Yo... shit gets overlooked here somethin SERIOUS

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by LCD Beats, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

Some cat didn't know why his music sounded shitty and listed his "vocal process"... to which AON replied:

Now, when I first started paying attention to mixing and EQ'ing vocals and I first started seeing his responses like this, I definitely thought "man, this mafucka is wildin... them vocal processes sound straight and I get an aight mix." Over the past 6 months or so I've realized that not only is this man telling us ALL some good shit... but he tells it to us AT LEAST twice a week, and shit consistently gets overlooked.

People need to understand that all those processes are not AIGHT... they're fuckin terrible. If everyone would take the time to learn BASICS, you could have some pretty nice results on your home setup. I mean, just look at it this way... u think Jay-Z, Outkast, Dr. Dre, Eminem, etc. go to the studio... record vocals... and tell the engineer to use Capheine's Vocal Edit Process???? Or do u think that they add Sho-Down's studio voice?? No disrespect to these cats, cause I used to use them as guidlines to my EARLIEST audios years ago... but mafuckas need to get with the times.

Now, if you're content with half-ass results... cool. Don't pay this thread any mind. But if you want your shit to sound CRISP... then I suggest u mafuckas learn how to mix and tweak. Shit, I'm no pro, but just fucking around with shit will teach u what basic results come from different tweaks and EQs, level changes. What people don't realize is that all these vocal processes came from 1 person, who did the "mix of their life" on 1 particular song.... so they posted what they did for that song thinking it was the prototype. Well, what if that person had a high-pitched voice and my shit is filled with bass? What if he had terrible equipment and mine is decent? Shit... 95% of the time, that "mix of their life" was actually pretty shitty to begin with.

Wake up mafuckas and try to do your own thing. Expand and evolve!
    test
  2. Cold North Flow

Cold North Flow original smooth

where the hell is the fun in using presets....and I agree whole heartedly.
    test
  3. Ice Kapone

Ice Kapone .. :: Kevin James :: ..

Very true.

I know someone who has a digi002 and his quality is ass cause he uses pre-sets lol .......rich asian kat that cant rap, just has money
    test
  4. Starving Artist

Starving Artist New Member

This Is All True...but The Problem Is, No One Explains How To Use Compression Or How To Mix. U All Use Jargon We Don't Know And Then When We Read Up On The Guides They Use The Same Jargon...it's Hard 2 Learn That Type Of Shit Over The Net. What Would Be Helpful Is If Someone Could Supply 2 Things. 1. What Should Be Added If Something Sounds A Certain Way. For Instance, If Something Is Muffled, What Should Be Turned Up (hi's Med's Or Lo's) Or And 2. Whats Compression Do? What's A Good Example Of It And When Should It Be Used. This Would Make Trial And Error Easier For Us Noviss Folks. We End Up Killing Our Mixes! I Can Not Tell U How Many Times I've Just Given Up On A Mix Because Whatever I Tried Just Made The Situation Worse. So Lcd, If U Could Reply To This It Would Be Helpful. Thx Ahead Of Time.
    test
  5. Verz

Verz Dubb Duece

^^Problem that could arise with that is people hear different things in music, you make think its muffled while he thinks its fine and really without hearing the track they couldnt give you the right advice. But learning to mix is a trial and error process, the more you do it the better you get and learn what to do and correctly.
    test
  6. Starving Artist

But See...thats What I'm Talking About. Im Not Suggesting We All Hear The Same Things. I Just Want To Know What What To Use If Iiiiiiii Hear A Certain Thing. THIS WOULD PREVENT ME FROM DOING RANDOM SHIT FUCKIN UP THE VOCALS EVEN MORE.
    test
  7. Starving Artist

Excuse The Caps. I'm At Work And We Ahve 2 Keep The Keyboard On Caps
    test
  8. AllOrNothinEnt

AllOrNothinEnt Retired from Rapmusic.com

Starving, you see most people wo come here, come across as if they understand the jargon, and know how to mix.
    So WE'RE given mixed signals.
    I know what I'm doing, hell I can tell you what any mix needs, BUT trying to explain to someone, who isn't me, isn't always easy.
    Everyone doesnt hear the same, as people dont see the same, and some are even color blind.
    MOST people dont have the ear to mix, so what they think is right, I may hear as bunk, but trying to explain that, to someone who CANT hear the mix right, is a never ending, and always losing battle.
    test
  9. LCD Beats

LCD Beats TYME President

test
  10. Starving Artist

Anon, That's Understandable. But Of Course I Wouldn't Use That Info As Law. I Just Need To Know What Things I Can Tweek To Make Whatever Doesn't Sound Right To Me Go Away. Even If I May Be Wrong...feel Me? Like. When Something Sounds Muffled To Me, I'll Turn The Hi's Up A Bit. I Just Need A Brief Overview Of What Certain Things Are For And I'm Down For Trial Or Error. But As I Said. Theres Nothing Worse Than Hearing Something Thats Muffled And Not Knowing Where 2 Begin 2 Make It Right. So If Someone Could Help Me W/ That. I Don't Need Much Info, Just What U Do When Something Doesn't Sound Right In Certain Instance. Again, I'd Use This Just As Somewhere 2 Start. Not To Take It As Written In Stone.

Lcd, Thx For That , I'm Gonna Check It Out
    test
  11. AllOrNothinEnt

If something sounds muffled, then I'd do this.
    Id check to see if the artist is spitting into the front of the mic, which is ALWAYS the side with the company logo on it, and if not, Id turn it around.
    Then Id check to see if his/her mic fit they're voice.
    Then, Id adjust the highs, adjust the lows, and go from there.
    test
  12. Starving Artist

LMAO
    test
  13. Rex Skully

Rex Skully .......

How/Where the hell do I learn to mix and eq?????????

shit I would do it and throw away my process if I knew anything about eq'ing...

drop some basics or something, i dont even know which eq to fuck with in CEP...
    test
  14. Rex Skully

Rex Skully .......

^^^^^^ Exactly what Im tryin'a say.

Ya'll can tell us that riding a bike is better and faster then walking...but if we dont know how to ride a bike we're going to have to walk.
    test
  15. AllOrNothinEnt

Dead serious, some artist come to me, not knowing which side to spit into lol
    test
  16. suZpect

suZpect New Member

you take me the words out my mouth.

someone drop some basics !! [kat]
    test
  17. AllOrNothinEnt

First step...

GOOGLE.COM

Second Step....

Search for basic mixing tips, and techniques

Third Step....

LEARN
    test
  18. PoetGrim

PoetGrim D.I.P

You'd be surprised how often that happens.
    test
  19. Verz

Verz Dubb Duece

^^thats the real process right there
    test
  20. slvicick

slvicick New Member

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.