would you consider marriage a religious concept? ...

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by Nu'maaN, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

... or secular, or both?

i'm asking because the homos have a problem with not being allowed to get married.

if you are so anti-religion and want to suck dick for a living, why do you feel like you need to be married.

surely you can come up with your own concept which is similar, put the ring on the penis, perhaps? jesus.

:numaan:
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  2. reggie jax

reggie jax Well-Known Member

it can be framed in a religious way, and some religions have their own rules concerning marriage, but it doesn't need to be religious. sort of like funerals i guess.

also, you realize 'homos' aren't necessarily 'anti-religion?' they probably want to get married for the same reason secular straight people do: the practical benefits + symbolic significance.
    • +Rep +Rep x 1
    test
  3. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

this^^

I dont know any homosexuals who are anti religion.

never in my life have i ever though marriage was a strictly religious concept....If it was why dont religious people get all uppity about people being married by a justice of the peace? in those cases all religion is taken right out of marriage.. Lots of people get married by JP's
    test
  4. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

i do realize this, and i should have mentioned it but i was in a hurry.

this is for those homos that are anti-religion, and still want to get married because of what, exactly?

test
  5. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

oh, so if you don't know them, they don't exist?

there's a direct relation between homosexuals, and atheism considering no religion fully accepts them.

i'd say it's a gay relationship, but that'd be pretty gay of me.

test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i didnt say that im simply just saying i dont know any homosexuals who are against religion... your original post didnt say "some homosexuals" so i was hoping to let you know that they arent all against religion
    test
  7. reggie jax

i thought i just answered that. there are non-religious reasons to get married, and religions don't have a monopoly on the concept.
    that's not actually completely true. there are religious sects that do accept homosexuals.
    test
  8. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

The benefits.
    test
  9. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

sorry mate, i should've re framed my question.

why do they then want to marry inside a church/mosque/synagogue?

test
  10. DemiGod

DemiGod Peef Rimgar

To flip off the zealots I would assume. Trolling.
    test
  11. reggie jax

do they?
    test
  12. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

they do.

this thread came about after i watched an episode of insight, last night.

and they were some anti-religion homosexuals but still wanted to be married inside the confines of a church.

those that still want to be christians, muslims, jews - it makes sense for them, but anti? why?

btw, the sheikh they interviewed in insight is a complete fucktard, and i know him personally.

one, he used a wrong name for the show, and two, he said lesbianism is a lesser sin. what the fuck.

test
  13. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

well that doesnt make sense to me....

cuz there is justice of the peace's who will do the ceremony and it still is as legal as any other marriage. All my friends used Jp's , its quite common

i wanna use a jp, because im not religious. And all the religious hocus pocus that goes on in a church/priest wedding is not what im interested in
    test
  14. reggie jax

i think the church should have the ability to marry or not marry whoever they want. it's the state that shouldn't be allowed to discriminate.

but honestly i haven't heard of anything like that before. i don't think it's something that most anti-religious people (gay or not) would really want. did they give a reason on the show why they wanted to be married in a church?

i'm pretty sure there are also churches who wouldn't mind marrying a gay couple.
    test
  15. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

i know of plenty in my old hometown. Calgary has many gay friendly christian churches

im just saying that it doesnt make sense to me that an anti religion gay couple would want a church setting when they can get the same benefits using a jp (avoiding the religion)

maybe they just like the setting?
    test
  16. reggie jax

i'm thinking it would be to make some sort of a statement. that's all i can think of.

personally the only reason i'd consider getting married in a church is to appease my family, but for gay people i'm guessing the whole "being gay" thing would be a bigger deal to their religious family than whether or not they were married by the church.
    test
  17. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

yeah in the case Numaan outlined. It seems they are trying to make a statement and stick their fingers up at the church

but id think that was a minority group of gay couples who think that way. Most normal people wouldnt use it as a political platform and just want to get married because they love each other and want to enjoy the same benefits as straight people get. But that doesnt really apply in countries where gay marriage is legal, otherwise they could just find a gay friendly church...

so it seems they are bitter in this case
    test
  18. AliceHouse

AliceHouse The House Always Wins

I'm thinking Nu'maaN did a wonderful job of demonstrating his maturity levels in this post.
    test
  19. Nu'maaN

Nu'maaN Anu'naki, Nuqqa.

not succinctly anyway, which is why i asked it here.

they just claimed that they didn't like to be discriminated against.

test
  20. FeedMeMore

FeedMeMore Moderator

It's both. Historically it's been religious but with how it affects laws and taxes and inheritance and what not You can't deny there's a major secular tie to it
    test