writing biblical stories for children did christianity no favours ...

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Nu'maaN, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

... on the contrary.

alot of these stand up comedians just use the children's versions of the stories from the bible to diss it.

i'm supposed to be a muslim, and yet i have read the bible front to back, they should too before they diss.

but then i don't understand why people waste time to read something just to hang shit off it.

:numaan:
    • Hot Thread Hot Thread x 1
    test
  2. Coup d'état

Coup d'état Don't believe the hype

lol i hear ya on this

I picked up a used paper back child's book of bible stories at a market...it has the story from Gen to revelations but with the authors understanding or should I say the publishers agenda...which is new aged and very incorrect. To say the least, it left out basically everything important in the bible...

I read it to my niece who is 6 and as I go I fill in my own words and correct the story or explain more detail...

mainstream Christianity is not scriptural anyhow....it is all paganism filtered through the letters of Paul alone....unfortunate. It's churchianity today.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

exactly, i don't even read the interpretative commentaries by islamic scholars on the qur'an.

i think the scriptures are meant for each individual to read and gather their own understanding of it.

why even have books like this for children, let them grow wise and then decide to read if they want to.

test
  4. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

In a war of ideas, it's important to know your enemy.

That's why I read the bible. Shit book. But then all of the Abrahamic religions are shit. Same asshole tribal desert god.

Also, Nu don't act like the stories aren't just as ridiculous as comedians make them out to be. I listened to Daniel Tosh's standup the other day (I listen to Pandora at work) and the crowd was groaning at the way he described the story of Jesus and the resurrection. His exact response was "You can grown all you want but that's exactly how the story goes.".

An excuse as convenient as "it was just interpreted wrong" is exactly that, and excuse.
    test
  5. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

why are they your enemy though?

what did they do to you?

test
  6. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

In The United States? What haven't they done? Legislation that undermines the rights of citizens, medical and social progress for the sake of old superstitions.

There are many places around here where you can't get alcohol on a Sunday, for no other reason than religion. Cocksuckin pharmacists refuse the morning after pill to people coming to the pharmacy in need of it.

The list goes on. Religion is toxic to society.
    test
  7. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

fair enough.

but i still don't see how this directly affects you though.

anyway, it's not news to me you think religion is toxic to society's progress, so.

test
  8. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

haha he said "grown"
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  9. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

lol fuuuuuck. I remember catching that, but I must've deleted it and written it wrong TWICE. Ugh
    test
  10. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

children versions of biblical stories shielded me from how intense the bible actually was until i was about 14 and took a bible study class in high school. i went through my childhood not reading the bible but basically assuming that it was probably full of stories of good deeds and sage wisdom. i probably would've picked it up sooner if i knew how much violence and mayhem there was in it.

it's specific religious sects and religious people that actually advance these things you cite. some religious people don't agree with them. the more i think about it the more i become convinced that lumping them all together as 'religion' is creating enemies where they don't actually exist.
    test
  11. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

this.

test
  12. Esoteriq

Esoteriq Worst Behavior

I understand what you're saying and indeed I know plenty of people who are religious but don't go along with the things I mentioned. They are, however, still a problem. The people you speak of are "religious moderates". The ones that just choose to ignore the more cooky shit, but believe the basic cooky shit just the same...they are still a problem because they legitimize the extremists. They create a climate of religion where the crazies can prosper...giving them asylum basically.

Also let's not forget to face the truth, the crazies of the religion are the ones who are right about it. 9 times out of 10, according to their "holy book" the zealots of a religion are the ones who are right about it and what they should be doing as a member.

Not lumping all religious as the direct enemy, some are merely accomplices.
    test
  13. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Translation: God doesn't exist and I hate him.
    test
  14. reggie jax

i think i can understand pretty well where you're coming from since this sounds like something i would've said myself not too long ago. here's a few reasons why i don't think it's very convincing anymore:

1) it's an assumption that they need a general climate of religion in order for their own particular fanatical brand to succeed. typically fanatics don't actually care all that much about getting along with the mainstream. actually i think they seem to derive a sense of legitimacy from clashing with society in many ways. what do you call a fanatical brand of religion in America that exists outside the 'climate of religion' (i.e. their beliefs are in no way vindicated by the Christian society in which they live)? you call them cultists, scientologists, etc. this disconnect really doesn't seem to dampen their fanaticism, in fact if anything i'd say it makes them even more resolute.

2) inherent in this argument seems to be the idea that the religion drives the fanaticism. again this is more conjecture. i know people who are just as cooky that simply don't frame their irrationality in a religious context. maybe religious fanatics would just be other kinds of fanatics without the religion. it's at least worth considering that maybe they are just batshit in general and wouldn't suddenly transform into rational human beings if religion were to disappear.

3) this one is really the one that matters most to me. regardless of what the cause of the fanaticism is, is it really ever a legitimate criticism to say to someone "hey, you know that thing you believe? well this guy over here believes a much more extreme version of it. that makes you bad by proxy since you agree with him on a few things." this is akin to expecting liberals to drop their political beliefs because they have some things in common with communists.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  15. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA GymArt

Remember having to read the bible as a part of the obligatory must read literature list back in high school. Oddly, Qur'an was missing (as were other pieces of literature tied to other religions) off that list. Either give people all these to read or none at all.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  16. reggie jax

the bible is more important to western civilization than any other holy book or arguably any other book at all

not that i would object to students learning the quran as well, as that is also an important book even from a western perspective. just that i think the reason these books are important to know is not because they claim to hold some divine wisdom but rather because of their historical, cultural, and literary value. and so it doesn't quite follow that all religious texts are deserving of equal attention, especially in the context of a particular culture that clearly has traditionally favored one over the others.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
    test