shit, some of those albums are turning points in hip hop history...and shit, how many musicians are influenced by artists from the 50s, 60s and 70s?? Not just relegated to hip hop, but across all genres...

After all, the best music is timeless
    test
  10. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

that was a great fucking album.

i can't remember if the first album i copped was dogg food or illmatic.

either way, i got it when they first came out and i've still got most of their songs in my playlist.

:numaan:
    test
  11. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

Fishscale by ghostface is my favourite album that i got pretty much when it came out, almost every track is top quality. The features and the beats are on point throughout. Marshall mathers lp, 8mile, devils night, college dropout, 2001, word of mouf and grodt are the only ones i got within a couple of months that would come even come into consideration. Fabolous's street dreams was really dope at the time aswell. Most of my all time favourite albums were from before my time or other dope ones like the ownerz i got afew years after they were released.

This track is so fucking dope, the best posthumous use of a verse ever imo. Fishscale is definitely worth a listen if you havent heard it.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  12. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

that's actually very close to the truth.

i've never heard justice been done to a posthumous verse as much as this, especially a biggie verse.

:numaan:
    test
  13. TheOriginalTonio

TheOriginalTonio New Member

Hi, I'm from Germany (so excuse my english pls).
    I want to tell you what is my personal favorite Album of all time and the Story how it happens.
    I was Born in 1987 and started to listen to HipHop-Music in 1999 at the Age of 11.

first contact with rap was at School back in the days with German rap. I heared "Deluxe Soundsystem" from Dynamite deluxe and it was fresh as Hell.
    From then on i listened to all HipHop stuff i could get.
    there was a few german rappers like Kool Savas, Tone, Dendeman and Samy Deluxe who paved the way for my HipHop fanship.

2 years later i started to hear some american shit. Generally Wu-Tang Clan and 2Pac.
    but i did'nt Understand any word.
    so I learned english by myself. (the shit we learned at School was not very helpful to understand rap lyrics^^)
    now i was addicted.

meanwhile it was 2003 and i listened to everything i missed in the years ago.
    Nas, Biggie, N.W.A. and all that stuff. especially Daz Dillinger was the shit for me.

and then came one day in 2005, i remember like it was yesterday and i still get goosebumps when i think back on it.
    we was smokin' some weed and listened to a mix CD that he recieved from another friend.
    there was a track on it called "No Surrender" from Bone Thugs-N-Harmony and it was like "WHAT THE HOLY FUCK?!?!?"
    I never heared some crazy flows ever before and I couldn't believe that I missed this Band all These years.

from then on i searched and found everything about these phenomenal rappers and became a very big fan of them.
    I heared every fuckin Bone Album and for me E.1999 is damn incredible but The Art of War is their Masterpiece.
    its my all time Favorite Album from my all time very favorite Musicians.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  14. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

• +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  15. TheOriginalTonio

TheOriginalTonio New Member

you should learn german too.
    because there are many many Songs with flows and lyrics, that can mess with american rap easily!

if you would understand the lyrics of this song, you would totally agree with me ;)
    its from the year 2000

test
  16. Superman70

Superman70 edited

dumb thing for tyler to say, but i think what he's getting at is that some rap fans just pretend to love certain albums because it's popular when in reality they probably never play those albums.
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

LOL... dream, my man, you continue to misunderstand me... now when I mention those experiences, THAT'S nostalgia... I'm not saying that in order to be a legitimate hip hop music fan, that you have to have been around since '79 when the music was first recorded... I have said that in order to really discuss greats, you have to have a thorough knowledge of the subject... you can't dismiss music that occurred before you got into it or music that you never heard because it wasn't on smash in your hood... that's different from saying you have to have been around when th tat album or song was released in order to like it or be able to relate to it... I was born in '75... and I like a lot of music from the '20s through the early '70s.
    test
  18. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I feel this... and I've always agreed with your last statement, because I used to say it constantly... I just don't understand why so many younger kids still dismiss rap music made before '93. They'll go back, but only so far.

For many, The Chronic is their starting point... and the net nerds will mention '80s Rakim, G. Rap or Kane, but not much else.
    test
  19. Bill Stacks

Bill Stacks Corrupt Kid

music from before then just doesn't relate i was born in 96 so i can still understand some references that biggie or Pac would have made where as i cant listen to someone like Ice T because it just doesn't relate our generations are way too different also most rappers from before 93 don't really make music anymore so i will never discover their talent because i just never heard it like jay-z still raps so i can go back and track his style
    test
  20. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Yeah that's kinda how I choose to read it. Plenty of fans try to go against the grain by bigging up classic stuff but in reality they're just name dropping.
    test