Yellowman Interview

Discussion in 'Reggae Bashment' started by L u c y, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

* By Angus Taylor
    * On Dec 23rd 2009 United Reggae

[​IMG]

You recorded a huge amount of music. Dennis Alcapone, a deejay of the earlier generation, told me he would have preferred not to do so many releases in a short period. Do you agree?

(thinks) I wouldn't say it like that because music is music and if you love what you're doing you don't think about that. You just do it. So my response to that is - I love it and I'm very glad and appreciate that I do it.

What do you think of dancehall music today? Who are your favourite deejays?

The dancehall scene today is at a low rating because the guys bring the guns and the violence in the music now. I don't appreciate what's going on now.
    I don't think I have a favourite deejay now because the deejays nowadays they are dividing the youths. I have to stick with the righteousness of the content of the music. I would say people like Capleton, Buju, Cutty Ranks, Daddy U Roy of course. There are some new very good singers coming out that I like too. I like Luciano. I like Jah Cure. I like Tarrus Riley. I like Etana. I love Queen Ifrica. What I think is ruining the music industry are the younger dancehall artists. Because a lot of journalists ask me the same questions about 'nothing good coming out of the dancehall again' or even out of reggae. A lot of artists use the music as a channel to bring in the violence out of the music.

Dancehall deejays' lyrical content has been criticised many times. Apart from violence are there any topics that are off limits for discussion?

I would say freedom doesn't mean you're free to do the wrong thing or free to say the wrong thing. And then, besides that, you can't get into a man's private life. Everybody has a right to decide their own destiny or which way they want to go, just as long as it's not going to hurt you. I think, even with the homophobic lyrics, you have to let people do what they think is right and let Almighty God be the judge. Every man has an equal right to live and be free.

You are a fan of Michael Jackson. You've mentioned him many times in your lyrics. How did you feel about his passing?

Yeah man! I love Michael. I even used to dress like Michael Jackson. It was a big loss for the music industry. I didn't feel that well because it was a waste. Too much controversy going on, that's the reason why after Thriller, his career was on the down-low. But it was always up and down you know? The child molesting and all those allegations, whether it was true or not, that was the downfall of Michael's career.

You yourself have faced many hardships. You grew up as an orphan. You have had money stolen from you. You have survived cancer. What kept you going strong?

The thing that kept me going is the people. I want to entertain the people all the time. I don't care what it costs because I try to live for the people and I try to entertain the people. I don't want to do anything else. The people are my energy. The Almighty God is my life. The people keep me going because they support me throughout the years and the decades and they are still supporting me so it's got to be the people you know? I just want to let them know that I appreciate all that they've done and that they are the ones who motivate me and give me inspiration to keep on doing what I'm doing. Because if it wasn't for the people I wouldn't be doing this. And I want them to be good. And if they can't be good - be nice. And I want them to be careful. And if they can't be careful - be happy and joyful.
    test
  2. L u c y

L u c y (Administrator) SWERVE

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.