Wtf? Why IS Samuel Jackson in "everything"???

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Toucan_Sam1, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

Backtracking now ay?

Let you tell it Smith's career accomplishments are proof that Hollywood is free of racism. That is, until the man himself chimes in on the topic.
    test
  2. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

he takes all the roles so there wont be any left for the rappers. that is his master plan
    test
  3. Gorilla Nasty

Gorilla Nasty I'm lame TBH

It's not even worth it man. Everybody here knows more than everybody in the world. So when you bring up Will Smith and Denzel Washington themselves talking about racism in Hollywood the argument turns into "well what do they really know?". Cause I'm sure that some random person on a message board knows more about acting, Hollywood and racism in Hollwood more than award winning actors.
    test
  4. Ixtlan

You're right GN.

I was just hoping at some point all of the information I've provided would be the light at the end of EA's tunnel. I was wrong. I'm wasting my time.
    test
  5. MicroMeezy

MicroMeezy New Member

Ethan I understand all your talk about the stats and such but, face it... racism has an effect just about anywhere in America. Acting is a job just like any other, and the only reason black actors are working now is to make money off of other black people for the bigwigs up top... but the black actors actually ending up better than some of the white actors was not a part of the plan. Money for the bigwigs is... like an actors Affirmative Action.

Now, as we discuss that we want our black actors/actresses to get some well-deserved awards, you come in with more excuses for the people in charge... I don't get how some people can honestly say racism has no role ANYWHERE...

Thats just crazy.

I don't care how many stats you pull up, there is underlying racism in all facets of American culture.
    test
  6. Ixtlan

That's just it though... He has no data to support his claims.

I don't mind him not knowing so much.
    It's hard to know what the reality of it is if you aren't dealing with it everyday, but to have so much to say when you know so little pisses me off.

Sit down, shut up.

Listen to people who actually have something insightful to say.
    test
  7. Superman70

Superman70 edited

I skipped a lot, granted, but I don't know what the argument is here.

There are less black actors than white, yes.

Well blacks ARE a minority, remember?

Yes, there's racism in hollywood. and from fans. and it goes both ways.
    Just like some white people won't go to a Denzel movie, some black people won't go to that Leonardo DiCaprio shit.

I think black people have it pretty good in acting really.
    We're a small percentage, but two of the best actors of our time (Denzel and Will Smith) are making hits every year and geting paid what the top white actors do.
    test
  8. eternal_bliss54

eternal_bliss54 Mi$$ BLi$$

lol thats kinda tru hes da voice in some carntoon like rite now isn't he? dammit whats it called
    test
  9. WWIII

WWIII It has begun...

Samuel Jackson is the shit.
    test
  10. Ixtlan

Based on Will Smith and Denzel Washington?
    What about the Mekhi Phifer's of the world?
    test
  11. |MainStream|

|MainStream| New Member

because hes the fucking man
    test
  12. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

Mekhi Phifer? what the hell...lol...he belongs on tv where he's at.

That guy looks like he's got to think extremely hard about every line he has.

Ixtlan's manipulated stats are bad rebuttal for anyone that admits that racism does exist, however it's just exaggerated by too many failures.

Does racism exist in all aspects of life and professions? Yes. Is it a definite handicap? No.

Dude, 20 years ago white folks were getting turned down left and right for jobs simply because they weren't black.

Today there are so many quotas along with the NAACP that pretty much even the score. I know, you wont admit this but you know it's there. Try being a supervisor for a company and firing a black man because he simply doesn't do his job.
    Know what happens?...he comes back....goes back to doing the same shitty job and he keeps it. Why? because he was just being picked on for being black of course!

See, you know nothing about that because you live in your bias little 'everyone hates us, and we can't get a foot in the door' world.

Simply put:

Less black actors = less black casts = less opportunities = less awards.

Racism is there. It always will be, but to say it's the reason for everything you don't achieve is pure bullshit. Racists hire minorities, racists award minorities. I see it every day.
    test
  13. Ixtlan

He's a member of the "ER" cast.
    That's a critically-acclaimed series. It's not exactly "Real World: Denver".

Don't undersell the guy.
    We can argue his merits as an actor, but he's no bum.

Blah, blah. Until you can substantiate your claims that I've manipulated any part of the information I've presented you're just running scared.

Pipe down.

I want you to stop and think about just how flawed this reads.

Who's writing your material?
    It's dated. And unfounded.

The letter of Affirmative Action law expressly prohibits the usage of quotas.
    AA has always dealt specifically with job-qualified applicants.

Ask the Department of Labor.
    They released a report that held that of 3,000 discrimination suits between the years of 1990-1994 less than 100 of them dealt with "reverse" discrimination...and even then just 6 of them were established as discriminatory against White workers.

You've never once bothered to educate yourself on Affirmative Action.
    Or much anything else for that matter.

AA has been much more beneficial to White women than it has anyone else.
    Why don't I find it odd that you aren't pointing that fact out?

Probably because you're not qualified to say much of anything on this issue.

Except all of that information that you've conveniently avoided...
    *Snickering*

How could I have been so stupid?
    Fewer Black actors explains years of being completely ignored by the Academy. Fewer to the tune of just 5% of all Oscar nominations (not awards, just nominations) have gone to Black actors/actresses.

There just aren't enough of us...

You are every bit as dumb as your commentary suggests.
    test
  14. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Actually Ixt, Ethan did make a good point about racism being surmountable... it's only a handicap when total access depends on the approval of "the man"... if possible, you can create your own access... "Black Wall Street," for instance.

I've been following this argument for quite some time... and I do see what EA is saying, he's just doing a poor job of arguing his point.
    test
  15. Ixtlan

You're such the Good Samaritan.
    You see the man drowning and you throw him a life preserver.

Please, don't help shape his God awful arguments.

I've never once held that African Americans can't overcome even institutional racism. This argument has from the beginning been about validating its existence (at least on my behalf).

You do know what happened to Black Wall Street though, right?
    test
  16. Leila Night

Leila Night efrain,you're my one&only

The New York Times did an article on this a few years ago. Production is almost completely dominated by the race of the executive producer (they are rarely black, or Native, or Latino) and the only director who makes a point of hiring African American staff is Spike Lee. I agree, there would definitely be a significant difference if production staffs were more multi-cultural.
    So true.
    And there are rarely Asians on the screen, unless they're playing doctors or the film is foreign.
    test
  17. Ixtlan

"Dreamgirls" leads the Oscar field with 8 nominations, but ironically is not a "Best Picture" nominee... Hmm...
    test
  18. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

^I didn't think it deserved "Best Picture."

Actually, I think the movie and the performances were overrated. Eddie Murphy was actually the shining star, not Beyonce, not Jennifer Hudson, who was too over-the-top. Murphy's role called for excess and flamboyance, which he nailed perfectly. Jennifer was supposed to be brash and loud as her character was written, but I don't think she provided enough emotional dynamics.
    test
  19. Ixtlan

That's the first criticism I've heard about Hudson's performance.

I saw the film over the weekend and Hudson's performance kept playing over again in my head.

You might not have thought the film deserved a nod in the BP category, but you have to admit that it comes as a big surprise that it wasn't nominated... Especially after leading the Oscar field with 8 total nominations.
    test
  20. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

No. That's the way your mind made it.

Because over and over we've said racism exists. I just say people like you exaggerate it to the fullest, because you need a crutch for failure.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.