Wtf? Why IS Samuel Jackson in "everything"???

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Toucan_Sam1, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I'm not saying she didn't do a good job, I just think she didn't show enough humility or sadness when the situation called for it... she was confident and brash throughout the entire flick... maybe that's how she was supposed to be written, but it didn't seem believable... and why did they have her sing a song from an '80s Broadway musical for a film set in the '60s and '70s? I didn't understand that one. I think there could've been more indepth characterization of the "dream girls," as well, just so we could see what made them tick... I guess, it was just one of those "style over substance" flicks.

There have been films that have garnered that many nominations and didn't receive a BP nod... the value of that award is so manufactured and contrived that it's meaningless to me. Although I know it still commands respect in that Hollywood community.
    test
  2. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

I think her performance was merely her interpretation of Florence Ballard.
    I'm sure there were inaccuracies as there always are in films of this kind, but I didn't so much mind the lack of humility. She was definitely humbled by her circumstances. And that resonated with me much more than any personal sentiment could've... Sometimes it takes hitting that brick wall for some folks to straighten up and fly right. Especially for people who are as brash as "Effie" was.

Your guess is as good as mine.

I think it was a foregone conclusion across Tinsel Town that this film would snare that BP nom though. I'm much more satisfied with the fact that Hudson and Murphy were nominated for Oscar gold. And that Forest Whitaker appears to be the frontrunner for Best Actor.
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I hope Eddie wins... who are his competition? Whitaker is long overdue as well.
    test
  4. Ixtlan

Jackie Earle Haley, "Little Children"
    Mark Wahlberg, "The Departed"
    Alan Arkin in "Little Miss Sunshine"
    Djimon Hounsou, "Blood Diamond"

I won't hold out hope that Eddie wins Best Supporting Actor...
    Me thinks that'll go to Haley.

I think Blacks will have their day at the Academy anyway though with Whitaker taking "Best Actor" and Jennifer Hudson coming out of nowhere to win "Best Supporting Actress".

And if she does win she had better get really good people behind her (I hear roles are being thrown at her right and left). As we've seen in the past snaring Oscar Gold rarely pays off for Black actors.

Don't believe me? Ask Cuba or Lou...
    And in a few more years...Jamie.
    test
  5. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

^Throw Halle in the mix, as well... they call it the "Oscar curse"... right after they win, they make a string of bad movies.

The Oscar carries with it a huge selling point for actors... just like in the music biz with name brand producers.

I'm not sold on Hudson yet... I need to see more work from her. And I still think the Oscar Halle received was a "gift." The best black female actress working today is Sanaa Lathan.
    test
  6. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I think Wahlberg should've gotten a nod for "Boogie Nights"... he absolutely killed that role... and maybe one for "Fear," as well... dude is a great actor. He and Philip Seymour Hoffman are two of my favorite male actors right now.
    test
  7. khughes2345

khughes2345 New Member

his voice motherfucker thats why
    test
  8. Ixtlan

It's unfortunate.

I'm not sold on her as an actress yet, but I was impressed with her DG performance. Hopefully she does something a bit more subtle next so she isn't typecast Sam Jack-style.

I think it was a make-up for having missed out in the past.
    Just like Zel's was.

Sanaa Lathan's good. She's very good.
    I'm holding out hope that she'll get a meaty role sometime in the near future.
    These romantic comedies/dramedies aren't giving her the chance to really stretch out. Though I think she's played those roles as well as she could've.

Hey, did you ever see "Something The Lord Made"?
    Mos was really good in that flick.
    test
  9. Ixtlan

Wahlberg's never really impressed me.
    And I saw BN.
    test
  10. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I think, with the Oscar wins, come bigger paychecks... so that factors a lot in their post-Oscar role picks.

Sam is a decent actor... his prolific track record kinds belies that, though...

That role was perfect for Hudson... she may have sung and sassed her way to Oscar gold, we'll see... she'll get more work most def, but I'm wondering whether she'll be able to really stretch out. Then there is the weight thing... 'thin is still in' for major leading lady spots. If she don't lose it, she'll get typecast as the "big girl" and it'll be mentioned in every role.

Denzel... yes.

But Halle? You think she had Oscar-worthy material in the past? And please don't say "Losing Isaiah." Puuuhhleez!!

She might have to start sleeping with some of these producers... j/k. But I hear that stereotype is very true, though... it's how Tyra got the role in Singleton's "Higher Learning." I also heard the same is true of Halle... she was fucking Snipes and Lee on the set of "Jungle Fever."

No, is it out on DVD?
    test
  11. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I like dude... I didn't care for "Four Brothers," though.
    test
  12. Ixtlan

Indeed it does.
    I just wish actors would learn to play "small ball" here and there.
    Take lower profile roles/films.

I think she's gonna walk with Oscar Gold.
    And that will become one of the biggest rags-to-riches story in Tinseltown history.
    She came out of nowhere. Much like the girl who played Ray Robinson's mother in "Ray". She killed that role.

And she'll become Loretta Devine.

Why not? You don't think that was an Oscar-worthy performance?

Really?
    Halle and Wesley were an item at one time so I believe it, but Singleton and Tyra?

Yes it is... On sale for 10 bucks over at Amazon.
    test
  13. Tray_Is_Gay

Tray_Is_Gay Sup, Tray?!

Boogie Nights was Whal-turd's ONLY good movie....

And that faggot doesn't deserve respect, he used to be a poser-wigger piece of shit cracker bitch tryin to rap and be all hood....

fuck outta here, he ain't deserve nothin....
    test
  14. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Well, being hot is a huge asset for any performer... the more you're in the public eye acting, the more you'll get noticed by producers and casting directors for those cherished, "meatier" roles. So it's both a means of living and an investment, I guess. Then it's a double-edged sword, because if you're typecast in a bunch of bad movies, your stock might plummet.

I don't know... I'd be very surprised if she won. There is a lot of hype, though... just like with Jamie in "Ray," which I was also surprised he won.

She played a better crackhead in Jungle Fever. I think her best performance was in Dorothy Dandridge. Everything else has been average. And no matter at all of the post-fame hype, Robin Givens still rocked her in Boomerang.... both in acting and beauty.

Hell yeah... they were very public. Tyra used to tower over him, too. I'm thinking dude is no more than 5'6". She broke up with him over his answering machine soon after the movie dropped. She admitted that on Jay Leno. I thought that was very immature of her and I've hated her ever since because of it.

Quiet as kept, I think Singleton was giving wood to Taraji Henson, too. He handpicked her for "Hustle & Flow," and of course, she was his lead actress in "Baby Boy." I remember reading an article about the Hustle & Flow joint before it dropped and Henson was quoted as saying she really appreciated him for giving her opportunities. Then Singleton came with the money-maker by saying, "As long as I'm producing or directing movies, you'll never be out of work." That made the lightbulb go on... I mean, Henson is fine as fuck, too.
    test
  15. jonjyzzle

jonjyzzle JonJyzzle

come on, i mean who saysMOTHER FUCKERbetter than sam jackson???plus im pretty sure if u had the chance to be in a movie and get paid for it, you'd do it. that man gotta eat too. u gotta respect the next man's grind.
    test
  16. Ixtlan

She's the odds-on favorite to win that category.
    Whether or not she will, for political reasons, remains to be seen.

Henson's hit and miss...
    Sometimes she's attractive. Sometimes she's not.
    test
  17. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

^I haven't really seen her when she's not... got any pics? I think she looks best with less makeup... like she was beautiful to me in "Hustle & Flow." So it's hard to imagine her looking off unless she has on too much or the wrong makeup.
    test
  18. Ixtlan

I'm guessing you haven't seen "Baby Boy"?

Remember the scene where she talks with Jody's mother in the garden?
    Eww...
    test
  19. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

What? She was slammin'! See, this is where our tastes differ... she was stunning throughout that whole movie... even in the opening scene when she came from the abortion clinic all sad and melancholy. I also liked the girl who played "Peanut."
    test
  20. murdamal86

murdamal86 New Member

ding ding ding
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.