Year of the Dragon.

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by GaLaTeA, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

but the remnants arent what actual french people do in french countries, its what they did here under the circumstances and environment they lived in. Its parts of one culture mixed with the results of anothers environment causing its own culture. Alligator hunting, is part of their culture, their music is french folk influenced, but here has alligator hunting in some of those ballads. Music is part of their culture, and theyve made the subject matter their own. French people in canada or france dont sing french folk music about alligators
    test
  2. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

this is why i asked how you define culture, cause i can see there being a plausible argument that no such distinct culture as 'american' exists, but rather that america does have a unique cultural make up

the way i see culture is sort of just as traditions and customs that define a people, and so obviously a (relatively) young country which was built on immigration will have a lot of cultural remnants from the lands which its citizens emigrated from

yet there are certain aspects of american culture which are definitively 'american' in the eyes of both americans and the rest of the world, even if they did develop from earlier traditions outside america.

one classic (albeit antiquated) example would be the american cowboy, a culture which can be traced back to spain and yet takes on a particular flavor in the american southwest. this culture has spawned its own line of folklore, music, art, movies, customs and morality... everything that typically defines a culture.

obviously this isn't (or wasn't) a culture that is universal amongst americans. so your point that each locality has its own culture is true to an extent, but this is by no means unique to america. also, notice there are generally regions we identify in america on the basis of culture (the south, the southwest, the midwest, the great plains, the north east). these regions are not completely culturally united. for instance, if you live in the south you know the difference between alabama and south carolina. they speak differently, have different customs, etc. yet to outsiders they probably appear highly similar. this is because the differences within the region are less obvious than the cultural differences between two different regions. likewise, to a non-american these regions are harder to identify, and we all appear somewhat similar. this is because the differences between the regions is less than the difference between america and a completely different country.

so is there a universal american culture? that's hard to say. there are aspects of 'american culture' that are generally universal but are not necessarily limited to america. but its the distinct combination of characteristics that defines american culture. i'd argue you could say the same for greek culture, roman culture, nordic culture, etc. obviously america hasn't had as long to distinguish itself as these more ancient examples. but none of these cultures are completely original or pure.
    test
  3. breathlesss

breathlesss Registered Sex Offender

i agree all the way up to the very last sentence
    at some point, far, far back, there was original, pure, regional cultures, before mass defined civilizations started warring with other cultures outside of it's own climate/ecosystem, this is when i consider culture to start breaking down, moreso as the melting pot grows, not a bad thing, but i just consider what most see as american culture, to be more american nationalism.

i guess the most concise way to say it is, i can't consider america's common traits to be a culture because it is not indigenous, or old enough to create it's legitimate own
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.