Working. Manual labor...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by VASHtheSTAMPEDE, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VASHtheSTAMPEDE

VASHtheSTAMPEDE Casting sucha thin shadow

Check it out... I recently was desperate for work, and had to take a manual labor job due to the good pay and schedule allowing me to go to school...

It's only 3 days a week. Fri-Sat-Sun for approx 11hrs a day.

It's extremely fast paced... you get a 20 min break 3hrs in a 30 min lunch 5.5 hrs in and then a 15min 8.5 hrs in.

Other than that, you don't stop. You never stop moving, you're lifting and running. It's all production and very hard to reach 95% (as you're timed) so you can't afford to stop and talk.

Anyway - I've only been at this place for 5 weeks... and EVERYONE there is fucking ripped it seems. We wear extra clothing due to it being 35 degrees in one part...-10 in another and -20 in the other so it's hard to tell. But on breaks, without sounding like a homo - people take a few layers off...and almost everyone there is in great shape.

Just in my 15 days there or so, my abs are visably more defined, i've got veins running through my arms i've never seen before and my chest has tightened up a good bit..... and I'm not even pulling production but 1 day of those. Due to being in my training period still, i have the ability to coast and not reach 95% without penalty.

I used to heard that the best workout routine was 3 days on, 4 days off?... Is that correct. I can't imagine getting a better workout in a gym... full body. I've never been near as exhausted after working out at a gym either.

So will this stop once my body gets more used to it? I havent asked anyone there if they got built from the job alone, but it seems that way.

plus, you have to eat nonstop there. I eat 2 PBJ sandwhiches per break and leftovers for lunch with the free fruit they provide on the sides.

opinions on this?

may be all my imagination but i dont see why it couldn't work.
    test
  2. LikeWise3001

LikeWise3001 I crush alot

what is your job....?

its sounds like it fuckin sucks.
    test
  3. VishTaphney

VishTaphney Guest

well basically hard labor like lifting heavy things and constantly moving makes your body ripped or strong...have you ever seen those construction workers? I doubt they go to the gym they got some popeye muscle and look like this guy and all from construction:

[​IMG]

But then you see some guys who are skinny but hella strong! so basically its a good workout.

I used to work at this food warehouse 5 years back and I would have to walk back and forth back and forth and squat down to put things on the lower shelf and then stand on my tip toes with heavy items and boxes to put on the shelfs...and not to sound gay but my ass was firm lol and my mid section was so ripped it was crazy i had the lowest bodyfat of my life doing that job. I did that 4 days a week while going to school...when i stopped doing that job i got chubby and bloated from inactivity.

The reason why alot of people who do labor jobs have great shape and stamina is if you think about what the big rule is for gain size and strenght?

stick to the 4 basic movements:

bench press, deadlift, squats,pull ups.

These excersizes are so good because they work alot of muscles in one and improve functional strength...functional strength is what construction workers and warehouse workers use every day... and what people use in general.

example.

if you have to lift a box your basically starting off squating down to carry a heavy box then with a fast explosive lift to your shoulder first! then press the box up to the top shelf with your arms.

Your basically working all muscle groups and then you do them in repitition combined with constant moving basically as cardio.

your heart rate is always up its a good workout to stay lean and hard.
    test
  4. VASHtheSTAMPEDE

VASHtheSTAMPEDE Casting sucha thin shadow

It's not that bad... unless you're lazy.

It's enough to pay the bills while going to school. Starts out at 15.00hr and increases .50 every 6mo's.

3 days a week though... thats the good part.

I was drafting, but somehow the company ran short on work and released everyone that had been there for under 5 yrs. I was there for 3.

I could go back to that, but I'm going for my bachelors... and no office job is going to be flexible and pay enough at the same time.
    test
  5. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Sounds like a dope part time job.

Edgerrin James, former Colts Rb, did manual work when he was younger and the first time he benched I heard he put up 405.
    test
  6. LikeWise3001

the part that sounds like it fuckin sucks is running and lifting and being timed....
    test
  7. dlbiininja

dlbiininja The Hip Hop Poet.

damn 40 yard dashes on the clock.
    it's that caloric deficit your always acheiving then man. burning that fat off and keeping it from settling. good going man.
    but it can be a bitch to gain weight when your trying to lift weights as well. i've always been low bodyfat and hard weight gainer cause of the type of jobs i have had. didn't really allow for me to get to much muscle mass packed on cause i was always busy. hella strong for my size just hell of a time gaining weight.
    test
  8. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

hey this is sorta off topic, but what information does the Employer ask you when dealing in the construction/manual labor field? They just ask for your name to right checks out to, right? I'm underage, so as soon as most jobs check my Social Security number, i dont get the job. Im fat as a muthafucka, but am pretty strong, so I feel Manual Labor jobs would be perfect for me, and i could lose weight doing them too...

Oh yeah, and how did you find this job? Looking in the paper or what...
    test
  9. dlbiininja

how old are you stacking and where do you live?

something you may want to find out is if they will pay you under the table. straight cash so that way the soc won't be an issue. cause one of the things you have to worry about is the child labor laws for where you live and also. the taxes that they would have to pay on anymoney the pay out to you.
    test
  10. Stackin$$$

Stackin$$$ New Member

15 - Cincinnati
    test
  11. dlbiininja

here's what you need stackin

Labor laws regarding minors
    LAST UPDATE: 3/18/2003 2:37:35 PM

Child labor laws under the federal Fair Labor Standards Act were enacted to protect the educational opportunities of minors and to prohibit their employment in jobs characterized by conditions that may be detrimental to their health or well-being. The specific provisions under the act mainly specify what type of work minors can engage in, when they can do it, and how old they have to be to do it. Generally, no one under the age of 14 is permitted to work. Fourteen and 15-year-olds who choose to work may only be employed outside of school hours for a maximum of 3 hours per day and 18 hours per week when school is in session. This age group is also prohibited from working before 7 a.m. and after 7 p.m., except during summers when they may work until 9 p.m. Sixteen and 17-year olds may be employed for unlimited hours. All children under the age 18 are banned from working hazardous jobs that require the operation of dangerous or heavy machinery. When employing minors, companies must pay minors the same minimum wage and overtime that's paid to other employees. Keep in mind that many states have different minimum ages for employment, different hours of work restrictions, and additional occupations identified as hazardous. When state and federal laws differ, the law giving the greatest amount of protection to the minor applies. The consequences of violating child labor laws are harsh. Companies found to be in violation of these laws could be subject to a federal civil penalty of up to $10,000 (ten thousand dollars) for each minor worker improperly employed. Failure to preserve the appropriate records concerning proof of each minor employee's age can also result in a substantial fine.

©2004 Bluestreak Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Related Links
    Employment contracts
    Employment discrimination
    Minimum wage laws
    Overtime
    Wrongful termination of employment

good luck on finding a job man. also other shit that might help you work wise is warehouse work type or labor. and possibly something like landscaping man.
    good luck hit me up see if i can help ya somehow.
    test
  12. Warpaint

Warpaint What now?

i worked at shop that welded oil rigs for a summer, worked one of those big grinder for 8 hrs a day. never had i seen my arms so big

sounds like a good job.
    test
  13. style-rip

style-rip Lakers>Clippers

u get paid to work out, thats hella sweet
    test
  14. J o o k

J o o k Guest

my job is a workout sometimes... running ... lifting.. wrestling.... jumping over obstacles... w/e .. only sometimes though
    test
  15. LikeWise3001

test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.