Writers interview

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by allnakey, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allnakey

allnakey Sex is no fun by yourself

If you got some time try and answer some of these questions. Try to aviod one sentence answers and fully explain, with out Writing full out paragraphs

What made you want to start writing poetry?

What are some of the outside influences that help you to think and write poetry every day...?

How do you feel about def poetry on HBO... is it to commercial or just a great way to give exposure to some fresh new poets...?

What are some of the most influencial pieces you have read on her and what about them, that makes them so influecial to you...

How did you discovery the poetry realm and what made you want to share some of your writings with the members of this fine Message board...?

Who do you feel on this board has helped you further your writing abilities...?

Why do you keep coming back to the realm...?

What are some of your feelings on todays poetry and todays poetry... are they good, are they bad....?

What modern day poet reminds you of yourself?

What subjects are easiest for you to write about? What are the hardest?

What are some songs that really help to get you in the writing mood, or what type of music gets you in that writers mood... if you listen to music at all when you write?

What are your thoughts on hip hop and hip hop music, is it poetry... or is it a lack of poetic dialog ("ignorant poetry")?
    test
  2. Clarksvegas_Dan

Clarksvegas_Dan Registered Voter

1. Other poets I suppose. I felt like I couldn’t express myself very well through essays or short stories, but from the examples of other poets I decided that poetry was the best way for me to say what I wanted to say.

2. Song lyrics of course. Other poets too. But most importantly I had a few friends who encouraged me to write, even though my writing wasn’t great. It helped me release a lot of pent up emotions, and since then my writing has gotten a little better.

3. I don’t get HBO. I’ve never seen it, but I would probably like it.

4. It’s hard to name names or specify pieces, but I’ll give it a shot. Anything by Brit Boi Gee makes me smile. I like In The Stars, and Nu Afrika, and a host of others but really it’s not anyone in particular on the sight that makes this site influential. It’s just being exposed regularly to other aspiring poets work. I get ideas and tools to use later from everything I read.

5. I was introduced to this board by a friend. I decided to post because I have never shared my poetry with anyone except for one creative writing course. I think my writing is improving some as a result. Thanks.

6. Everyone. Whether they are replying to mine or just presenting their own stuff, I’m inspired and challenged daily.

7. Because it’s fun. And it’s always here. That’s really the only reason.

8. I think they are good. But what would I know. I just know I enjoy reading the poetry. It doesn’t matter to me if other people think it’s bad, it moves me.

9. I can Identify with a lot of modern poets, but I can’t really say they remind me of me. They might remind me of what I aspire to be, but I’m me not them.

10. Introspection, Society, Spirituality, and similar things are easy. Love, and Relationships are hard for me to write about.

11. A lot of music inspires me, but the best music to listen to while writing is Hemi-sync’s MetaMusic. It’s scientifically developed music that uses specific sound frequencies to balance electrical activity in the brain, synchronizing the two hemispheres. It’s awesome, but maybe not for everyone.

12. I like a lot of it, but overall It’s just very very angry. I can appreciate the artistry in most of it, but I can’t subject myself to much of it because it puts me in the wrong mood.
    test
  3. lpoet

lpoet POET

...reading books made me want to write..

What are some of the outside influences that help you to think and write poetry every day...?

...conversations and televison

How do you feel about def poetry on HBO... is it to commercial or just a great way to give exposure to some fresh new poets...?

i love it..absolutly love it

What are some of the most influencial pieces you have read on her and what about them, that makes them so influecial to you...

ima think bout that..

How did you discovery the poetry realm and what made you want to share some of your writings with the members of this fine Message board...?

i posted on several other sites before finally calling rm home...its the most active poetry forum i've found.

the different types of poets...different styles and approaches..

beacuse ima mod..lol

What are some of your feelings on todays poetry and todays poetry... are they good, are they bad....?

i'm not one of those people to bitch and complain bout poetry..i love it..good bad simple complicated...poetry is beautiful

..dont know any

pain/hate/fear/....are easy for me...and its hard for me to write about real life things

What are some songs that really help to get you in the writing mood, or what type of music gets you in that writers mood... if you listen to music at all when you write?

i never write to music..ever

What are your thoughts on hip hop and hip hop music, is it poetry... or is it a lack of poetic dialog

hip hop is poetry
    test
  4. quotive

quotive 3

- I write raps, but I got tired of it, so I tried poetry, it worked.

- My bestfriend Whitney. And just looking at life, and going throughh situations. Dreaming. Music influences me too..

- Some of them cats is DOPE. Some are bs.. I don't like poetry if it isn't serious. Some of them have A LOT of emotion.

- Hmm.. tough one. I can't name a specific piece, but I can name a few poets and tell you how they influenced me. Chyll Tyrant inspires me, his style of writing. I love abstract writing, it makes me think. Xero inspires me when he posts, his style of writing is brilliant. And his paragraph structure inspires me also.

- Simply typed in "rapmusic.com" lol

- Chyll Tyrant.. and Xero

- Because it feels like a home lol.. I love sharing my poetry and reading peoples thoughts and ideas, its great.

- Good. Fuck ANYBODY who says your emotions and feelings aernt "good".. thats just disrespectful.

- hmm none..

- Easiest is love and depression. Hardest is writing about something I've never been through, like death.

- Most of Nas' songs. Fabolous gets me in the mood.. Dashboard Confessional, sometimes Norah Jones, Linkin Park, Blink 182.. etc

What are your thoughts on hip hop and hip hop music, is it poetry... or is it a lack of poetic dialog ("ignorant poetry")?
    - Man .. hip hop is dying. I LOVE hip hop, but this "get crunk" era is sad... Hip Hop used to be beautiful, I like Nas and Immortal Technique because theyre poetic. They speak on subjects people can relate to, and learn from. If you want to dance to "crunk" songs, fine... but thats not hip hop. Hip hop is poetic in a sense, writing is tough.. but I could see why someone could argue hip hop isn't poetic
    test
  5. sagacious infant

sagacious infant reflecting the sun

The first poem I remember writing..I wrote it in the 7th grade. We had to write for an assignment, but after I wrote the first one I just kept going and going and going. I didn't talk much in my younger days - sometimes to the point of me writing on a piece of paper instead of talking to people...so when we had this assignment I figured I had a lot to say...
    Why poetry? I liked the art factor - the painting of pictures through words and when you read them aloud - through sounds...

Things I encounter are my inspiration - mostly people...whether it be groups or individuals...I don't write as much as I used to - but I still put words together in my head - committing them to paper hasn't been a priority of mine lately.

I can't watch it. I don't like it. I'm not in that realm of poetry where I need to perfect a piece for spoken word joints to get some snaps. I don't dig all that. Not to say that the folks aren't excellent writers - but yeah...that's about the money.

What are some of the most influencial pieces you have read on here and what about them, that makes them so influecial to you...
    I remember a while back I used to print out folks' poems and put them on my wall. I remember one called The Neverending Kiss - it was magical to me. You could tell the author was so enchanted by this kiss ...the way he described it and how much value he held to the person who gave him the kiss. That poem was influential to me ..shoot cuz I showed it to all my friends too! There was another poem about hair - I can't remember the name of it exactly - but I LOVE that poem...I think it was called "If Black is Bad"....this one line "If Black is bad then let me be the baddest thing in the place!" That poem was fire - and it was influential to me because at the time I had decided to ditch my perm and let my hair be natural....I got a lot of negative feedback from folks around me - and that poem let me know that I wasn't weird or alone in a conscious decision. I haven't been around the realm enough lately to say that a more recent poem has been influential.

Wow...this was a while ago so um...I posted at Blunt's...where someone mentioned SOHH...where someone mentioned RM - I really came because of the mention of the Alley (ha!) but then I saw the realm and posted like...a billion poems in one day and half of them didn't make sense. I just loved that I could brain fart and then have people respond. I've since calmed down though.

He hasn't posted here for years - but without a doubt...Father Time. Why? Lots of personal reasons...lots of not so personal reasons...

Cuz I still have brain farts...and then most times I'm looking for someone to blow my mind with something they've written...instant gratification? so human am I

What are some of your feelings on todays poetry and todays poets... are they good, are they bad....?
    I edited that, I don't know if that's what you meant to ask. In my opinion and understanding of poetry - the first step to becoming a good writer is to be in touch with your own emotions. If you can express those well enough on paper - then it's up to you to decide if you care about form and grammar and all that... I think a lot of today's writers have a lot of emotions they need to get out and poetry is an outlet for them. Sometimes it's fun to mix it up though...throw a monkey wrench in the expected... I think poets today should experiment and be brave ...tap into their creativity...

Easiest: Violation
    Hardest: Happiness

It used to be Common, Erykah, and Jill...nowadays music doesn't give me the writing bug.

Hip Hop is a culture, and I definitely think that poetry is a part of the culture. As far as the music itself...I don't think that it's limited to poetry. Sure there's poetry in there, but I think these days - at least commercially - it's more about day to day commentary...hip hop becomes the news or the playboy channel...
    Poetry is definitely in hip hop though...listen to the flows...it's all in the flows...Pharoahe Monch...Twista... it's the metaphors from Talib and Common...

I like that last question
    test
  6. Thrilla-Ali

Thrilla-Ali Dapper Don

[funny]...
    test
  7. fLaSh

fLaSh New Member

Women, A good way to suduce'em....haha...

I guess, the news, whats going on around my block an other hoods..what happening to people around the world....

I think its great... to show poets on hbo... i been watching since it started... sad cause half of them is better then the rapper's today...

I have'nt read one yet... maybe in the future

Well, I was doing rap, hip-hop, on the open mic. So i thought let me see whats over there.
    Cause I write music, and other stuff thats not fit for thats side of the page...So here i'am.
    wrote my first poem...

Alot, i could flow very well, i learn how to write more effectivly, punchlines, being funny or witty, deep to show my emotional side.. before i was never like that... plus it helps if their's compertion....haha

Well, just to see what people think of my thoughts and how i write and explain what im going thur. and i like to read on whats going on with other poeple too...

Are u kidding me is that a trick question ?? if u mean poets, i think they become more angery... people are never happy.. so that leave room to express... it'll never change..

Can't say cause im special.....lol... I have to get back to u on that one...

I don't happen that way... i listen to a beat ... or I just vent what i feel...
    No subject matter is involed.... comes natural..

Just a good beat or listen church music.... donny, or out of eden...

I could not judge people for how they write or what they say...
    I just think that hip-hop, rap is losing it fire... cause to much of the same thing...
    Everyone playing follow the trend... i think it was better when their was a msg.
    A meaning to expressing yoyr self... thats what made hip-hop....
    Can't blame the rappers, but the man behind them...crop. america....
    test
  8. RealMS

RealMS Ne te quaesiveris extra

Reading I guess you could say, but reading poetry and studying it mostly. The Harlem Renaissance poets seem to be my favorites (Dunbar, Cullen, Reggie Young...etc.).

Everyday life. I like to observe things, the simple things that make life, and etc. It could also be something a person said I thought was magnificent and began my own thoughts of it and linger on to other things.

A friend of mine I used to write with told me about the site and how its always active. What made me want to share some of my writings? Why not? Well, its simple-for others to read it. No particular reason, guess you could say its kinda like giving out and receiving at the same time.

There is always something new and interesting. And besides, reading other's work takes my mind off of things.

Alright, I'm kinda tired of hearin ppl. talk bad about poetry. Get to know and actually understand what poetry is before you talk. Today's poetry is great. It's bringing about change-and that is a good thing. If everything stayed the same, poetry would be boring to read, and nothing stays the same in life when you think of it. I could go further into this, but those who agree, even disagree feel where I'm heading.

struggles (growin up and possibly anything you can think of relative to that), having self-respect for self, rights, my own being (all relative I guess);hardest-Love.

I'm a diversed person. If I'm feelin angry about something and I wanna vent, I'll listen to something like If I Ruled the World (Nas n Lauryn Hill), or one of their albums, something like that
    If feeling sad I sometimes listen to inspirational songs, sometimes gospel (Yolanda Adams "Open Up My Heart") I could listen to just about anything, except opera or country. Sometimes I'll listen to instrumentals. I never listen to music when writng tho, I might lose my concentration.

t are your thoughts on hip hop and hip hop music, is it poetry... or is it a lack of poetic dialog ("ignorant poetry")?
    Where I'm from, peers or classmates, whateva-don't really know what hip hop is-in my opinion. Some may say its dying, some may say its not. It depends, or it could just be what I like to listen to. Lil Jon, etc. I don't listen to on a regular basis because there is no concrete meaning, nothing deep about it. It's good for the club, but I guess every style has its place, and thats cool. Hip Hop-Biggie Smalls, Pac, Eazy E, Nate Dogg and Warren G, Kool Moe Dee, Wu Tang, and so forth,those artists I will always listen to. The underground artists that don't get much attention, but thats alright b/c the dedicated fans are listening. Hip Hop is always poetry in my book, just know what hip hop is.
    -Peace n Love
    test
  9. Novaman: RaWKiLLa

Novaman: RaWKiLLa New Member

Well I was kind of interesting in writing because I always wanted to write music. But it was really when I was in the 11th grade, we had to write a poem as an assignment. I just went home took me like 10minutes to write it, turned it in to my teacher, and he called me back to his desk. He asked me did I really write the poem. I said "yes." and he asked me how long did it take and I told him. He entered it into a nationwide contest and I got my poem published out there somewhere. That was my start.

What are some of the outside influences that help you to think and write poetry every day
    I would say the one thing is spirituallity, world events, my friends, people I meet, music, etc. Anything that I feel is worth sharing I'll write it. Mostly my state of spirituallity.

I think its great! Helps me see more of the world of today's poets. Cause I don't go to cafe's and local poetry readings. I'm more of a recluse when it comes to my poetry.

What are some of the most influencial pieces you have read on here and what about them, that makes them so influecial to you...
    I can't think of a specific peice but I know that I like Judge D, Black Soultan, Sizzla, and Azues aka Azazel back in the day. Wicked, Mind$soul, and McGirth (when he use to write) inspired to do better and be different.

I discovered rapmusic.com back in '99-'00 because me and my homeboys use to rap on different message boards, start stuff, collab, and etc. And then we came to RM.com for awhile and did somethings. One day probably in 2001, I realized that ya'll had a poetry section and just decided to write and share.

Probably, Guy with a Pen, cause when I saw some of his stuff I was like, "damn! I need to up my game."

I like to see how people have grown, to see what the old poets are up to, how they have grown, and to see the new folks. Also to see if folks still remember me.

I don't know. I like what I like in any art form.

None.

Subjects that are easiest for me to write are those dealing with my relationship with God because its real and sincere, whether its good or bad. The hardest...I don't think there's any.

Probably some old school rock, soul, jazz, and hip-hop. I like Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway. Also gospel music.

I think hip hop is another art form that can be both beneficial and destructive just like any other art form or culture. It's not perfect but it has helped a lot of youth and people. I think there are some hip hop artist that more poetic than their contemporaries. But its art.
    test
  10. nathedawg

nathedawg New Member

What made you want to start writing poetry?What made me start writing poetry.... hmmmm.. well I would have to say the number one reason I chose to start writing is simply because it feels so damn good.... once you have the finished product in front of you and youve really put your all in to it, its really cool to see what Ive done with words. Images and feelings are exposed in poetry, and I felt like I could take a stab at writing poetry... Also, I like venting, whether its smoking the reefer or playing basketball, doing something I like...

What are some of the outside influences that help you to think and write poetry every day...? I think the most influential thing when it comes to my writing would have to be Marijuana... Yeah I know what youre thinking hes a stoner!! When no really it does open you up... Everytime I get high my thoughts are intensified to the point I feel like expressing myself... and one of them is poetry

How do you feel about def poetry on HBO... is it to commercial or just a great way to give exposure to some fresh new poets...? Yo, that shit is straight fire son... I think it was the first episode that Talib Kweli and Mos Def where on there. Man did they kill the mic... poetry spoken is cool with me.

What are some of the most influencial pieces you have read on her and what about them, that makes them so influecial to you... I think some of the most influential pieces Ive read on here thus far are as follows: InTheStars, most of her work I could relate to due to the simple fact we know each other. She has a kind of magical way of expressing herself... however corny that sounded, but I really mean it... some others are Brit Boi, Xero, ManMadeofAshes(although he doesnt write much anymore)... alot of peeps have influenced me to keep writing.

How did you discovery the poetry realm and what made you want to share some of your writings with the members of this fine Message board...? no shit there i was, sitting in front of a computer and I simply typed in a search for rapmusic... low and behold rapmusic.com came across the screen! THen from there I just checked the whole site out

Who do you feel on this board has helped you further your writing abilities...?ManMadeofAshes, Xero, Quotive(young dude with alot to say!) just to name a few

Why do you keep coming back to the realm...?hmm... I think its more of an addiction than anything!! My mom told me once crack kills.... so ill stick to writing!! just fucking around lol

What are some of your feelings on todays poetry and todays poetry... are they good, are they bad.. good Ill just leave it at that... any kind of poetry is good in my opinion... as long as its from your heart

What modern day poet reminds you of yourself?The lead singer of Dashboard Confessional, and yes I would have to say eventhough the guy is a singer, he is more of a poet than anything

depression of course is one of the easiest things for me to write about... If youve read my pieces from the past you'd understand. Although I think anything comes out from me if I think about it enough when it comes to writing.

Donell Jones, Dashboard Confessional, 311....... all these guys seize to amaze me with their material

What are your thoughts on hip hop and hip hop music, is it poetry... or is it a lack of poetic dialog ("ignorant poetry")?Hip hop...hmmm.. well what can I say it rocks. No matter how commericialized it gets it will stay number one for me when it comes to music. Is it poetry... yes indeed
    test
  11. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

Most likely from reading. I always wanted to tell things the way I saw them so I would just write them out. The first poem I wrote,was about a pet fish I had that died when I was like 8 years old.

What are some of the outside influences that help you to think and write poetry every day...?Everyday life, everyday people, my daughter, weed, alcohol, and music.

How do you feel about def poetry on HBO... is it to commercial or just a great way to give exposure to some fresh new poets...?Like somebody above me there arent much spoken word cafes around my area. The ones they do have are too far or nobody goes to them, I love it . I dont think it's too commercial, hell it aint like they gettin paid millions to do it.... It's funny when people say it's commerical, but they've sat and watched Def Comdey Jam and Comic View with no problem at all. Suckas

What are some of the most influencial pieces you have read on here and what about them, that makes them so influecial to you...Think the most influential piece i've read on here was a poem called, "Three Words" by Kpucha. It was a poem about her finding out her mother had cancer. My mother had aids, and until I read that piece I never wrote anything about my mother. It helped get alot of shit off my chest once I started. Anything uplifting is very influential to me.

How did you discovery the poetry realm and what made you want to share some of your writings with the members of this fine Message board...? I came to this site in 99, I was gettin ready to turn 15. I always use to post in the open mic fourm though. But everybody was tellin me my writings were more poetic than rap. So i brought my ass here.

Who do you feel on this board has helped you further your writing abilities...?lpoet, nebulaz, soultan, sizzla, h.wood, po tec, da smoothest talka, guy with a pen, speedy..alot of people here. Just love their styles.

Love seein the place and the people grow.

What are some of your feelings on todays poetry and todays poets... are they good, are they bad....?Only thing I dont like is the people who try to tell you what poetry is. What you should be writing. What isnt poetry. What you shouldnt be writing. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah them workshop mothafuckas are crazy.

Anthony Hamilton is not a poet. It's the way he puts so much emotion into his music...that's what reminds me of myself when it comes to me writing poetry. I write as if somebody owes me something. Life

My easiest subjects are sometimes the hardest subjects to write about. If that made any sense. Love, Religion, Depression, Hate, Fear, Pain, and my future.

What are some songs that really help to get you in the writing mood, or what type of music gets you in that writers mood... if you listen to music at all when you write? I dont think I can write without music. I always have to some music playing when i'm writing. Any Anthony Hamilton song, "Rock Bottom" by Eminem, "Love" by Music, "G.O.D" by common and cee-lo, "Drunk by myself" by Nas. Just to name a few.

What are your thoughts on hip hop and hip hop music, is it poetry... or is it a lack of poetic dialog ("ignorant poetry")? Poetry is definitely in Hip Hop. My only beef is that the emcees are not fully taking advantage of it. When you know you got little kids skippin to school singin your hook off your new single talking about "knuck if you buck", "because i'ma mothafucka p.i.m.p" then you have a problem. I just think rappers need to come out with a little more positive stuff for the kids coming up to feed on. But they gotta make money.
    test
  12. misspimp

misspimp a.k.a KATURAH

nothing actually made me start writing poetry...it just came naturally...i was jus sitting down one day and started writing a poem...about drinking and driving...after that i was hooked!

mostly things that happen in my life, or if i read someone elses writing, but mostly its a habbit

i think its a great way to give exposure ti new poets, it also puts alot of different kind of poetry in prospective, its educational to some people who are close minded or dont know alot about poetry

alot of Xero pieces are the most influencial to me and mind/soul...mostly because i can relate to their writing style and sometimes the way they feel. alot of the poets that post here put alot of feeling into what they write so its all influences me.

a few of my friends use to post their freestyles in some of the other boards and one day i was just skimmin thru the site and saw poetry realm...and from then on ive been hooked!

its really so many people that come across this board that in some way or another everyone helps...i think the two people that have helped me the most are xero and mind/soul...they always give me tips on wryters bloc, style, words, etc...

i really feel like the realm is the one true place where i can vent, and know tha there are a ton of other people who feel the same way about ceartin things as i do. The realm is a great place to learn, share, and connect with new people that have alot of the same qualities and values as me...

Love, Pain, Lonliness, relationships, those are all the easiest subjects for me to write about. the only thing i find hard about writing is when im really stressed out that too many words, subjects, people want to come out at one time...as far as subjects go...i dont know

loves it
    test
  13. Sun_Flower

Sun_Flower Bluez By Loves Eye

I always wrote a daily journal of my situations, my actions towards challenges, and about my life from around 13, 14 of age, nothing like poetry. I guess when I was in english class in grade ten. The very first day of class, we had five minutes to come up with a five sentence poem of how we view one classmate by just appearance. I was new at the school and I was like what. It was like an introduction in getting to know each other to break the ice on everyone. It was hard, but I gave it a try. At frist I didn't really take interest in it and flow up with it. It really started when I couldn't sleep at night, I would sit up for nights on in and write whatever came to mind.

Outside influences would be nature at its best, late nights looking at the sky, early mornings I would go for a walk through my mind by memory, Just to quit stressing on whats around me and affecting me. Another through the amount of television I watched, stories of homeless, abuse in many forms, starving mothers with no money and strength to give life a chance, when on vacations, etc... and I would place it on my plate of struggle and write about it. When I frist started posting poems I would write in fiction like stories about love. Not to mention movies also gets my thoughts going....

Def Poetry I feel gives a highliner of the variety of nations and wide range that poetry can really evolve so yes to exposure to fresh new poets.

Well alot from the old cats (SheerXtacy, Ipoet, Mind $oul, Poetical Techniquez, Kpucha, Blackangel, D i a m o n d, the Guy with the pen, Dark Angel, Azeussueza ) Just to name a few. But the earlier post in 2002. They attracted me to this site with their own creativity, and style of writting. Kinda inspire me to keep on writting what I really felt and express it with flava which they all had. Also I could relate to the piece in some form.

Back In 2001/2 my cyber Sis SheerXtacy told me about the site and said I should give it a try and post one of my piece. Eventually I fell inlove with the site. Just the fact that I was getting critiqued and I felt at home reading others and giving feed back.

Me and SheerXtacy always would post a piece and reply to each until it became a habit. Kpucha also always encourage me to keep writting, back than as Freakalic. Plus all the replies I had push me to do better and improve my style of writting.

Its a site where I can relate to most ppl and understand that I'm not alone with the many situations I've been through, plus it gives me a brighter light in understanding how other view things and overcome their circumstances.

Todays poetry is very good, depending on who/what your interested in. I dislike certain poetry that has a constant swear through-out with no meaning or beginnning to the piece. Personally it has to have a story line to it, or some mystic sense to it, mind teaser's are a favourite because it can go in so many ways, and your thoughts on things just expands.

I would say Jill Scott for her love of freedom in expressing self with out pondering on whats right or wrong, and the spiritual aspect to living in todays lifestyle. Maya Angelou from her earlier days as a young lady growing up exploring the world, and Geoffery B. for being my brother that caused me to fully write and explore myself in love.

Moods on how I feel, struggles in relationships, things in my life that took over my being, ideas that comes to mind when unable to sleep, and love in many forms are easy to write. Explaining a topic I want to put across is a bit hard "for instance politics" Not a fan of expressing what I want to say truly about the topic. Hard to put to words that it will stick and make sense cause most of what I write is a bit mind probing.

I would say Blues (Sade, Billie Holiday, Dinah Washingston), R&B (Eryka Badu), Slow reggae (Bob Marley, Foxy Brown), Oldies (Tracey Chaplin, Prince, Percy Slaige, Al Green, Isley Brothers, Tina Turner, etc) Instrumental sound effects (moonlight, beach waves, nature and the wild, and foreign instrumentals...

Well I can say truthfully that not all hip hop are poetry, but in the form of spoken words it can relate and belong to poetry depending on what is being said or expressed in terms of its origin.

It could be apart of the ignorant poetry if its degrading, has no aim to whats being told.

Either or....
    test
  14. 6ftground

6ftground BLACKACE/GRIMREADER

I started writing a diary of day-to-day life fabricated to protect the hustlers involved, family member I knew who didn’t want the so called publicity…
    I started writing at 19 to relieve stress… Poetry helped me relieve the day to day issues..
    I guess life made me start writing poetry.

I can say RM helped me express my poetry more openly to others.
    I plan on doing open mic at poetry speaking held in various parts of the nati(OHIO)..
    I seldom read poetry, which I’m really trying to start doing…
    I’ve really only read poetry here on RM… naaa! I’m lying
    I’ve read tupac, Giovanni, Hurst, that’s about it… Ignorant isn’t it..
    But I feel if I read others I will be a copier of styles… I can’t explain it.. But I feel poetry has no structure…. If that makes any since…

I like it, it seems real sometimes, I think it’s great though it’s a door way into a whole new ball game… It’s a door opener just like jazz was to rap, hip-hop, r&b.. Feel me?

What are some of the most influential pieces you have read on her and what about them, that makes them so influence to you...

Mind and soul, brtiah, ipoet, xero, king tony, realms, just to name a few..
    Powerful with description and heart read through and through the poetry realm,
    Getting bits and piece of life and imagination…. POWERFUL….

I heard through a good Friend of mine, he use to be down with the INC… IVAN DA Terrible….. He caught me oneday writing at work, he started spitting bars at me… and after a battle that I lost horribly, he clicked on the computer and loaded up RM… Been here ever since…..Thanx L-Boogie…. Miss you around deez parts….

expressing myself, being patient and understand towards others constructive criticisms…
    Also helped me see my errors in my writing structure..

What subjects are easiest for you to write about?

Life… it’s rough right now…

What are the hardest?
    Structured poetry, punctuations, and subjects/topics​
    test
  15. yo momma

yo momma New Member

Forced into it by school.

My life and watching the lives of others

It sounds stupid. Wew dont get it here.

I can never remember names, but they are influential becuase they either talk about something thats 'taboo' or express an opinion that this 'PC' shit censors

Feme Sole. I decided to drop because some one (I think Ipoet) told me to drop some thing id written in here...

Black Soultan, Mind Soul, Omen, Naked and Feme. .
    They are people who Id like to think I can 'hang' with. That in turn makes me write more concertated.

To read certain peoples work.

Theres nothing wrong with todays poetry. Personally I think if you criticise it you should be shot. You should be feeling this poetry because these are the voices of our time. If you dont then the poets your reading are shit or your one of thoose stuck up pricks who thinks any thing past the 18th centuary is just 'poor'...

Grace Nichols. We are both extreme, (Id like to think) Inciteful, brining some veiws people wouldnt normally put on the table and can both be two of the most ignorant people since the founds of the word.

'Easy' ?, I'd have to say my mother, my current girlfreind, politics, death and every pessimistic aspect of it. Hard? Sex and other things that I cant put into words.

Eve - Love is blind
    2 Pac - White Manz World
    Talib Kweli and Mos Def - Brown Skin Lady
    Mos Def - Mathematics
    and the rest is Jazz that would be a waste naming.

Rap isnt poetry. Its an art, an expression but it isnt poetry. (I dont know) Some say rap evolved from poetry that still dont mean its poetry just as man arent apes because they evolved from them.
    test
  16. BrokenSoul8604

BrokenSoul8604 Apparently Emotionless

1. I actually cant remember when or why i started to write... dont know what my first poem was, and maybe thats a bad thing, but i dunno....

2. My aspiration to become better... and love of course... the strongest emotion that everyone feels everyday.... EVERY day

3. i love def poetry... i dont care if something is commercial or not...if i like it im not going to shy away from it because its commercial or what not.... very talented artists on the show

4. i havent been here that long so i cant say yet.... but im looking forward to reading and learning from everyone

5.i was a member a few years back before this was on.... for rap, but i kinda quit that to pursue this... even tho rap is just raw poetry... anyways i love the idea of the criticism and to a true artist, you could ask for nothing else above criticism

6. Still havent been here long enough

7. to try to become a better poet by reading and learning from others and being criticised on my works.

8. like yo momma said its the poets of our time.... saying todays poetry is bad is like when your parents say they dont like your music or that its garbage....its the voice of today...our generation...respect. (both old and new stuff is dope)

9.i wouldnt know....i would need someone else to read my stuff and then tell me... you could help me out with that lol

10. Love of course.... and anything that has a dark side to it... (love again) but sex is hard to write about....the only thing i have trouble with.

11.Anything slow.......even classic r&b and rock (dont hate me cuz i said it) but most of all Lauren Hill's unplugged album.... soothing

12.it depends....there are artists that would lead me to believe it is (mos def, pac, etc.) and others that would not (mostly anything from the dirty dirty lol no disrespect) like lil jon (YEEAAAHHH)
    test
  17. niniane17

niniane17 New Member

i started to write poetry and see the art in it when i read it for the first time. i don't remember how old i was, but the first poem i ever read was "Grin" by Robert Service.

actually just daily things, the hurt and pain. my own inner turmoil mostly, or events of my past.

i don't really have an oppinion on that. and i guess it would really depend on your perspective.

well, grin, it was all about gritting your teeth and making it through anyway. and anything by shakespear or older writers, because the have so much pain, and so much happiness, and most of the time you can't see the difference between the two.

one of my close friends was a member and knew how into poetry i aml. she said it was a good place to get feed back and critisism.

well, i haven't been here long, so, no one really.

a place to get feedback without people i know reading my things. i'm sort of hesitant about my work.

a little of both. it depends on the poet, and the topic i think.

none really.

things i know like pain and broken hearts and things are the easiest. i find it's hard for me to bull shit my way through a poem and write about things i know nothing about.

every kind of music gives me ideas, sometimes i just sit listening to music and wait for whatever mood that comes to come.

i think of it as poetry. it's something that someone pours their soul into, it's art, and so, it is poetry.
    test
  18. Index.

Index. New Member

rap isn't poetry.
    test
  19. UFO the Phoenix

UFO the Phoenix I DONT BELIEVE IN ALIENS!

.............here I am

Just recently started writing poetry...just being a fan of word-play...I'm always trying to take my art to the next level...and when people suggested that I should really consider getting my work published I started taking it more serious

Actually other poets help me...its inspiring...so much talent out there unheard and undiscovered....its a shame for it to fall on def ears...also music and current events influences my work...and God plays a key figure on alot of my work

its grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat....just got the DVD of season 1...its tight

I dunno....right now currently that piece called "a long and retarded walk in the rain"....or something like that....just really good piece...its hard to explain why I like it so much...just different...it grabs you...plus I can relate to it....also "sunflower and brokensoul" are some honorable mentions...just going off what I've read currently

I found this board on accident...I posted here in the past and never got any replys...so I gave up...thought I come back and this time stick around and see what happens

still to early to tell but I'm already amazed at all the talent on this board and the many different styles...its cool

because I love to read poems...and I want to improve my own skill

its a mixture of feelings I think poetry is making a strong comeback and is starting to build some hype again...

Saul Williams...and I also like "the last poets" and "Gil Scott Heron"...and Jill Scott

I find that spiritual concepts are easy for me...and love is always fun to play with....the hardest would be something like a story....working on that

all music...I love it all...mostly abstract and different underground hard to find stuff...the more unpopular the better...lol...just not into the whole mainstream trash

underground hip hop has alot of poetry to it....mainstream hip hop is garbage
    test
  20. Mind~$oul

Mind~$oul I'm Pretty

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.