Workout questions....

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by R-Tistic, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R-Tistic

R-Tistic Your favorite DJ

It seems like every week, I have 2-3 questions related to workin out, and I know many other people probably wonder about the same things. So I guess I'll just keep em in here, as long as the thread doesn't get too old. Any help is appreciated.

Also, anyone else who has questions can put them there, and if I do happen to have any idea on something, I will answer it.

1. I always figured that doing the bench press and push-ups were working the same exact muscles, and that one would help the other. However, I hadn't done push-ups in about a month, and I was doing the bench press 2-3 times a week. I definitely felt stronger on the bench, and I am able to push about 30 pounds more than I was when I started a month ago. I did push-ups for the first time in over a month on Wednesday, and I did more than I used to do, although I still felt fatigued a bit. I have been sore since then...and usually, when I do push-ups, I'm only sore after not doing them for a long time...so it wouldn't suprise me if I hadn't done the bench.

So the question is.....is there a major difference between what you do on the bench and what you do for push ups? Can you do both the same day, or should you space them out?

2. How much should you work your biceps if you are trying to gain size on them? For the last month and a half, I've mainly been doing arm curls with 25 Pound dumbells. When I first started, I could do about 3 sets of 4, and now I am doing about 3 sets of 10...and I usually do them 2-3 times a week, spaced out with days. Am I doing enough, or would it hurt to do more than this on the days that I work them out? If I did these 3 sets in the morning, would it hurt doing the same or something different later on in the day?

3. I hear that crunches target the abs more, and that sit-ups target more muscles around the abs. Is this true, and is there a maximum to how many of either you should do?

4. I guess it's due to genetics, but my calves seem to stay the same damn size, regardless of how much I work them out. I have been using a machine that puts whatever weight on you that you chose. I have seen many people do different things...one guy would start at 400, do 10 quick reps, then drop 10 pounds and do the same over and over til the pounds got to 200 or maybe lower...some guys will do a set number of pounds, and do 3 sets of 15 slow raises. I've been doing enough to where 3 sets of 20-25 reps seems to be enough to make me feel it...but the calves don't look any larger at all. Is there anything else I should do, or should I stay patient with that?

5. When training leg muscles, which ones will help you to run faster? It seems like when I run, my hamstrings seem to feel the most sore, so I'd assume that they are more necessary for running faster. If not, does just practicing to run fast help the most?
    test
  2. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

1. bench and pushups do work the same muscles but through different ranges of motion. The difference is in how they work the muscle. Unless you are doing bench presses with 40 to 60% of your body weight you are lifting more when you bench, so people usually do higher reps with pushups. Your pushups are therefore training muscle endurance while your bench is probably geared more towards muscle strength. Both have their places in your overall training unless you are training specifically for one form of strength over another.

2. now that you can do 3 sets of 10 try increasing the weight. 2 or 3 times a week seems a bit excessive for arms... especially for somebody new to weight training. I would suggest focusing on things like bent over rows, and chin-ups/pull ups which will help your arm growth. You can throw in some direct arm work in once a week if you feel like your arms are not responding.

3 once again this depends on what you are training for? if you want muscle endurance you want to train abs more frequently and at higher reps. If you just want to see your abs you can focus more on diet and all around fitness (sprints might help you both by helping with your speed and with fat loss).

4 Calves require a lot of work to gain in size usually. You will definately want to do higher reps or REALLY heavy weights to get them to grow.

When you squat and deadlift try adding a calf extension at the end. each rep of your squat when you come up back to a standing position go all the way back up to your toes. same with deadlifts. That way you dont even have to do another exercise for your calves. you will take care of them while working the rest of your legs.

5. Your overall leg strength will help with sprinting. The muscles running from the back of your knee to your lower back really do effect performance alot. You can hit these muscles most easily with Deadlifts and squats (at least to paralell). On top of that i would spring once or twice a week as well. Either as interval training for your fat loss goals or specifically for speed work.
    test
  3. R-Tistic

Thanks a whole lot for that...I am mainly just training to get my body in better looking shape, because I am pretty skinny. I am not thinking as much about training for basketball, but I do want to be in better shape for that as well.
    test
  4. merke

merke ...

if you want to gain size train your triceps since they make 2/3 of the arm.
    test
  5. sketch566

sketch566 New Member

Abs question:
    You know how you're not supposed to work your arms out two days in a row. Since what you're doing is breaking down the muscle and letting it heal. Would working out the abs be better to do every other day instead of everyday, based on the same principle?
    test
  6. Red1

Red1 A Figure of Speech

your abs are a muscles just like any other. plus you work your abs in most exercises where you are standing up anyways.

if you are desperate to see your abs do not work them more... fix your diet.
    test
  7. R-Tistic

^^^So when you hear celebrities and their trainers talk about how [Usher] or [T.O.] does 1,000 situps/crunches a day, are they just talking, or do they go through somethin different that allows them to bear that kind of training?

Also...my homeboy was saying that he heard Dennis Rodman would work out 10 hours a day, I am guessing during off season. Is that even possible, and if so, is it at all necessary to work out more than 2 or 3 hours? If so, what the hell could yo do for that long?

One more ?.....for biceps, right now I am just doing three sets of 5 on 30 pound dumbells, and occasionally I'll do a set or two with a barbell. My question is, is there a maximum of different things I can do for bicep training, or could I just work them with 6-8 exercises of different types and weights? Mine are taking forever to show progress, even though I know I have been getting stronger.

Thanks for whoever can help with those.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.