wowowowwowow.... Nick Diaz vs. Frank Shamrock at upcoming strikeforce?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by a la Allah, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a la Allah

a la Allah Katie Effoh

By Chris Howie
    Feb 6th, 2009

With the finals details on the sale of ProElite assets now wrapping up, Strikeforce will look to move forward with their first show since completing the deal this week on April 11th and rumors already beginning to swirl. One fight that has already been confirmed for the show is Benji Radach taking on Scott Smith in middleweight action. While Graciefighter.com has confirmed that Nick Diaz will compete on the show with this statement:

His opponent has yet to be named and final contracts have not been signed, however StrikeForce is committed to securing a marquee matchup for Diaz.

MMANews.com has heard rumblings off a blockbuster bout with Frank Shamrock, from a source on each side, that could in fact headline the April 11th offering. Sources close to Diaz have told MMAnews.com that negotiations for the fight are underway with both fighters wanting the bout but nothing has been signed.

When contacted by MMANews.com regarding the proposed match up, Diaz’s manager Cesar Gracie told us via text message that while they haven’t been asked about the fight they “would be accepting it if it is offered.”

A source close to Shamrock explained to us what everyone already knows, Shamrock will be “interested in bouts that will generate big ratings” and that “he is ready to get back into the cage as soon as possible and wants to fight on the April 11th show.” When asked about the Diaz bout the source stated “that’s a fight with a lot of potential.”

Diaz would likely be moving up in weight to middleweight for the fight or it may also happen at a catch weight between 170lbs and 180lbs. It is purely speculation at this point but apparent both sides would be interested in the bout and the trash that could be talked for this one would put Shamrock/Baroni to shame. It could also be a huge main event for Strikeforce who, with their new TV deals with CBS and Showtime, will be looking to make a splash to kick start the new relationship.

More on this as it develops. Stick with MMANews.com
    test
  2. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

sick fight. but i dont like the idea of my boy nick moving up so much in weight. hes so effective cuz of his lean and ridiculously conditioned body. im afraid frank can dominate him the way gsp sonned bj
    test
  3. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

same. we'll see though. nick's cardio is wayyyy better than bj's. i think that was a big determining factor in bj's fight. this is gonna be siick
    test
  4. Adam West

Adam West wat?

diaz all day
    test
  5. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

That would be an awesome fight if Nick fights good at higher weight.. dude is already as beast so is Shamrock.

I hate seeing fighters suffer at the wrong weight
    test
  6. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

id have to give it to diaz, would love to see it tho
    test
  7. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

love diaz, but i got frankie all day so long as he can keep himself from getting DQ'd.
    test
  8. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

HOLY FUCK I JUST GOT GOOSEBUMPS!!!!!!

diaz will box franks face off then sub him
    test
  9. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

frank's one person I don't see him outstriking or outlasting. Frank wrote the book on great cardio.
    test
  10. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

You must be smoking some good stuff.

Frank should win by easy, but highly entertaining decision.
    test
  11. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

eah because it would be crazy to assume nick , a pro boxer, a bjj blackbelt and a chin of grantie could beat a guy who just got smashed by a guy with 6 pro fights

im not gonna go mmath on you but seriously, frank aint shit

i love how people contantly underestimate nick...... the dude is a fuckin stud.... KO'd lawler, choked out gomi after boxing his face off for 10 mins, got jewed in 2 decisions at least, maybe 3 against current ufc upper-level contenders

whatever you say boss
    test
  12. Big K

Big K U Wanna Battle?

Frank's last loss was to the undefeated Cung Le in a match of the year candidate. He went a full three round despite having his arm broken in the first. Nick's last loss was to KJ Noons, a man who just eight months earlier was KTFO by Charles "Krazy Horse" Bennett. Nick was annihilated in just one round. Which sounds more humiliating to you?

Nick has had one pro boxing fight, ONE. His boxing style works on opponents that are two feet shorter than him and slow(and a before his prime Robbie Lawler), but that's about it. Despite having an 11 inch reach advantage, he was outboxed by Sherk. It's funny that you mention the Gomi fight. Gomi was moreso focused on partying in Vegas than training for Diaz. He simply ran out of gas. Even then, Gomi didn't have a mark on his face after the match, while Diaz looked like he got raped in the face with a dick made of a thousand razor blades. He takes his chin for granted and doesn't use head movement at all.

Nick doesn't have the power to hurt Shamrock on the feet, the wrestling to take Frank down, and at best for Diaz, the ground will be a stalemate. It should be an exciting fight, but it's not one that I think Diaz will win.
    test
  13. exothermic

exothermic Well-Known Member

how did bjpen come outa ben's finger tips fucking nuthugger

but yeh nick diaz never really lost a match ever really n truly, dude is just a true fighter gota respect that dude
    test
  14. ScimonomicS

ScimonomicS New Member

whens cung le's next fight?

and wtf @ dude tryna downplay him??!?!? GTFO
    test
  15. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

i was talking about people moving up in weight maintaining cardio you fucking moron. bj's fight was one week ago you don't think i'd mention him when talking about the subject? qft.

nick never lost a match "really n truly" really? what do you call his losses to diego sanchez, sean sherk, joe riggs, jeremy jackson, and a few others?

i love nick though. very talented fighter. talks a lot of shit but thats just him
    test
  16. Alot of people hate nick cuzz the way he acts.. I dig it..
    test
  17. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

eh, you loaded me with facts i already knew, thats like telling a yanks fan all of a-rods career stats

everybody has a bad fight, and i would bet a weeks pay that if that noons fight continues, diaz pulls out the win... that fight was stopped , not by nick or his corner

kj wouldnt take the rematch because he is a pussified little bitch boy.... everybody had their excuse for the gomi fight hanging at the door, they can take that and go fuck themselves, i dont care what your excuse is, if youre coming to a pro fight , you better show up or accept the loss and be done, there are no excuses, gomi lost... and just because that flat little face doesnt cut easily doesnt mean nick wasnt stinging him badly

which brings me to more relevant issues concerning nick....winner of 8 of his last 9 fights, pretty impressive, funny how you bring up the one weak performance.... you didnt mention the ass beating he slapped on katsuya inoue- respected (ex or current?) king of pancrease

in fact last 3 by tko.... including denny....

now lets look at the quality of cung's opponents whom you mentioned.... GARBAGE. von flue ? fryklund?

and frank's last relevant win was tito in 99, 10 years ago

cesar gracie has 1 pro fight, baroni is cool but not anywhere near something to brag about, and the book is still out on le , like i said, garbage can opponents

nick has a good 3-4 inches of height on frank too, he should establish distance well and frank doesnt pop hard enough to KO nick, nick is much better on the ground, frank would be a moron to take the fight to the canvas

all im saying is you acted as if i were crazy for suggesting nick would win the fight......

i beg to differ
    test
  18. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

^^^ownage....

frank shamrock is overrated, nick diaz is underated.

and to bring up kj noons win is absolutely fucking ludacris. it was from a cut, and its a known fact that diaz gets better in the later rounds esp. after taking some shots. noons ducked diaz after that fight so thats all you have to say about that
    test
  19. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Here's how I see it:

- Frank is the better striker. He fared well against Cung Le in what essentially was a kickboxing vs. sanshou match. The jury might still be out on Cung Le as an MMA fighter, but as far as striking goes not many would exclude him from top 3.

- Neither should have cardio problems. Both rely on making their opponents tired to an extent, so it should be interesting to see how the fight goes when neither guy is in danger of gassing.

- I wouldn't say Nick Diaz is much better on the ground. He might even be a little better, but shoot fighting has trumped BJJ in the past. Frank's submitted some solid grapplers, including Jeremy Horn. Palhares couldn't submit a washed up Horn.

- Frank has displayed a tough chin against some powerful strikers, including Baroni. Diaz doesn't have a long history of one hit knockouts, and I don't see Frank standing still and taking those wide peppering shots.

Could go either way, but I I'd predict Frank gets some good counter shots and ground and pounds for a 2nd round ref stoppage.
    test
  20. exothermic

exothermic Well-Known Member

nigga said kickboxing vs san shou... san shoiu is kickboxing tho hahah wtf... u know san shou n mua thai is hand in hand mua thai strikers compete in san shou events n vice versa just saying..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.