With a condensor & mixer, do I really need a Delta 44?

Discussion in 'Audio Help & Tips' started by Shaw-King, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaw-King

Shaw-King New Member

I mean I use a top of line soundcard in terms of shitness...it's so ghetto it doesn't even have a name. It's just a bunch a numbers and letters. Still tho, I use an Audio Technica dynamic and I can get pretty good quality (cuz I know how to mix and master and shit). Anyway, I just purchased an Audio Technica AT 3035 condensor and a Behringer MX602 Mixer (basically just for the phantom power) but I am hesitant to cop a Delta. I don't know how much better quality it can give me. Anyone that is knowledgable on the topic can you please tell me how much of an improvement I would get if I pissed some dough away for a Delta 44. And please, if you've never used a Delta, don't respond. I've researched it already and I know that it is supposed to be professional. Anyway, drop knowledge y'all.
    test
  2. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

test
  3. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

Same question i have AT 3035 and a GT55 and DBX pre - and my boy PD can bring over his behringer mixer - should we cop a delta 44?
    test
  4. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

You are using a behringer eurorack mixer as your mic's preamp... no soundcard in the world is going to save you.
    test
  5. PG-13

PG-13 Kiss My Ass

hahahahaha ^^ unless u get lucky and that Behringer has a Nice preamp on it... I've gotten some good behringer units but took me a few Buy and Returns to get a Quality one.. Yes just because u have a Mixer you will still need a Soundcard..

you wouldn't expect such a Noob question from someone with a name like Basement Productions
    test
  6. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

nah the behringer is my boy PDs - not here - i wuz sayin will i notice a HUGE difference if i purchase a 44, when right now im runnin a AT3035 and DBX pre-amp, like should i hurry and buy it or can i jus pick it up eventually and notice a little difference
    test
  7. WDPS Recordz

WDPS Recordz t(* *t)

u wont need the delta 44 but u should get the audiophile 2496 to hook ur mixer into ....they got the same quality
    test
  8. BPINCdef

BPINCdef Renaissance Man

not usin a mixer
    test
  9. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

As long as your recording at 96k/24-bit, you'll be a happy one.
    test
  10. Shaw-King

Shaw-King New Member

Ghet - I know you went to school for sound engineering, but the fact is that most people don't notice the little tiny differences in sound that you do. My friend uses the same mic and mixer (AT 3035 and Behringer) with a Soundblaster LiveDrive and he gets sound quality that sounds better than 50 Cent, and to tell you the truth, he barely masters anything (he compresses and de-esses but that's about it). So I don't see nothing wrong with a Behringer mixer. Besides, most people don't listen to music on studio monitors, they listen to it in their cars, earphones, or the clubs and usually none of those have clear audio signals coming out. I just want to have the best quality possible before it gets to a shitty boombox so that it still sounds good coming out of a fisher price player, you know what I'm saying?
    Anywhoo, I'ma cop a delta cuz i'm finding some good prices and shit around town...wink wink! I'm set this up in the basement.
    test
  11. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

behringer mixers are not good preamps...ummmm....a delta will improve ya quality over whatever soundcard you have right now.
    test
  12. Shaw-King

Shaw-King New Member

Ok, you guys say they are not good pre-amps.....why? Have you tried out a million preamps and mixers to find out? Ghet, I'm sure you've played around with a ton of shit at Full Sail. Can you explain why y'all claim Behringer ain't no good, cause like I said, my boy is getting by just fine. People think he done his shit at a pro studio so I don't think y'all know what you're talking about. Anyway, explain for me please.
    test
  13. PG-13

PG-13 Kiss My Ass

i work in a Studio i get to try out alot of shit.. I buy alot of units for a my studio and if i dont like then i return .. Behringer is a Hit and miss company thats why most say they are not consistant... they dont always kick out shit gear .. i bet you my recording studio that if u Purchase 5 of the same unit they will not all sound alike shit they might all sound diff and thats not a good thing... Have him Use a better preamp then Compare it with the Behringer Preamp and u will notice the diff
    test
  14. Enigmatical

Enigmatical Damn Commie

some of us have played with a ton of preamps....

why does it sound like ass? sub par parts... sub par labor...

if you buy a pre amp from a company that has experienced technicians putting together preamps with quality electrical components then the preamps sound quality will be much better than any of the trash behringer puts out..
    test
  15. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

My roommate bought a behringer mixer and an MPC when he moved down here. After a few months of school, he damn near gave up both for free because he knew they were utter crap.

Audio has a funny way of lying to you. If you got good monitors and piss poor equipment, of course you think it's gonna sound good. If you up the volume really loud, of course it's going to sound better, you just brought up all of the detail. But these are illusions, and do not accurately capture sound as it has happened..

And that's the point of recording: Capturing the best quality sound you can afford. Sound is infintely dying when it is born. When sound leaves the source, it will continue to degrade until it is eventually nothing. So when you hook up all of these mechanical and electrical devices to that audio capturing, all of a sudden, you're increasing the deterioration of the sound! A preamp will add some color here, a mic will boost some highs here, the mixer will cut the lows here, and this is before any EQ has even took place! For some gear this coloration is good and is intended, but for the most part, every person's selection of "high quality" equipment consists of the hissy, POS Behringer mixer whose noise level is claimed to be at a set 86 db, but always drops to about the 70 and in some cases, the 60 db level.

If you record crap and you're expecting the mixdown EQ and special effects to compensate for where it lacks, you've totally missed the point of recording.
    test
  16. Shaw-King

Shaw-King New Member

What do you recommend then? Name a couple of brands and models....and tell me why they're good. Just remember one thing...keep it in the same price range.
    test
  17. mic1tharula

mic1tharula 790 verbal

lol. just because behringers are the cheapest for the number of channels doesnt mean that they are a good deal.
    test
  18. Ghet-Ghet

Ghet-Ghet Guest

There's your problem: Brand loyalty. As Enigmatical was talkin about, you can have the same gear coming out of the same factory under the same model and you can still have two totally different sounding units. And if that's the case, going for brand loyalty should be kept with one thing in mind: consistancy.

AKG (Germany) has been around since a few years after WW2. AKG = Reliable.

Neumann, very expensive, but insane quality. Those crazy Germans are at it again.

Shure: They make good dynamic mics and are great for drum kits.

Those are for high-end applications and rightly so, their products are predictable and very consistant.

However, for the most part, all of you are stingy with your money, demanding the best quality without the financial dedication. So what can you do?
    Understand what to look for in gear! Going off magazines, friend reviews, and even primadonna posts of kids like me is only going to run you into debt. You need to know how to read spec gear and how to determine what it has off of the spec sheet. Ot helps immensily. Yay, the mic boosts the 2560hz range natrually, but damn, it has a 1:75db noise ratio!?

Know what you want you are trying to accomplish! Simply saying you want the best quality ain't gonna cut it. What do you mean by best quality? No hiss? Harmonic amplification? Amped high ends? A natural low rolloff? Saying that you want to sound like Jadakiss means your gonna buy an AKG C12 (I believe that's what they used for his last album) for a mere $5,000. You need to understand a bit about audio and what you are trying to accomplish before you start playing the gearhead game.

Can you take crap gear and make it sound good? Of course. Will a trained ear able to know it came from crap gear. Of course. And since the majority of people that possess the power in this industry have a trained ear and you wanna play the thrift gear game, you better hope your talent supercedes the crap gear. But at the same time, if you suck super dick on the mic, you can have the best gear in the world.. you're still gonna suck.. but sound really good doing it.

You can't play the brand loyalty game at this low of a financial level. It's not going to pay off. If your serious about your music, you better know the tools that will help you get to the ends you want. You can't treat it like a normal consumer buying a car or a computer and not knowing shit about it and hoping for the best.
    test
  19. Shaw-King

Shaw-King New Member

Sounds good man....but bottom line is I ain't got that kinda cash so even if I'm willing, and I am, I can't afford it. I've got a life outside of music so I can't dump thousands into a mixer...word....but I see what you're saying and true to that. I'ma play my cards as I get 'em, but do this for me, go and listen to 50 Cent's pre-Shady shit....it sounds like...shit. He still got known, so I ain't worried too much. I know if it sounds good, no one gonna care really that shit ain't 120%....my opinion. Thanks for the feedback tho...by the way...I've completed my purchases and this is what I copped:
    Mic: Audio Technica AT 3035
    Mixer: Behringer MX602
    Soundcard: Delta 44

....so I'm good....I'ma build a booth in the basement next and get my mixtape game rollin'.... later boyz
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.