Your FAVORITE album of ALL TIME... Did U Hear it when it FIRST came out, or later?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by thedream233, Nov 18, 2013.

1. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

I was on Tyler the Creator's twiter page and I saw a tweet that said,

"DUDE YOU'RE 16, ILLLMATIC READY TO DIE AND REASONABLE DOUBT IS YOUR FAVORITE ALBUMS OF ALL TIME THAT CHANGED YOUR LIFE DRASTICALLY? OK BUD"

I wasn't sure how to feel about this at first because yeah I love 90s music, but most 90s rap I heard after I got the internet in the early-mid 2000s... so at first I disagreed with him...

but then I thought, my favorite album of all time is Bone Thugs n Harmony's East 1999 and Eternal, and I heard that when it came out...

and most of my fav albums of all time I heard right when they came out...

so now I guess I agree with what tyler is saying... I guess when you go through the experience of waiting for the album and hearing it on the radio and seeing all the music videos and interviews in real time... it just adds to the experience.

So I was wondering, you guy's favorite album of all time was and whether you heard it when it came out or did you hear it way after it came out....
    test
  2. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Well I'm big on 2pac and when he died I was.......9 and not listening to rap...soooooooo
    test
  3. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

when did u get into him?
    test
  4. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

Probably not until the early 2000s....so well after the albums came out.
    test
  5. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

Mine's also E.1999 and yes I heard it when it came out. Althought I've never been more excited for an album to drop in my life as much as I was for Art of War. I'm 32 and i can still rememeber walking out of the mall and popping that double cassette into my walkman like i just found a pot of gold. I listened to that shit straight thru, both tapes no break. I miss those days, I honestly feel sorry for kids today who didn't get to experience music the way i did in my teens
    test
  6. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Who said that? Tyler? He's a dumb fuck, imo. I say he's just tripping on his tired of Odd Future being compared to Wu-Tang shit still. Individuality invalidation PTSD.

I'd say 5 or so of my top 10 favorite albums I got when they were new, and the other 5 aren't.

A lot of the hip-hop I love was fresh to me when it was fresh to everyone, but not all of it... there are underground classics that I might not have discovered until a few years later when Napster and that came around. I only sorta knew who Wu-Tang was until Forever, and that album made me immediately buy 36 Chambers and all their solos.

Beyond that, my mom put me onto music before my time that changed my life and shaped my tastes... Beatles, Hendrix, Hawkwind, Creedence, Motown, Funk, Disco etc. Everyone who loves music discovers old music, and it's even more accessible than ever for teenagers online.

I feel like if I somehow discovered a lost classic at my age, I would love it, but it wouldn't give me those "back in the day feels" because you can't teach an old dog new tricks... but a young kid? That mind is a sponge, and dope is dope. With that said, I say whatever you get into and listen to during your formative years and the prime of your life is what you love most... whether it's new or old.

What's new to you is new, period.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  7. ThatsNotMyName

ThatsNotMyName The Conquering Lion

dream I think it's cool that you like Tyler's music, but that kid is a dumb asshole, don't listen to him.

I don't have a favorite album but certainly my favorite albums I listened to them after they came out. Fuck that shit, good music is relatable and timeless.

I remember when I was just getting into rap I listened to Parents just don't understand by Will Smith and I could relate to that shit when I was... like 16 and shit (or less, so 2000 and something), and how old is that song?
    test
  8. THEDONN

THEDONN One Love

tyler said sum real shit
    test
  9. ThatsNotMyName

you gots to be trollin.
    test
  10. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

Nah, homie I gotta disagree completely.

The kid is 21 years old, and he own his own record label, has his own tv show, directs his own music videos, makes his own beats, has his own fashion line. Most importantly, he believes that in order to be successful he has to be himself. Not anyone else. Hes not trying to be lil wayne or drake or jay-z.

He decides the type of music he puts out. So many rappers sign a deal and let record execs decide what to do with their music. In the 2013 age of the internet, he figured out that the best way to have long term success is to give people a unique product.

I'm 27 and I'm just realizing this.
    test
  11. ThatsNotMyName

So does the Kardashian sisters... Ima leave it at that... & end with my final thought... that "tweet" is dumb as fuck.
    test
  12. thedream233

thedream233 Thrillmatic

the kardashian sisters make beats, rap, and direct videos?
    test
  13. ThatsNotMyName

Not beats, but they have their own clothing line and tv show, and they make songs and act.

Paris Hilton, then, she is a dee-jay and has albums. You know what I mean, cause a nigga succesful doesn't make a nigga a role model or a wise man.
    test
  14. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Kim Kardashian is Kanye's ghostwriter.

Dudes can achieve all kinds of shit and still say dumb shit or be narrow minded as hell.
    test
  15. Kris Benwa

Kris Benwa Grown Man Bars....

My favorite album is Reasonable Doubt I did not hear it when it first came out though. I'm not sure if I would have appreciated it as much surrounded by all the other classics that came out that year so maybe it worked favorably. Some of my favorites I didn't hear until years later which speaks to their level of artistry to create music that's good years after it came out. I don't see a problem with having a favorite album that was before your time, as it were. I saw that tweet and didn't agree with it mostly because music being life changing doesn't have to do with age or year the music came out but the quality of the music and what part in life the listener is in. I have some fave albums I heard when they came out and some that I didn't does it really matter if you love hip-hop?
    test
  16. Vulgar

Vulgar 80s baby

I kinda agree about being around for the albums. But some of my favorites from other genres are from the late 60s and 70s. I wasn't around for that. One of my fav Hip Hop albums ever is The Score. Niggas NEVER mention it.

Cigar Life on Tapatalk 2
    test
  17. P. Chase

P. Chase Well-Known Member

Later

It's Illmatic and I first heard it like 10 years ago I think. But it still came out in the 90s.
    test
  18. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Mine too. Top 5 or 10, easy.
    test
  19. Tacky Jones

Tacky Jones www.TaCsmassivecock.gov

thats stupid. any album can impact you. granted some shit from the 1920s may be harder to relate to for you. but the 90s aint that far away.

Anyway for me, its between 3 albums, Eminem Show, Raw and K.O.D. I heard Eminem show within a year of it coming out, K.O.D right when it came out, and Raw i was about a year late on.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  20. Bill Stacks

Bill Stacks Corrupt Kid

Im 16 right now and i just re-discovered Jay-Z, Reasonable doubt is my favorite album because the lyrics and sound are timeless and i feel can still relate reasonable doubt made me realize why Jay-Z is seen as a legendary rapper oh and fuck tyler the creator nobody gives a shit about his opinion
    • +Rep +Rep x 2
    test