Wtf? Why IS Samuel Jackson in "everything"???

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Toucan_Sam1, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MISSKEYdaQUEEN

MISSKEYdaQUEEN Watch the black panther..

LOL...wtf,...Where did you come from.

Anyway...I am irritated with Sam Jackson. And for some reason I was caught up in the hype. And was ALWAYS left dissapointed.

I like Morgan Freeman though. I've always liked his roles. Denzel, he plays good roles also.
    test
  2. Ethan Albright

Ethan Albright New Member

lol @ ixtlan... this guy is such a joke on race issues.
    test
  3. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

So that means he has to take every role thrown his way no matter if the script sucks? Denzel seems to be pretty selective and gets good roles.

Sam is just the black Christopher Walken when it comes to taking roles
    test
  4. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

We'll just invade your country and fuck your world up. Kiss the ring, Bitch. And analogously speaking, don't disrespect rome.

And your from canada not england. Your majority is french.
    So your either a wanna be WANKER? or eruo-trash immigrant from england?

I highly suggest you rent south park the movie.

USA = OWNAGE
    canada = CRY BABIES.

Now if you want to diss a moron from america, Fine.
    But don't take it out on all of us. Got that chief?
    test
  5. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Actually, Sam isn't starving... he makes around 15-20 million a year with the amount of movies he does yearly... I think he can afford to be more selective now.

I disagree about Denzel usually choosing good roles, though... he rarely stretches himself these days and he continues with the overacting... when he does get a good role, it's usually a bad or mediocre movie. He did some of his best acting ever in "Hurricane," but it was a horrible movie. "Malcolm X" was mediocre, as well.

I can't recall the last decent Christopher Walken flick... maybe "Man of Fire," but his role was bit in that.

Don't forget about Jack Nicholson... he's been in quite a few bad movies and acting the same in almost every one.

Morgan Freeman acts the same, but I can tolerate that because his is an understated approach... it's like poetry... it's the overacting in every film by certain actors that I can't tolerate.

I also like the buddy relationship of Freeman and Eastwood... like they had in "Unforgiven" and "Million Dollar Baby." They should do more of those.
    test
  6. Ixtlan

Ixtlan emceeingain'tforyou...

I'm going to have to ask you to climb down from my shaft now.

You, sir, are just oblivious to the realities some of us deal with.
    I have no problem excusing you from the table. Please though, hush when grown folks are talking.

I've smashed you once already. Please don't make me start telling the truth about Hollywood.
    test
  7. Ixtlan

It was a figure of speech Iggy, but you know as well as I do that he isn't getting Russell Crowe role offers. You're giving Hollywood too much credit.

He can't afford to be as selective as Tom Hanks might be.
    Hell, he'd all but stop working in that town if he were...
    He'd have to.

I think despite how prolific he is that he's still playing his hand better than did some of his predecessors. Eddie Murphy started taking every role thrown at him and he did quite a few stink nuggets.

"Snakes On A Plane" is about the only movie that was 'naaaaaah' from jump.

Zel's done the best job he can do under the present circumstances.
    He's taken on an array of different roles.

Films like "Glory" just aren't lying around in Tinsel Town.
    I think his only mistake is not having worked more often with Spike.
    test
  8. Toucan_Sam1

Toucan_Sam1 aka 2can Shakur

whose country was founded on slavery?

Can=8
    U=0

lmao this is too ez.....give me better material, oh wait u cant
    test
  9. Nam Dekan

Nam Dekan i got a tip in my pocket

Eddie didn't do Dr Doolittle 3, maybe he was busy with Daddy Day Care 2. Isn't he doing another Beverly Hills Cop? and I thought I heard about a another Pluto Nash movie. Or maybe they love acting so much they just take whatever..

I wanna see a movie though with

Ben Affleck, Sam Jackson, Eddie Murphy, Danny Trejo, and Christopher Walken
    test
  10. .:Pain:.

.:Pain:. Futurely J. Keeper

Sam is overrated because of Pulp Fiction, which was the role he was born to play.

And you will know, my name is the lord, when I strike down upon thee, or whatever the fuck he said.

He was bananas in that movie....
    test
  11. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Who you think helped with slavery? LOL!

Dumb ass.
    test
  12. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

No, actually I'm not... I understand about the racism in Hollywood... I just meant that Sam should have enough bank now to start being a bit more selective.

When you're just starting out, paying dues, yeah, you gotta eat... but Sam's been in the game... what? 20+ years? I just think he has a hard work ethic and he remembers where he came from... dude was a junkie and a loser before he hit it big in Tinseltown. Guys like that can't slow down because they fear they might hit rock bottom again.

I think you're being too extreme... yeah, Hollywood is racist, but Sam has tremendous rep... most directors love him... Tom is in the 20 million dollar per picture club... like Denzel and Crowe... so doing 1 movie every other year is no biggie for them... I'm not saying that Sam should slow down that much... but just a little to hold out for the meatier roles. He isn't as one dimensional as people like to think. I've seen him stretch out... "The Caveman's Valentine," for instance.

Wanna know who really gets the short end of the stick in Hollywood?

BLACK WOMEN

Guys like Denzel and Freeman can play roles that usually call for white men... they're practically "color-less," in a sense... Halle Berry is about the only black actress that gets to play a colorless role.

Lisa Gay Hamilton gets slept on tremendously... (look up her credentials.) As for the men, I get tired of seeing Denzel and Freeman in every flick. I like that Derek Luke is catching some shine. I have yet to see "Catch a Fire." Is it good? Isaiah Washington is another talented black actor who needs to get put on more. And that dude who played in "8 Mile" and "Crossover" is pretty good. Anthony Anderson is blossoming. Terrence Howard is on the cusp. But the sisters are MIA.
    test
  13. Ixtlan

He's set for life to be sure, but again how can he afford to be as selective as (say) a Tom Hanks when Hollywood isn't throwing once-in-a-lifetime roles around?

If he's going to be stuck playing middle of the road roles in average scripts anyway why not take every dollar thrown his way?

Excellent point.

Again, despite a commanding schedule he's still avoided the stink nugget.
    And that's something a lot of prolific actos can't say.

Eddie Murphy has spoken on the unforgiving nature of Hollywood time and again. Black actors are seldom given a break for taking bad roles.
    Unlike some of their fairer-skinned counterparts (ie, Christian Slater).
    Jada's almost never recovered from "Woo". She might've had one quality script thrown her way since that film. And likely only because of who her husband is.

I was always a big Jada Pinkett fan.
    That girl had it. She really did. She just didn't make the right choices.
    And she's paid for it...

I'd disagree with you though on who gets the shorter end of the stick.
    Several Black actresses work consistently in Hollywood.
    Sanaa Lathan, Gabrielle Union, Nia Long, Kerry Washington, Regina Hall...
    I honestly think they get more steady work. And better roles on average.

She does more TV than big screen stuff, right Iggy?
    Isn't she Ice T's ex-wife on "Law & Order"?
    She's good.

The only films I've seen him in are "Glory Road" and "Biker Boyz".
    I've got "Antwone Fisher" at the crib, but I've never bothered to watch it. I have some catching up to do.

I think I might check that and "16 Blocks" out tonight.

Anthony Mackie?
    That kid's been in everything here lately.
    He did 5 flicks in 2006.

I liked him in "She Hate Me". Hated him trying to be 'hood' in "8 Mile".

After seeing him in "Hustle & Flow" I'm starting to think his real promise lies in more serious roles. I hope he realizes that in the future and stretches himself.

I had such high hopes for that guy.
    I've been a fan since his role in "Sunset Park", but lately it seems as though he plays the same character in every film.

I want to see more from him.
    test
  14. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Jada???.... I'll agree, she's never really been given the chance to really stretch out, but I haven't been too impressed with most of her work... I think she presents the same, sassy personality in every role... Queen Latifah actually stole "Set It Off."

I was talking bigger "mainstream" movies... those actresses star in the mid to low-budget movies that target the black community specifically... they're not really on Halle's level... or peers with Denzel, Freeman, Cheadle, or even Foxx, who has graduated from that level of the "Booty Call" movies. Sanaa is close, but she's still just known to the "community." What other black actress is as big as Halle?

Yeah, she's gotta eat... but she played Isaiah Washington's wife in that movie where he was falsely accussed of murder... I can't remember the name of it.

He's a diamond in the rough... he's not there yet, but I definitely see potential. I need to see "Catch a Fire," though, to really see how he's evolved. I didn't like "Glory Road" nor "Biker Boyz"... Meagan Good was nice eye candy, though.

I didn't like that, either... Mos' voice was just too annoying.

Yeah, that's him... I like dude, though.

I mean, I could tell he's really not hood... but he's a good actor. It's almost like watching Blair Underwood try to be gangsta.

Yeah, I know... he's a better actor than he is a comedian. Tom Hanks used to be a comedian, too... go figure.

I like the way he talks... he sounds like one of my uncles down south... him and Sam Jackson sound like my uncles.

He's a good crier... speaking of criers, whatever happened to Cuba Gooding Jr.? That dude crys in every movie I've seen him in.
    test
  15. Ethan Albright

Keep fighting the invisible man ixtlan. Keep fighting.

The struggle is real. The struggle is you.

Why must they hold you down? Why? Why must you live in 1960 for the rest of your life?.....the pain....

*black fist*
    test
  16. Ixtlan

The fiesty Jada's definitely been overdone, but in watching "A Different World" (religiously) I see acting chops she really hasn't shown me since.

Even when considering the sub-genre they might be working under they aren't exactly doing "straight to DVD" films. Most of the actresses I named are doing big budget flicks (and they aren't all films geared toward Blacks). They work consistently and are commanding a pretty penny. No, not Nicole Kidman 15 milly coin, but good money.

None of the aforementioned names.
    Angela Bassett is certainly lurking in those waters though (if we're talking talent). I think Kerry Washington and Sanaa Lathan could step into that arena as well with the right roles...

GR was better than BB, but that isn't saying much.
    Josh Lucas is good... Reminds me of Matthew McConaughey, but talented nonetheless.

I've heard bad reviews all over the place.
    Hopefully it's just an acquired taste.
    I'm gonna watch the film tonight. I'll report back tomorrow...

Me too... Kid's got talent.

Or Wesley Snipes in "Disappearing Acts"...
    What was your opinion of that film anyway?

Hanks was funny...

He needs to stop taking bad roles and stick to the good stuff like "Radio".
    test
  17. Ixtlan

That's more than I can say for our exchange.
    This certainly can't be called "fighting".
    You're intellectually punchless.

Here's your next homework assignment.
    How's about a little Academy Awards research?
    Four, count them four, actors/actresses have won Best Actor/Actress honors since the Academy's inception. Fewer than 20 Blacks have even been nominated for Best honors...in nearly 80 years of the Academy's existence. That's not even 10% of the number of nominations given to their fairer-skinned counterparts.

I'm sure you'll call that coincedence though...
    No discrepancy there, huh?

Straight to your domepiece...
    Perhaps that'll knock some sense into you.
    test
  18. Ethan Albright

How'd I know you'd bring up the academy awards? You're not a puppet at all, are you pinnochio?
    Yeah, perhaps we should figure out how many hispanic actors have won academy awards? How about asians?

Nah...because then we might actually use common sense and reach a conclusion that - if a certain profession is dominated by a certain race, then minorities will naturally win less awards if awards are given. Maybe?...

Or...Maybe...just maybe black actors should stop kicking themselves in the ass by making and participating in "hey look, we're stupid" films like Soul Plane, Little Man, white chicks, Firday, Next Friday, Friday after Next, Good Friday, Friday the 14th, and TGI-Fridays, yadda yadda yadda....

Then again, how many black people would've watched broke back mountain if it stared Don Cheadle and Anthony Anderson? How many black people want to see Vanilla Sky with a black cast?.... see, that's the problem. Give good roles to black folks, and then see how many black people will be found in the audience..... The black youth wants to watch black people make fun of themselves. So that's what sells...thats what black actors buy in to.
    I know...it's because they're never offered any good roles.

On this note, I'm going to go make an NBA is full of racists thread, because how many white guys on average make it to the all-star game?.... It's bullshit!

See...I can use logic...sports are dominated by black athletes, therefore more black athletes will naturally be more successful than white athletes. Therefore more black athletes will win awards...... GASP! Logic!

That's what happens when you stop thinking everyone's gunning for you and you use common sense.

Try it.

And stop being so violent young black man. If I were a cop, you'd get shot 39 times for such actions.
    test
  19. Ixtlan

I'll take a stab in the dark and say it's because we were talking about motion pictures, but what do I know?

Keen observation though Captain Obvious.

Why would you do that? That would only further solidify my point...

Even when considering Hollywood's constituents it still doesn't explain such discrepancies. You're reaching...

You're right...
    They should start making films like "Jackass 2".
    Yeah, yeah...Then they'll deserve quality roles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Steve Nash the NBA's Most Valuable Player two years running? Oops...said too much.

*Cough* Steve Nash *Cough*

I'm as non-violent as they come.
    I fight with that thing in between my ears.
    test
  20. Ethan Albright

That thing between your ears... Most people prefer cast-iron when selecting shields, but I suppose you've got the equivalent. Impossible to penetrate that thing.

Steve Nash is the 2 time mvp. One white player 2 seasons. You're a sports fan, so do I really need to dig up all-star rosters and previous mvps?

Don Cheadle gets his fair share of good roles too homeboy. So there's your one black guy to fight the steve nash rebuttal.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.