Yeah...Building Vocal Booth - In Progress (Pics Coming)

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Luminous, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

Sup guys...I'm in the process of building my vocal booth...I will have pics on the way...let me explain how it is and what I'm doing...

---------------------

I got the materials yesterday and got to work...

One 6" X 8" (I think) Clear Acrylic Sheet (for the window)

Thirty 2 X 2's (or as they turned out to be 1.5x1.5's)

Six 6' X 8' Hardwood sheets (the shit they make clipboards out of...thin, but hard as fuck.

10 Sheets of Styrofoam siding/insulation

White Polyurethane Foam from joan fabrics...got 10 yards...I'm gonna need more though.

Screws, etc.

------------------------

Basically...the frame is built...It is 4 X 6 X 7

The frame is erected...but the frame-walls are not connected yet...they just lay against each other.

I used 4 vertical studmounts in each 6 Foot wall...and 3 vertical studmounts in each 4 foot wall. I am going to put horizontal reinforcements in between each stud as well.

After the frame is put together, and the walls are on the frame, I'm going to make the interior walls out of the styrofoam sheets. This will create a flat service to put the foam on.

I will also cut the hole and frame the window at this time.

My entryway has been decided to be some sort of hanging device...a heavy blanket or curtain type thing...I got a door but its a bitch to try and put on...its fucking crazy...so I'm takin it back...I ain't a carpenter...My goal wasn't to tryand build a soundproof booth...it was to build a booth for vocals where you won't hear echo and such in the microphone...If you want yours soundproofed then just put a door on it (good luck)...

In the future, depending on its cost...I will cover the outside with acoustic fabric.

I'll update you with some pictures during progress and as well as complete...
    test
  2. MookHustle

MookHustle New Member

sounds good homie, keep up the good work
    test
  3. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

You think the drape isntead of a door will cause any problems????

Its a very small opening where the drape is going to be...about 2 feet wide...out of the 6 foot side.

I don't care if sound escapes into the room...I care if it will affect the vocal quality in the recording.
    test
  4. MookHustle

MookHustle New Member

i would say forget the drape and go with the door....personally that;s what i would do. you would most likely get better quality. stay up.
    test
  5. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

how will the door give better quality over the drape...if anything...it lets more sound out of the booth...thats sound that doesn't bounce around the inside and get picked up by the mic? Right?
    test
  6. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

why dont you just make the entire booth out of drapes then dummy

GET IGNANT

then figure out that a drape is a dumbass move
    test
  7. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

I don't think you understand...

everything is soundproof except for one 2 ft. section of drape...out of a booth thats 6 x 8 feet...thats not a lot of space...

so how is the little 2ft section going to disrupt all the rest of the soundproofing?

Answer my question without a dumbass remark please. If you are actually correct...then you should be able to give a reasonable explanation.
    test
  8. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

let me use an analogy.

say you have an airplane. the entire plane is pressurized so that you don't pass out because you're so fucking high in the sky. got that much? okay. now, say that we just made a 2 ft section of the plane (which is huge btw) out of drapes. the plane no longer will stay pressurized, and you may be sucked out and die a horrible death at 35,000 feet.

YA DIG?

any piece of the booth that is not completely closed during recording is going to compromise the whole thing. it's an all or nothing situation.
    test
  9. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

hahaha...you dont know what ya talkin about...the booth isn't pressurized, so the airplane analogy doesnt work...and to tell you the truth, you watch too many movies...you can open a door on an airplane and you won't be sucked out...if you are too high, yes you won't be able to breathe cause no oxygen...but it won't suck you out, and it won't compromize the situation (if you have oxygen that is)
    test
  10. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

we are talking about sound being picked up by a microphone...not being in an airplane (where sound doesnt mean jack shit)
    test
  11. drop1ne

drop1ne TH WORLDS AFRAID OF ME

but the drapes are going to compromise it because the mics going to pick up outside noise and if im not mistakein some of your voice echoing off your bedroom walls
    test
  12. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

the airplane analogy works fine, the point isnt to be that the booth is literally pressurized but go for the door man...its just hinges right? or sliding? The door is the best
    if sound escapes it can get back in causing more reverb and you dont want that, a drape is okay maybe BEHIND some foam or sumthin (think moving carpet shit) but it will not do as a doorway
    test
  13. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

sound going out the door will never make it back in...sound doesn't reflect straight....and it will disperse in the room before it makes it back in the 2 foot space...especially after its passed twice through a heavy blanket
    test
  14. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

dont ask for comments if your sure ur gonna do it and we cant tell you otherwise....do the drape and tell us the quality, wut we say doesnt matter
    test
  15. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

I will let u know how it works...and you can listen to the quality to see...maybe it will save people a lot of trouble who are building booths.
    test
  16. rez0nate

rez0nate New Member

I would also go for the door, because the drape wil cause unwanted echo, and in any other booth have you seen a drape? Trust me, the drape will cause that lil reverb that sounds like your stuck in a box, because if the WHOLE thing isnt soundproof sounds will leak out and get places theyre not supposed to, and im guessing you have a high quality mic so you know that lil noises will be recorded....
    test
  17. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

i was gonna say the same exact thing. why ask for comments when you gonna just say "fuck you i know whats best"

plus you didnt get the airplane shit at all, i'm not sayin tha booth is pressurized i'm trying to explain to you the importance of having a complete booth surrounding you without any drapes letting sound out.
    test
  18. Jel

Jel BC's Finest

And u gotta think of it like this, if sound can escape the booth, sound can get back in.
    Simple as that!
    test
  19. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

^^^werd to big bird on that shit
    test
  20. Luminous

Luminous Burbaby

the thing is...my quality is good with the KSM without a booth at all...very little echo...etc...

im sure 4 walls with soundproofing and one drape will be even better than the setup i have now...i dont need it to be perfect perfect perfect.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.