would it have been more fun to be a barbarian?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by x - calli, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x - calli

x - calli Guest

as in, a member of any nomadic culture that raided on the edges of civilization.. i.e. tatars, huns, visigoths, vikings, mongols, cossacks, moors, turks, manchus, etc.

your lifestyle would consist of chillin with your peoples every day, youd go on raids attacking settlements on the edges of kingdoms/empires, murking doods and taking all the food, plunder, slaves and bitches you could get your hands on. youd be physically healthy because youd be very active, riding horses and etc, and your diet would consist of alot of freshly cooked meat. youd be outside in the fresh air 24/7, and youd sleep under the stars, after spending the usual night of smoking, drinking and listening to music/stories at the campfire. and while you would have responsibilities and work to do for your clan or tribe, you wouldnt have stressful schedules and thered be little paperwork.

the world has phase-changed, and with a few exceptions, this sort of lifestyle is impossible today. while there may be a myriad of benefits to modern life, i cant help but wonder if the situation i described wasnt better suited to human nature, and if i wouldntve had a more enjoyable life in such a society.

Discuss...
    test
  2. Dex Luiz

Dex Luiz Guest

Nah.

That primal, aggressive side of me which wants to subdue my environment by sheer force of will is no match for my perpetual laziness and need for that cozy, humdrum life.
    test
  3. ESPN Deportes

ESPN Deportes ¬°Viva Atleticos!

I don't see a need to wonder, because...

... this is basically the answer given by mankind as a whole.

Otherwise, wouldn't we see more widespread rebellion against the modern system in attempt to overthrow it?

Or, is it that the modern system put in place by the few Shook Ones is now inhuman on some T-1000 shit and capable of warding off mass muscular opinion?
    test
  4. Mcg-

Mcg- New Member

test
  5. x - calli

x - calli Guest

indeed, i did mention theres a few exceptions.

i see what youre saying. im just observing that civilization and state-building seem to go against human nature in some ways.. and its true that alot of developments in history happened as a process that no one consciously planned out and executed.

although theres no mass rebellions to overthrow civilized life, you can still find the old tribalism and barbarian ways under the surface. the way people group themselves, how insiders are perceived different from outsiders, the angry energetic mob that can be seen in riots, soccer games etc. also boredom with routine, and the desire to explore (physically around the world or mentally with drugs).

civilization of course is superior, and has yielded acheivements and benefits that are greater than the barbs ever could have created. indeed, barbarians like those i mentioned used to profit from raiding the fruits of civilization, and used them to thier own benefit.. just like modern day barbarians use ak47s, cell phones, laptops and stolen credit cards and id.

basically, human nature is inclined to be the tribal barbarian, but in large numbers we have phase-changed into civilization, and it was likely by accident. the old hunter gatherers would not have wanted to live a farming lifestyle, but once the farming revolution was underway, it became more powerful.
    test
  6. Radium

Radium f k

its arguable

for one thing, sports and movies and the like serve as living examples of a desire to return to a more physically adventurous, perhaps even a purer existence.

"pure existence" though would mean that man had an original way of living his life from the start that we have now somehow strayed from and try to return to through what is basically fantasy

in other words

we went from cave-men barbarians, to telling myths and folklore, to watching sports and TV, in an attempt to preserve what we really and truly were

kobe bryant and ken griffey jr hunting giraffes while riding on wolves
    test
  7. Radium

Radium f k

thus, if we are always trying to return to this state through means such as myth, folklore, or television

It follows that there is an embedded desire that always becomes expressed through whatever current medium society and/or technology will presently allow

in the past this was done through myth but now in the present it can be done through things like TV and movies

so if this desire is permanently embedded within and constantly reappears through different mediums in our historical development

what does the future hold?

probably, virtual reality

the only question would be

would virtual reality come to replace human society completely? thus finally fulfilling the desire to return from whence we came once and for all
    test
  8. TheReturn

TheReturn Life of the Party

Man, I wonder all the time what it would be like to be an Aztec the first time they saw Spanish boats and cavalry. Or the first time a village or tribe saw a Persian fleet of thousands of boats coming in from the ocean. Or even at the turn of the twentieth century when Tesla's circuits lit up Chicago in lights for the first time.

I mean, these days we know about all kinds of shit because the internet tells us all about things that we would never otherwise see, but back then it was like, one day you're walking through the desert wondering if you're going to survive, and the next your bathing in a river and looking up at a pyramid capped in gold that rose from the sands.
    test
  9. TheReturn

TheReturn Life of the Party

That's deep as fuck if you think about it. Could be an endless circle, we create a virtual universe with an AI so advanced that as the AI live in that virtual universe, they are on their own path to develop THEIR virtual reality so that THEY can control their own AI, etc.

Shit's boggling my mind.
    test
  10. Radium

Radium f k

yeah thats what I was thinking
    test
  11. Joro

Joro New Member

If you're white, OF COURSE it would be more fun to be overtly barbaric. . .

BTW, scratch the moors off your list of barbarians and learn history.
    test
  12. Dex Lewis

Dex Lewis Guest

lol.

You're a joke.
    test
  13. liquid`acid

liquid`acid gods busy can I help you?

it would definitely be a hard stressful life, but would be interesting

always having to follow the heads of animals and constantly living on edge of disaster, especially during winter, with death being an extremely regular event would probably get to me pretty quick tho.

ive always thought growing up in a spartan like setting would be interesting too tho.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.