you think movies based on books detriment the sales of the book? ...

Discussion in 'The Alley' started by Nu'maaN, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

... or enhance it?

came about when i saw advertisements for the dome, based on the book by stephen king.

you'd think it enhances the sales, but if i have seen something, it's highly unlikely that i'll read the book.

of course, jrr tolkien is an exception, do you read books after seeing the movie or vice versa?

:numaan:
    test
  2. Superman70

Superman70 edited

the leadup to the movie boosts sales but im not sure about the years following the movie.

i think overall it's a net gain in most cases.

if it wasn't for the movie, most people wouldnt have read the book anyway.
    test
  3. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

I'd read the book to get the unrated version. In the book Junior would have had 2 dead girls in that bunker by now and he'd still be fcking them. Loadsa changes have been made, as it always happens, unless the series is made outside the US.
    test
  4. antilluminati

Looking forward to 6 seasons of American Gods by Neil Gaiman tho, he's doing it himself I think.
    test
  5. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well to answer your question i think all it can do is help the book sales. Because the book has already been out a while, way before the movies, so the book has gone through its sale stage, the movie will just re-up it and get a few more sales.

ive never seen someone write a book, then immediately have a movie for it before its had its fair shake in the book market.

so yeah, it helps the book for sure.

ill only watch a movie after reading the book, not the other way around. If ive seen the movie, fuck the book. Even if the books better it can suck my wangdangdoodle
    test
  6. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

I seldom watch a movie based on a book, unless I haven't read the book.

I've been disappointed in the past, as the movie doesn't do it justice.

Two exceptions I can think of are the Harry Potter series, as well as Lord of the Rings.
    test
  7. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well isnt there like 1000 pages of frodo walking aimlessly?

glad they left that out of the movies lol
    test
  8. MissBreezy

MissBreezy The God Pestilence

Ha ha, something like that.
    test
  9. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

very good point.

true, i find it hard to read about the characters once i've already seen them on screen.

but when i read about them before seeing them, i always like to see how close to my perspective they were.

:numaan:
    test
  10. antilluminati

If you're a fan of American Psycho I'd read the book as an example.. The book is usually better, more graphic and less "hollywood" which is always a bonus.
    test
  11. The Steve

The Steve Space monkey I am not

I think it depends on whether or not the movie sucked.
    test
  12. antilluminati

It seems that to people who love the book, the movie will nearly always suck-

Films like Shawshank redemption, Lord of The Rings, Blade Runner and such have been given a pass by the readers, it does sometimes work out.
    test
  13. Thomas Huxley

Thomas Huxley Well-Known Member

I like to recommend Dan Browns books to people who thought the movies sucked.
    test
  14. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

I think if the movie is done well it can boost book sales. Usually a movie based on a book comes out quite a while after the book hits the shelves so the sales of the books have gone down considerably and have probably leveled off to hardly anything. Then after the movie drops, the book sales will likely rise.

It's a favorable proposition for all parties involved.
    test
  15. Caesar

Caesar Natural Aristocracy

Most of my favorite film adaptations have inspired me to actually read the books.

Love the Godfather novels. I'd have probably been disappointed with films if I had read them first, honestly. More back story on Luca Brasi and Al Neri, Vito's dealings with Al Capone, etc.

Have been meaning to read the No Country For Old Men and Fight Club novels. Whenever I find the time to squeeze in fiction.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  16. J Keeper

J Keeper Super Jesus

Fight Club is awesome.

Read it for the small differences, the book follows the same generic plotline.

But little differences, like how he meets Tyler Durden, make the book worth reading.

Game of Thrones is worth reading.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  17. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

I think it's a fact that book sales go up with the hype for the movie because people want to read the book first. I think sales probably stay up for a while after the movie hits theatres. I don't really know long term, but I think the number of people viewing the movie goes down over time also, and so it might not really affect sales of the book in a negative way that much. But there are always people who would choose to watch a movie over reading a book, and so if they know both are available they choose the movie... which is probably what you're getting at.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  18. antilluminati

I definitely recommend reading the comics to every comic movie made. So much better than the films.
    test