Will Sony Win The Next Generation War?

Discussion in 'Game Zone' started by LokStok, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LokStok

LokStok Fuck that LokStrok cunt

So ... who's already put their liver or kidney on ebay to cop a PS3?

With Sony losing it's case on rumble technology .. hence dropping the rumble feature in their PS3 pad in favour of (stealin yet another idea) motion detection technology .. I was just wonderin how many of you are bothered about the rumble feature ..

Does anyone actually bother turnin it OFF in a game?
    Does it really add any extra depth/experience to a game?
    Do you ever miss it in a game that doesn't utilise the feature?

Sony argued that rumble and motion features can't be done together as they mess with each other .. which is incorrect anyways as the Wii remote uses both .. now to save face they're tryin to say the rumble feature in pads doesn't really add anythin to a gamin experience ..

Are Sony gettin a little too big for their boots?

They'll be releasin a console that's gonna cost you the sale of a vital organ to buy .. they're forcin an expensive media on the public by way of Blu-Ray .. they're still not gonna be utilisin online functions/features (compared to MS and Nintendo) ..

Do Sony really believe they have such a stranglehold on the market that they can take such liberties? ..

I believe the Playstation brand has done so well over the years mainly due to Piracy .. they're naive to think it's because they have delivered the 'best' console with each generation .. cos that is not true .. the PS1 had no real competition at the time with Sega's legacy dyin out with the Saturn and the N64 only havin GoldenEye as a 'must have' game .. Sega then launched the Dreamcast which was a good console with good games but without EA signin up inevitably it was doomed .. along comes the money hungry PS2 .. 2 pad ports?!?!? .. lasers that had a 6 month life span if you were lucky .. but it had lots of developer support .. the game shop shelves were filled with PS2 garbage with the odd good game amongst them .. then MS pick up where the Dreamcast left off .. online gamin and 4 pad ports standard (yes I know the N64 also had this) along with shoulder 'triggers' and ports in the actual joypads for memory cards etc. .. less games? .. yes .. but a better ratio of good>trash games ..

I think Sony could well blow a massive hole in it's foot with the PS3 and their own ego trip .. EA can have an ego .. they can decide not to develop for a certain platform .. they have the power to demand a slice of the xbox live pie from MS if they want online games from them .. Sony however simply provide a format .. the Piracy 'problem' dies with Blu-Ray technology and I believe it will also kill a big protion of their market share .. the Wii has its innovation while lackin in the power that the 360 has .. the power which the PS3 doesn't over shadow at all .. they're basically on par with each other in that catergory .. so what does the PS3 really have to offer over both of the competition? .. brand name alone won't win this console war of the next generation ..

Exclusives? ..psh!.. 360 has more exclusives that are worth coppin .. and with Sony's bigger exclusives (Final Fantasy and GTA) seein multi-format realses .. does the future have a big Sony logo inprinted on it? .. me thinks not...
    test
  2. Little Lotus

Little Lotus New Member

im a bigger sony fan than xbox. . i own 360

but i think 360 has this one on lock

ps lost too many exclusives

so now im asking myself.. why should i pay.. 600 dollars plus games for another system? even if it looks a little better
    test
  3. Esko

Esko Retired M O D

^^they wont look that much better....by the time developers learn how to really work the hardware the games on both systems will look incredible....it will be all about game experience and the type of games the individual likes.....Sony should do well but I think they are gonna struggle more than they think this gen....dont get me wrong the initial shipments will sell out they always do....its what happens after that that will determine Sony's fate in this gen....
    test
  4. Graphx

Graphx Word? Word!

that shit was really well put...360 just has too much of a jump on sony...and with the holiday season coming...the average consumer is gonna come across the Wii and in my mind...they will come to the conclusion that its a much better buy for their children...they will also be more readily available and with such a BIG price difference in hardware and a slight difference in games...to me, its a decision that will easily lean towards Nintendo...we seen the numbers put up by the DS and newly released DS Lite...Also, 360's are going to be in stock across the nation when christmas comes around...lets say PS3 sells out like 360 did and there's a shortage...which is inevitable...parents and of age consumers alike are obviously going to go for the trusted and proven 360 or the much cheaper Wii...which seems fun as hell...

I've got 360 and I'll be picking up a Wii...

next-gen rankings

1.Microsoft....by a loooong shot
    2.Nintendo...slightly ahead of...
    3.Sony...

those are my predictions...peace BIATCH
    test
  5. Little Lotus

Little Lotus New Member

if i dont get a ps3 at launch HIGHLY DOUBTFUL

ill wait a year
    test
  6. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

I honestly think shit will be neck and neck. Both have significant pros and cons. Xbox is cheaper, and has bigger franchises, now that GTA will launch on it with PS3. PS3 is vastly more exspensive and the average consumer cant comprehend why. XBOX is dead in Japan, Sony will obviously stomp them out there, Xbox has the headstart... I dunno who will win, im thinking itll be close, I personally am a sony fan who converted to Xbox. Sony is a good system, with a million games, but they all suck. The only thing Ima miss about PS is the metal gear franchise, and even so, their last game sucked, and eventually it might get ported over like they did for mgs2 on gamecube.

Really I think XBOX has the advantage, just because of price. The average parent buying their kid a new system, looking at them both side by side, it aint hard to know what the majority is gonna be buying. Most of the things great about PS3 are still obsolete, they are trying to get too far ahead of modern technology.

Really tho, the PS3 is a decent price, shit is basically a computer. I mean, in all honesty its only 200 bucks more, all the games and periphials and other shit is about the same price. The main reason people are upset about the price, is because people dont look at it like its that much better than Xbox. Myself included, but the arm and liver talk is absurd. I bought my Xbox premium package with 3 games, another controller, and a charger and it cost me like 750. All the same shit for PS3 would only be around 1000, and thats the 1 time initial investment, after that its all the same.

That shit was a nice gimmick at first, but its useless, I couldnt care less if its on/off or if I have it or not. It dont really add to the feel of a game, or gameplay at all for that matter, it was just a gimmick. I do however think Nintendos speaker is a great idea. But rumble, eh...with or without it, I couldnt care less, its a gimmicky useless feature.

Lastly, im not sure how short they are gonna ship the PS3, but imagine how many Xboxes might get sold for the people who go to get a ps3, realize they aint getting one, realize they got a G in their pocket, and put it to use.
    test
  7. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

1.. Nintendo FTMFW... every fucking kid from ages 8-14 all over the world is going to buy this fucking thng. Japan will most definitely sell out probably quicker than PS3.

2. PS3... or 360... hmmm Yeah Definitely Sony.. Brand recognition is a bitch. When it comes to electonics of any kind, ppl trust Sony... the fact is in the pudding.

The only thing Sony is worrying about is if they can sell just as many consoles as MS did in Europe. Then the 360 has absolutely no chance of squeezing out a victory at all. They will end up at the bottom, and it would not surprise me. Because in the lack of consoles sold in Japan for the 360's which was a fucking horrible debut over there, Sony will easily sell out in their home town. They will easily sell out in the US, and the thing I wonder is how will they do in Europe. Shit 1=1 dollar to pound or dollar to Euro doesn't exist over there so they definitely are paying out the ass for this console. Especially in the UK when it is what, 1:1.82 dollar to pound ratio... jesus.. and 1:1.2 dollar to euro... they definitely have something to gripe about. If Sony did the right marketing then Sony easily takes second and has the chance to pull ahead of everyone yet again.

Oh yeah... in terms of winning.. what constitutes winning? I am guessing market shares. Because in general profit revenue... Nobody is beating Nintendo.. they are going to totally destroy on the basis of revenue earned.
    test
  8. LokStok

Yes .. I was talkin market share ..

Nintendo's profits are based on the handheld market .. they ain't rakin in anythin on the home console front .. since the release of the Playstation and later on the XBox they have lost ground on the market share for the console media .. but not even Sony with the PSP can eat into Nintendos share of the handheld market .. the PSP is a decent piece of kit .. but the games are mostly just ports or versions of existin PS2 franchises .. UMD sales are no-where near what Sony were hopin for .. Nintendo lead the way with innovation .. the DS and the Wii both showin what Nintendo are all about .. the problem they have is the label of the "kiddies platform" .. I had a PSP for around a month before sellin it ..

I own a 360 (aswell as my old xbox) .. I've been thinkin of gettin a DS Lite but I think I'll save my money for the Wii .. the horsepower may not be as kick arse as the PS3 and 360 .. but the fun factor will compensate that plenty .. I won't be touchin the PS3 like I didn't touch the PS2 .. basically cos I don't need to .. I have a great console in the 360 which will have more games to choose from by the time the PS3 has built even a generous amount of releases .. there won't be any noticable differences in multi-format releases (except acheivement awards on 360) ..

Microsoft's reliability and customer care pisses all over Sony and their fault ridden consoles .. I personally went through 5 Playstations and don't know anyone that has had a PS2 that lasted longer than 18 months without either a disc read problem or total melt down .. had my original xbox since launch and it's still goin strong ..

There's no denyin that Piracy comes into people's thoughts when they look at consoles .. and with game prices risin in the next gen it could be an even stronger factor with people's choices .. it was the only reason I stuck it out with the PS1 havin games for a couple of pound .. and I know alot of people that only opted for the PS1/PS2 because they all knew someone who would chip their console and supply dirt cheap games ..

Not sure if it's available just yet but I've read rumours of a chip for the 360 to play copied games .. the Wii will be revertin from those little discs they used on the Gamecube to normal sized cds .. for the first time leavin the possibility/potential for piracy on one of their formats .. PS3 will be the console of this generation to try to force out piracy usin Blu-Ray discs ..

Brand name does mean somethin to the public .. that's why Nike/Adidas is more expensive yet sells more than somethin like Gola/Hi-Tech .. but there is a point where you would draw the line on payin for those new Nike shoes .. maybe Sony are pushin that line with the price of the PS3 ..

Sony are currently flauntin the idea around game retailers for a £150 deposit on the PS3 .. a deposit that could get you upto 4 360 games or a bunch of 360 accessories .. a deposit that would get you a DS Lite with 2 games .. a deposit that would ... you get the idea .. that's just the deposit! .. the deposit that is near 1/3 of the cost of the stand alone console .. a console that retailers are suggestin will only be sold in bundles at launch ..

As someone has mentioned .. all this would have parents walkin into game stores to get little Tim's PS3 christmas present and seein that for their hard earned cash they can walk out with a 360 or Wii with more games and/or accessories with money left over to go and treat themselves too .. Sony are pushin out part of their market share with the price alone .. alot of people have alot more to do with $1000/£600 than to buy a home console with 2 games ..
    test
  9. Tigre

Tigre Ax Me About Ebonics

You make a good arguement. Yet, as u said Nintendo did up with hand helds, but they were the only company of the last generation gaming system to actually make profit. Xbox was a Billion dollars in the hole. Nintendo outsole everyone in terms of hardware in 04 gaming war. Xbox was outsold in 03 by the Gamecube..soo as I said before, Nintendo will be the number one gaming system. I still don't understand how ppl don't see the hard figures proclaiming this fact.

The funny thing is that in the states the figures will be so close it will be a wash. So therefore we go onto the other countries which is going to play the biggest factors. We know in Japan PS3 will outsell Xbox atleast 9 to 1. I mean, did Xbox 360 even 37000 units there?

As for gaming... can't tell you until PS3 finally comes out. Although the brand naming can push the limits in terms of price, thus the reason it is called brand recognition. Thus the reason a pair of Jordans can cost up to 150-160 dollars. For some fucking sneakers, give me a break. If SHOES can cost that much and most have no issues paying that much for Jordans, and 300-500 or Dunks, then shit... if someone is complaining about the PS3 price. We paid 60 fucking dollars way back in the day for Super nintendo video games, and not including in 1991 the SNES was what 200 dollars. So lets process inflation and understand that what we are paying now is not that fucking ludicrous. Although it makes you think damn the Wii is one hell of a deal. And without a doubt it is. I will probably buy one for my Godson.

The price is not going to kill Sony. It is way to early to say Blu-ray is going to kill Sony. Can we atleast wait till the end of the year to make a better educated guess at this issue. Because still in my mind, MS and Sony are playing for number 2 and 3. Nintendo seems to be the clear winner of this battle. I am sure the market share will go in terms of nintendo. Because unlike Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo will come out with other sources of revenue to keep them gaining more shares of the market. MS will just continue to lose money and do nothing to help them get out. I will be surprised to see them surpass their revenue margin of $1,000,000,000 in debt.
    test
  10. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

nah man..the rumble is very useful........in most games you can tell when your taking damage or being hit by feeling the rumble without looking at your energy bar...you can tell if your character is about to die in some games.......in fight night its useful to know when your hit cleanly if something gets through your gloves...like on fight night for 360......on splintercell its extremly useful for picking locks.......where you actually feel when youve hit the right spot.....

the rumble is very useful.....extremly useful.....and it adds another dimension to the game.....i notice it when it isnt on now.......
    test
  11. xbox360

xbox360 New Member

in another form i go to i read that japan wants the wii more then the PS3(mostly price and the wii controller). the xbox360 is doing alot better in japan then the xbox(and the xbox360 isnt doing good in japan witch is sad. the wii will sell better then the xbox360 and PS3 when it comes out for a month or 2. its just that the wii will cost alot less to make with means more to sell witch is a good thing, lets say a friend buys a wii and their friends cant find a xbox360 or ps3 he might buy one just to play on a next gen console.

the DS sales will help the sales of the wii, they are going to need a way to play DS games on the wii and that would be a good idea for .

well sony is not making much money besides the gaming, and consoles sales. sony sales of non console are bad, sony need the ps3 to win.
    well microsoft, is going to have vista coming out later this or early next year.(i think vista is coming out nov or dec. microsoft just bought some stocks back so i think their planning that vista will have a big impack on their stocks.

xbox360 will sell better then the 1st xbox
    wii will sell better then gamecube
    the PS3 will not sell llike the PS2 (no consoles will ever i think)

but 1 thing i know is that the PS2 will sell better then the xbox360 and PS3 and maybe the wii to in nov. and dec.
    test
  12. LostBoySince'86

LostBoySince'86 Peek-A-Boo

i just want to say kudos to this thread for not being a fanboy whine fest.

nice arguments from everyone.

in my opinion, sony is kinda shooting themselves in the foot. putting so much pressure on blueray being successful and talking like they already won the console war.

wii60 all for me.
    test
  13. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Yeah, fanboyism is gay. Anyway, Im rootin for nintendo too, but I cant see them coming out a clear cut winner. Nintendo wins, if nintendo improves over gamecube. Who knows, shit might just even out ... nobody might clearly win. Which would be best case scenerio actually..
    test
  14. Esko

Esko Retired M O D

I too was worried this would become a fanboy bashing thread and am happy to see that it didnt.

As with LostBoy I will be enjoying the Wii60 combo in my house this holiday as well as the added bonus of the DS Lite. Nintendo cant be touched in the handheld market and the great involvement with the Wii is gonna be incredible regardless of the graphical horsepower......again the flaw I see in Sony's plan is forcing the Blu-Ray on people. The games arent going to need that much space on a disc and developers that know what they are doing can optimize to fit on a standard DVD and still look the same. THey are banking on their name which will sell consoles but the way MS has approached it with the HD-DVD addon (and mention of a Blu-Ray addon if that becomes the standard for movies) leaves them much more open for adaptation.....if Blu-Ray loses the format war what kind of hole will that put Sony and the consumers that invested so much in it too.....I smell a BetaMax repeat....
    test
  15. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

I already got the 360, I might get the Wii, I dunno really. I really like Gamecube, I feel its just as capable a machine as PS2 and Xbox, my main problem is that they have no games! Literally, the only games I got for my gamecube are

Resident Evil
    Resident Evil 0
    Resident Evil 4
    Metal Gear The Twin Snakes
    Mario Sunshine
    Luigis Mansion

All great games, but over the years...youd think you might have a bigger collection than that. Im not really a big fan of gimmicky things either, and like it or not alot of WII games will be gimmicks, like that garbage looking sword fighting game, I aint tryna swing the controller around like an asshole.
    The speaker in the controller, and the other attachment look dope tho. I might cop it, just because like its been said, its only costing like 250.
    test
  16. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

Them addons will cost prolly like 200-300 dollars, so in all, that would end up making Xbox a more exspensive machine. I think Microsoft is smart in banking on the fact that nobody wants to see change. I think most of the population is happy with the quality and the relatively low price of DVDs. HD-DVDs cost 30 bucks. I mean really, DVD hasnt been a standard format for more than 5 years & greedy mothafuckers are already trying to advance it to the next level. I think its too early, and im not interested in any way, in HD DVD or blue ray shit yet. How good can a picture honestly look? I got a big screen and a high quality dvd player, and im more than happy. Im waiting for better advancements in the audio sector...

Sony is banking on the fact that because they sold alot of PS2s that everyone is so endlessly in love with them, they will succomb to the urge to buy their new system.
    test
  17. LokStok

too true OZ ..

My TV and 5.1 system cost me around £1500 (aprox $2700) and it's only 3 years old .. not lookin to replace it for atleast another 3 years .. that is the time I will look to get me a HDTV .. by that time both developers of games and dvds will have a better grasp of HD technology and be utilisin it better .. it will also take that long for games developers to fully unlock the potential of the 360/Wii/PS3 to deliver truely jaw-droppin in game graphics ..

Sony are failin with the UMD format .. the MiniDisc format has also bitten the dust (after buildin some momentum but ultimately not takin off) .. I don't see Blu-Ray takin off either personally .. CDs and DVDs are known and reliable formats that people trust .. I think Sony are on to a loser with Blu-Ray ..

The leap from Cassette Tape and Vinyl to DVD and CD was one that was very much needed .. the digital age was here and things needed to progress to account for it .. we haven't been in the digital age for long and as OZ says .. we don't need any (expensive) advancements yet .. sayin that .. HD is a small advacement in utilisin digital data that simply adds some spit and shine to visuals .. if you have the money to invest in it then there's nothin wrong with steppin up to HD .. it's an indulgence .. Blu-Ray however is another format that requires expensive accessories to use .. a Blu-Ray player will cost more than a HDTV and you will need a HDTV on top of that ..

nah .. I think Blu-Ray will fail on so many levels ..
    test
  18. -Oz-

-Oz- ^^^^^

& I consider myself a technology buff. I had DVD as soon as it came out, and I upgraded the players as things like progressive scan came to fruition. I just dont see the need to jump up again.
    test
  19. LiQuiD6

LiQuiD6 Left hook Justice

piracy doesnt help any game company.....they dont make money on the system..they make money on the games..so if you pirate games......they dont make as much money....no matter how many systems they sell
    test
  20. LokStok

I didn't say they make revenue from piracy .. I said that piracy is a factor in a pecentage of consumer choice ..
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.