wtffff - build a talkbox for under $6

Discussion in 'Audio Producers Discussions' started by The Mad Notes, May 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F Major

F Major Anti Gear Lust

That would be more than slightly detuned, when you are programming a moog for a bass tone you would slightly detune the oscillators to make it sound larger.
    test
  2. th3r3isn0futur3

th3r3isn0futur3 Active Member

workin on one mayn, figured I'd post some pics - doin it a lil difference. rather than use a speaker wit a build-in amp, gun try an external amp...

using 5' long 1/2" outside diameter vinyl tubing, lil 7 x 7 piece of wood, some caulking, wood glue, epoxy, 6" speaker wit a driver, clear tape (thought I had duct tape, apparently not)

[​IMG]

put caulking on both sides of the tubing so it'd be sealed better, thought about puttin tape inside but this should be good nuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also have a lil custom conversion box I built, from regular aux to speaker wire - nice lil tool to have, easy to make.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

soldered and taped down the speaker wire, for a lil more security - gun put another board on this one to form an L shape, the box will be mounted on that and the wire will be stapled on to secure it a lil better

[​IMG]

lettin the shit dry for now mayn, I'll let ya'll know how it turns out tomorra
    test
  3. th3r3isn0futur3

hopefully this shit will work and wasn't for nuthin... haha.
    test
  4. Turl

Turl Producer

let us know how it goes..

what do you hook it up to tho?
    test
  5. The Mad Notes

The Mad Notes That shit is the... ?

th3r3isn0futur3.. let us know how that thing works... whats the big white thing u using to cover the speaker? PVC?

My problem was that I used a thin plastic covering that wouldnt trap the sound inside... altho it was air tight, it REALLY sucked at trapping that noise in.

PS: epoxy is some hardcore shit.
    test
  6. th3r3isn0futur3

[​IMG]

the lil metal box on the left is what I'm goin to use to hook it up - I sold my last hard synth a while back, and at the moment I only use reason - so I'ma make a malstrom/subtractor patch, have a dedicated amplifier, and use that lil box to go to the speaker

Mad Notes - yeah I used a 6" diameter PVC pipe, got it from lowes.... shit cost $12, but eh... big deal mayn haha. it should work, my only concern is the seal between the wood and the pipe, but it should be good

if it works well, I'm thinkin bout cuttin out the corners to make it completely round and paintin it black, and jus keepin it as a nice lil accessory to the studio haha.

mayn I'm dyin to try the shit out, but gotta let it dry... damnit... haha
    test
  7. th3r3isn0futur3

that PVC cap is some hardcore shit btw, like 3/4" thick

dropped the shit on mistake n it bounced like a freakin basket ball haha
    test
  8. th3r3isn0futur3

things workin alright.... tryna make the best patch for the talkbox effect, but shits pretty ill mayn, concept anyways

I think I used too large of a speaker, so I'ma try a smaller one ... sounds leaks a lil, but overall it ain't bad

dun think I'ma be usin it in too many songs though haha

and my pathetic attempt at some talkbox work... this is basically what mine sounds like wit a saw/square wave patch I made

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=265841&songID=5307118

dun expect any fancy keys
    test
  9. The Mad Notes

The Mad Notes That shit is the... ?

That was tight.. sounded tons better than mine. I'm gonna have to go to Lowes and get the big PVC cap. Then I'm thinking about coating the entire inside of it with something to block the sound more.
    test
  10. th3r3isn0futur3

yeah I was wonderin what would happen if I put in some kinda material to deaden the sound inside.... but didn't know whether that'd cancel the effect or not nahmean
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.