words that were taylor made

Discussion in 'Writer's Block' started by Shit with corn in it IRM'S BITCH, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. here is another quote to discuss.

Reviewers are usually people who would have been poets if they could. They have tried their talents at one thing or another and have failed; therefore they turn critic.
    Samuel Taylor Coleridge

any truth in this?
    test
  2. Sole Sovereign

Sole Sovereign Hungry But Never Starving

There's a difference in getting constructive criticism from peers and being critiqued
    test
  3. Clarksvegas_Dan

Clarksvegas_Dan Registered Voter

I think there is truth in it.lol I think it's spelled tailor. sorry.
    test
  4. test
  5. runofthejamill

runofthejamill or not.

i think it could be true, but i dont have any proof
    test
  6. runofthejamill

runofthejamill or not.

do u have any ?
    test
  7. Xero Satsujin

Xero Satsujin OnLy gOd kNoWs oR Goes

lol, they more than likely wont be back for a while Brit...but this should spark some interest...
    test
  8. Anaphora

Anaphora was here

You're right, I haven't been here in awhile... have you guys ever heard the song Brick Walls by Qwel? That's what it felt like here... arguing to a fucking brick wall. haha

This is actually not a horrible quote, though, Coleridge isn't the first, nor the last person to think such... and usually, it's an author who's had their brainchild torn to pieces... Like Hemmingway, he wrote 'The Old Man of the Sea' in response to critics tearing his first book a new one... not to say they're entirely wrong, because I agree with the quote to some extent... the funniest part of it being that he could have very well been talking about himself, being a renowned critic as well as writer.

Ever hear:

Those who can't do, teach, those who can't teach, teach gym.

?

You may've, even if it was just from that lame ass movie School of Rock.

Same idea basically... but it doesn't apply universally, because oftentimes, the most respected critics are respected moreso for their writing... at least this day and age... Kim Addonizio, Billy Collins, Stanley Drybek... the quote you must understand is from the early 1800's... not exactly the most modern source. But hell, you can still read the Republic or the Prince and get meaningful information, so why not Coleridge?

But I gotta say, trying to stir up controversy here with that quote probably won't do much good, because surreal and predicate and I don't consider ourselves reviewers, we're writers, who are at a poetry site to workshop poems, and have ours workshopped... there's a big difference. One is talking about absolutely completed pieces that are out to the world to be digested and talked about, the other is newly conceived pieces that may need some tweaking or new direction...
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.