working out at night

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by LiveFromThe781, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveFromThe781

LiveFromThe781 Don Of The Den

fucking sucks.

especially when youre working out around the same time youre used to going to bed. i guess i couldve just skipped it but id rather keep my schedule flowing, i was about to quit because i was getting frustrated with not performing as usual but i went back and did an exercise for my triceps i havent done in a while and got thigns flowing again.

so what do yall do when your schedule sucks and your options are either workout late or skip it/do it the next day?
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

i like it, my jiu jitsu goes until about 9 30, and thats when the gym closes, so i work out privately with my coach after class when the gym is closed and its a big open gym, we get to blast music, and be as loud as we want and use whatever the fuck we want. its great. sometimes we dont get done until like 12:30 but i when we're done i can barely walk out the door, so i have no problem sleeping when i go home
    test
  3. King Grimet

King Grimet King Grimet

I like to workout anytime really, I'm a night out so Sometimes if I just have a lot of energy for no reason I'll prepare to go workout right than, 3am, 4am, whenever.

I just recently found a new gym, pretty small, and hidden.. open 24-7, its tight,.
    test
  4. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

It doesn't matter to me.

I like working out at night because the gym is not as crowded and I don't have to wait 5-10 minutes for every exercise.
    test
  5. your suppose to workout when you wake up i beleive atleast run or something... i do my pushups and setups in the morning and do the rest after i eat breakfast lol
    test
  6. LiveFromThe781

yeah theres no way im working out in the morning, i used to work out at like 10:30 sometimes but im not "awake" enough to work out until afternoon at the earliest, besides i like to eat a couple meals before i start working out, i dont want to make my breakfast also my pre workout meal.
    test
  7. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

I don't mind working late at night, but I just went back to work and it's 7am starts, so if I work out past 9pm, I'm going to loose a fair bit of sleep.
    test
  8. MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN

MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN Ray of Sunshine

I'm up every morning at 5:30am to workout. I used to go at night, but then I gave myself too many excuses to avoid it. (i.e. a hard day at work, too much to do at home, etc) Now I only go at night if its in addition to the morning workout.
    test
  9. LiveFromThe781

wtf kind of workouts can you do at 5:30am ...yawning?
    test
  10. style-rip

style-rip Lakers>Clippers

i work out around 5pm so that i have enough time to get at least two more meals in to help replenish my body and stop muscle breakdown. working out and then passing out at night will not give you the best results, in fact you might even stay sore longer this way.
    test
  11. LiveFromThe781

yeah i feel that if youre going to work out too early or too late youre not going to get optimal gains. of course your schedule and lifestyle comes into play but like you said, if you dont eat enough afterwards you arent going to replenish as well and if you dont eat good enough beforehand then youre not going to get as good a workout. for most people sometime in the afternoon or early evening is the best time but if youre up at 5am, working out at 10am its fine and if youre working out at 9pm and going to sleep at 1am youre still in the clear. just make sure if youre workign out in the mornign you have breakfast THEN a pre-workout meal. not combining them.
    test
  12. MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN

lol.. Thats actually when I have the most energy. Usually I'm doing 45 minutes on the elliptical or alternating that with running. Then 30 minutes of alternating weight training.
    test
  13. LiveFromThe781

so you workout immediately after waking up?
    test
  14. MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN

Yup.. Well like 15 minutes after I wake up..
    test
  15. LiveFromThe781

i seriously recommend you to eat first, wait a couple hours, eat again then wait about 30 minutes to workout..especially if youre doing weight training.

if youre doing any type of exercise without a meal in your stomach, especially after sleeping which is anywhere from 7-8 hours without eating youre just going to be burning muscle for energy rather than whatever fuel your body would normally use (varying on your diet)

i never advise jogging in the first place because sustained cardio burns muscle for fuel, rather than building it. Im not saying dont run, or dont do cardio, but if you shorten it to either 1 intense 10/20 minute round of alternating high and low intensity (HIT) or a couple different circuit type things you will get far greater results in a much shorter time.

i also reccomend doing your cardio and lifting on seperate days as to maximize the results and not negate your second type of training.
    keep in mind you can do HIT with resistance although minimal weight is only neseceray..this isnt powerlifting so something youll be "comfortable" with, not in the sense that itll be easy, but in the sense that youre able to complete
    everything with proper from at a strenious pace.

also, make sure youre eating immediately after your workouts (shakes work best)

try this style out for 2 weeks and i bet youll feel like you got a workout 100x better than before.
    test
  16. MiSt_Of_CoNfUsIoN

I can try the rest, but waiting 1+ hours before I workout after waking would put me at waking up at like 3am.. and thats a no go. I usually eat something on the way out the door. Generally whole wheat toast w/ some peanut butter and tons of water. If I don't work out in the morning, I don't work out because of my work schedule.. I work ten hour days.

Otherwise the routine seems like something I should try out and see how it works. This may sound stupid but is this recommendation suitable for me since I'm a female? Or is it good for any body type, sex, or fitness goal..? I've never found a shake that I like either.. any recommendations that doesn't eat like a meal? From the above routine you've already got me eating more than I do in a day. lol

Don't take this the wrong way I'm seriously interested. I've been kinda going from what I know for the past two years and its worked, but now I've been stuck at the same weight for 4 months (which for me is a long time) so any new ideas are helpful! Thanks!
    test
  17. LiveFromThe781

well one thing thats going to help you lose weight is actually eating. you want to eat more, not in terms of portions, but in terms of frequency. most important meal of the day is and will always be breakfast. so you have to start there. even if you dont feel hungry have a piece of fruit, granola bar, yogurt, it doesnt matter as long as you eat it (and obviously nutrional value is a must) when you go for prolonged periods without eating your bodys metabolism changes and goes into starvation mode and hangs onto everything you eat because your cognitive mind and body are not linked, your body is very sensitive and is made to survive, but anyway to make a long story short you need to be eating atleast 5 times a day. ration your meals to smaller sizes and have them more frequently, say every 3 hours (since you dont seem to be a big eater)

the key to losing weight, aside from proper exercise, is diet. im not sure what your overall goals are but im assuming its that you just want to drop a couple pounds. the quickest and most effective way to do that is by cutting carbs.

for the 2 weeks you try out the exercise routine, i want you to modify your diet as well. heres what i want you to do in terms of diet

- eliminate bread completley

- eat breakfast everyday

- eat a light meal 30-45 mins prior to sleeping (aim for mostly protein based)

-limit your intake of milk, if you drink 2 glasses drink 1, if you have cereal, let the milk you have with it be the only source of milk for the day

-if you typically eat meals with a vegetable, replace 1-2 of those vegetable servings with lettuce (salad will do aswell..just dont add extra veggies)

-make water your primary source of liquid (it should be your only, but youre just starting out so 90% will be ok), gatorade and other sports drinks dont count, water is water.

these subtle changes will have a great impact on your diet.

as far as your exercise questions, you dont have to go all out, start with 10 minute sessions of a jog/run mix. if you dont have a stopwatch you can just use blocks for measurement. you can also do jumproping, or bicycling. just remember to push yourself and dont give up. im telling you, 10-15 minutes a session and youll never want to jog or "power walk" again.
    test
  18. Steve Schade

Steve Schade Bears>you

You're supposed to wait at least an hour before lifting in the morning.

When first waking your spine is filled with fluid. Working out so soon after you wake up, such as weight training, is a great way to fuck up your back.
    test
  19. bestbelieve

bestbelieve New Member

i try to fit it in anytime i can-its hard but if i don't i would miss alot-
    test
  20. J o o k

J o o k Guest

I USUALLY work out in the morning, right after work.

But when I am off, I find myself in the gym at 1am.

I am night person.

If I had it my way I would workout every night at midnight.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.