XXL Rates 50 Cents 'The Massacare'

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by lyrical impact, Feb 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lyrical impact

lyrical impact New Member

XXL rates 50 Cent- The Massacre

50 Cent - The Massacare
    Rating: XL

We've seen it happen time and time again. MC So-and-So debuts strongly only to crash and burn with their second LP. It's plagued the likes Jeru the Damaja, Raekwon, and the Pharcyde. Most artists usually blame the failure of their re-up disc on the dreaded sophomore jinx. But for every MC So-and-So, there is an exception. Someone like 50 Cent, a definitive star that makes more hits than excuses. Although his 2003 debut Get Rich or Die Tryin' moved over 10 million units worldwide, the rap behemoth looks to get even richer with The Massacare.

Relying on the same Formula 50 that brought him success in the past, the G-Unit boss packs his latest opus with pistol-packin' bravado and P.I.M.P. talk that, though expected, is strengthed by his name tax bracket. For the most part, the combination works. Take "Position of Power," where Fiddy recaps his meteoric climb to success over JR's criminally hard drums ("Made a hundred mil off music, hundred grand off crack/ Now I'm about to see my ***eler so I can blow off a stack"). The potent percussion play continues on the broke-Mac-sprayin' "Piggybank," where the Queens native fires back at everyone from Shyne to Jadakiss to Fat Joe, who gets hit with "That fat ***** thought 'Lean Back' was 'In Da Club'/ My shit sold 11 mil', his shit was a dud."

But man can't live off beef alone. So instead of taking shots at rapper, Mr. Jackson aims for the female mind and body, providing explicit and specific instructions on how to reach his G-G-G-G spot, on the Scott Storch-produced "A Lil' Bit" and scrumptious first single "Candy Shop." 50 then thaws out his heart on the potetional summer scorcher "So Amazing," which, along with lead single, features G-Unit First Lady Olivia.

As the project continues, pussy, power, pistols, and paper seem to be the dominating themes. But like one of 50's mentors once said: Been there, done that. What fans (or maybe just critics) wanna hear from an artist positioned as the Biggie or Jay-Z of this new generation is growth and evolution--in layman's terms: classic shit. Instead Hi-Tek's sonically charged instrumental for "Get In My Car" gets bogged down with misogynistic ramblings. The same can be said for "Ski Mask Way" and "This Is 50." While the latter's potential is supplied by Sha Money XL's smorgasbord of key flavors, lyrically there's nothing rewind-worthy.

Rather than push the envelope, 50 opts to play it safe. That's sad, considering there are glimpses of a deeper Curtis Jackson lurking beneath the surface. On the Dr. Dre-produced "Talkin' Bout Me," 50 freaks his version of "Stan" by spitting four verses about himself from the perspective of others. Then, on "Baltimore Love Thing," he pens a conceptual tale about a twisted love/hate relantionship with the female personification of herion. And if you need further proof of 50's depth, just check the introspective "God Gave Me Style," where he informs how lonely it is at the top.

Problem is, 50's deeper message is buried under all the bling-bling, bullets, and battling. That's not to say The Massacare isn't a solid collection that ravages the sophomore jinx. It's just that times it feels like 50 Cent got rich and stop trying.
    test
  2. AlmostFamous

AlmostFamous U got a problem?

"That fat ***** thought 'Lean Back' was 'In Da Club'/ My shit sold 11 mil', his shit was a dud."

not a very valid argument, considering both were big time hits just at different times

I swear some times rappers go over board, as if they are just looking for someone to beef with..
    test
  3. lyrical impact

lyrical impact New Member

50's new album wont outsell GRODT
    test
  4. MicMyth

MicMyth Active Member

He means album wise...

the Terror Squad cd flopped.
    test
  5. the student

the student New Member

Jeru and the Pharcyde had great second albums I don't know what XXL is talking about, you can't only measure success by record sales.
    test
  6. the student

the student New Member

Oh yeah...the Pharcyde sold a lot of Labcabincalifornia. "Runnin' was a big hit, it was the theme song to some old TV show, might've been New York Undercover...
    test
  7. Dialted

Dialted Mr. Ted dial

Its getting bootlegged the fuck out of lol.

All praise the internet.
    test
  8. UNCLE BUNGLE

UNCLE BUNGLE New Member

for true, wrath of the math was an amazing 2nd album, i think immobilarity is rather good too (better than lex diamond),
    test
  9. shady_J

shady_J Hi Hater

album is pretty good....though i see mad hating on it all over the net.
    test
  10. ANDtheMC

ANDtheMC New Member

nah, it is true... he means record-sales wise... he's sayin' Fat Joe's album didn't sell shit and he sold 11 mill so Lean Back couldn't be In the Club cuz In the Club got 'em 11 mill in sales... not defending 50 though cuz he's a gay ass muh'fucka
    test
  11. Mr. sickVisionz

Mr. sickVisionz The Gentleman's Producer

"Lean Back" is a case of "what the fuck happened?" Technically, I think it stayed on the charts longer and had a higher spot, but that Terror Squad CD is barely gold.
    test
  12. East

East Dream/Clone

higher spot than in da club? in da club was number one for like infinite weeks...no way lean back was a bigger single...in da club was a big crossover hit, i think lean back wasnt so big on non r&b/rap charts but i could be wrong
    test
  13. Iceodu921

Iceodu921 Resident Sports Genius

xxl lost all creditablity wit that jeru line. 50's albums wack but its till gonna sell. shit look at all the threads already.
    test
  14. Sick-Scripts

Sick-Scripts Stylish Irish = McFly

what happened to that "Talkin Bout Me" song they talked bout?

it didnt make the final cut?

it sounded like a nice concept
    test
  15. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

Of course you can, what do you think success is? Maybe you meant you can't measure SKILL by record sales, which is true. But in entertainment, i believe the more you sell, the more successful you are. You see, in entertainment you have to entertain people and the more people you entertain, the more successful you are.

Let's not all dog 50 now, cuz bottom line is that people wanna hear his music. the purpose of the MC is to make the people listen and enjoy the rhymes. People wanna hear 50, and not just little teenie boppers neither...50's on top, he's the exact story every MC wishes would happen to them, and unfortunately most of'em hate him for it. Everyboy looks at 50 and says "why ain't that me, I can spit hotter"....Maybe so, but not at the moment so respect him for what he can do.
    test
  16. Illuziun

Illuziun na mean

um
    ummmmmmmmmmm

wtf thats the dumbest thing ive read in a while
    test
  17. westcoast21

westcoast21 New Member

IF 50 got an XL the Game better aleast get that. The Documentary Shit all over this wack ass CD
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.