XBox 360 Lens Cleaning

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by Wrectify1, Dec 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Ok, so I called Xbox tech support today because my 360 was acting crazy this morning..not wanting to read discs n such. Anyone who owns a DVD player knows that it's typically a dusty, dirty lens. Well, I wanted to ask them...did they recommend any type of lens cleaning device. They told me that lens cleaning devices risk damaging the internal hardware which will subsequently result in voiding your warranty. WTF??, how can you NOT clean a lens on a compact disk player??? That's like common practice!...How can you design a $400 system, which I am happy with and I am not complaining abt...but..nontheless....How can you design a system that has a CD LENS that CANNOT BE CLEANED. They were like.."we're sorry sir, all you can do is clean the disc tray"..yea, LIKE THAT IS GOING TO HELP! So I said...you know what...I am going to treat this thing like my home PC.

I hooked up my vacuum cleaner...I put one of those attachments on...and I ran it over every vent that the thing has.....I've had no problems since. Dust is some crap. I'll go to walmart one day to buy a dust cover though. I thought I'd share this...but I recommend dusting the thing out with ur vacuum cleaner at least once a mth. If ur not playing ur 360...cover it up with a computer cloth or a towel or something.

Xbox Tech support sucks!
    test
  2. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

Ok, I take this back....my 360 is not reading any discs at all. WTF?

shit....I think my dvd drive may have went out.
    test
  3. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

if you tell most warranty service reps that your using a cd lense cleaner they will refuse to repair the item....what happens is some of the brushes on those lense cleaner set actually scratch the lense....also if theres hard particle on the lense it can scratch the surface with movement of the brush...so to save thier ass and make it less hassle...any use of a lense cleaner voids warranty coverage due to 3rd party interference......its pretty common on most lense warranties including pc optical drives....
    test
  4. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

I understand. It turns out that it wasn't a dirty lens. I called customer support again, there were corrupted files or something on my hardrive. So, I had to clear the hard drive...it's working now though.
    test
  5. LiQuiD6

yea thats some scary shit.......if i lost my mass effect save files i would kill someone....i got 30 hours in on that game so far.....also got my season just about finished in nba 2k8.....yea i would go mad
    test
  6. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

I had a lot game time for mass effect as well...not to mention, I had JUST beaten 8 levels of Call of duty 4. I am pissed.
    test
  7. ReverseSWAT

ReverseSWAT Active Member

That sucks. I have an air purifier between my PS3 & 360 that collects a shitload of dust. Could straight up knit a sweater with it all. I suggest getting one cause they help alot.
    test
  8. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

You have a point there...I even wiped the top of my 360...that stuff was sitting atop of there like a light snowfall. I'll check out an air purifier though...I'm sure everything will benefit from it...including the new HD television I just got. If either one of those breaks..I am going to snap. Both cost me alot of money. My PS2 is dusty too...but you know what...those things were built to be durable. First off, I believe the vents have dust filters covering them...second of all...a couple mths back...I accidentally dropped a 26 inch tv on my PS2...it still works, it only suffered a minor scrape!!! Now, if u drop a tv on the 360...you will basically be SOL...it's a good system..but it's fragile and unstable as hell. When u play ur 360..u basically have to sit it in a baby's crib.
    test
  9. LiQuiD6

if you sit it in a babys crib it will overheat with the baby blankets......HAH
    test
  10. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

LOL
    test
  11. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

i'm having that at the moment.

It's not a major problem, but every so often (like twice a week) it'll randomly decide the disc isn't readable. but all i have to do is reset the console and it's fine.
    test
  12. Wrectify1

Wrectify1 New Member

resetting the console was working for a minute but it is going to get to a point where it won't even recognize games anymore at all. It'll just play DVD's. These things were built with cheap dvd drives I think.
    test
  13. __WARLOCK__

__WARLOCK__ New Member

yeah even buying new packed CDs 360 shows error reading disc
    test
  14. Brutemaster48

Brutemaster48 New Member

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.