Will MMA stirking ever evolve to elite level?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by SeeSon, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I know the common sense answer is of course, but I'm not sure. The one thing that disturbs me about MMA striking is the footwork and defense. For many mixed martial artists as soon as they get in trouble on the feet, they instantly look to shoot or clinch. This is why I think striking has been slow to evolve within the sport. Since most elite MMA fighters come from elite grappling backgrounds (wrestling or bjj) there is no commitment to striking once things don't go your way. I think the well roundedness of MMA is actually to the detriment of the striking aspect of the sport. Thougths?
    test
  2. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

This is exactly why the answer is no.

You can't reach the level of pro strikers who spend every ounce of energy for years doing nothing but striking by doing a little bit of striking every day before wrestling practice.

The only thing that can be done is to focus on nothing but striking for a while, which of course leads to everything else going downhill. And of course when you have to make a choice between the two, go with grappling because that's what works best in MMA. That's why I don't believe that being "well-rounded" is such a good thing, because you have to have a solid foundation before you build on other aspects. Not saying that there won't ever be elite strikers, but they'll always be the exception rather than the rule.

But grappling suffers for the most part as well for the same reasons, it isn't just striking. You're not going to attain Demian Maia level jiu jitsu between kickboxing classes.
    test
  3. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I think that the grappling aspect of the sport may kill it. If the sport ends up becoming as technical with grappling as boxing is with striking, I don't see the current fan base staying around.
    test
  4. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Also, I was actually thinking about this the other day. I've seen the boxing vs mma discussion a lot recently with jones-silva talk. Of course the whole argument is absurd, but I do believe an elite boxer has a better chance of doing well in big time mma than a mma guy has of making it big in boxing. It's no different than guys like Maia crossing over to MMA with success. They have one aspect of the game mastered.

Of course it would take some cross training, but with the striking not being a big concern there's quite a bit of time to learn sprawling.
    test
  5. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

I think MMA is pretty much going to stay the same as it is now, just different faces. There will be boring dominant wrestlers, the occasional entertaining striker that does well, brawlers with good chins, etc.

I really don't see it going to either extreme. UFC does a pretty good job of weeding out the boring guys.
    test
  6. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I don't see things remaining the same. I agree with what Forrest said. It was something to the effect that the days of being able to pick up mma in your late teens/early 20s are over. Now you have guys that will have been either wrestling or practicing bjj since childhood. I think mma will look like the welterweight division where all of the top guys are ncaa level wrestlers. With the few exceptions sprinkled in.
    test
  7. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

Anderson Silva already has.
    test
  8. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

Yeah, Silva and Lyoto are elite level strikers, but I meant would being an elite level striker ever become a prerequisite for mma like it is to become a successful boxer. I think we will always see a few great strikers sprinkled into mma but the vast majority of the most successful mma fighters are elite grapplers.
    test
  9. OurSin

OurSin lol @ equality

A silva says yes....
    test
  10. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

What's Silva's background? Was he a childhood learner like Lyoto?
    test
  11. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

^I'm not 100% sure how long he's been doing it, but I know that he wasn't really that great of a striker until about 06.

People like to cite the heel hook from chonan, but anderson was getting whooped in every aspect of the game, including striking. and chonan sucks at striking.
    test
  12. toker

toker My Money Grow On Trees

brazilians have been crossing training for decades

nothing new
    test
  13. toker

06 hahaha no
    test
  14. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

06 hahaha yes

wild, wanderlei-esque swinging and occasional flying knees do not count as great striking.

I know you like to pride yourself on being an MMA elitist, but you really don't seem to be very insightful or knowledgeable about MMA. When the fight goes to the ground, you're the first person to get up and go to the bathroom. When fighters are sizing each other up, you're the guy yelling "swing you pussies."

Go watch toughman.
    test
  15. Knowledge

Knowledge Guest

Anderson Silva started fighting MMA with Chute Box way back when, but things went sour so he started his own training team & has been with the Wolfslair ever since I believe.
    test
  16. Mac Sabbath

Mac Sabbath New Member

Anderson Silva has no affiliation with Wolfslair that I'm aware...

I know he has been affiliated with Nogueiras, Black house, and recently Freddie Roach.
    test
  17. toker

lol

when did anderson fight like wandy??

u must not have followed chute box for a long time cus everybody would have told u wandy was the least technical of all the fighters..

not that it really matter since hes still better than most standing..

an outside golden glory name a camp with as good as strikers..

chute box produced wandy, anderson, pele, shogun, ninja, cyborg, etc.. hell even jerome lebanner went to train with them and hes a top lvl k1 fighter..

quote from quadros, if u even know who he is..

" reputed to be the best technician standing an on the ground in the chute box gym"

[youtube]OWzZi4k12PI[/youtube]
    test
  18. AnyMeans

AnyMeans New Member

The reason the footwork is unlike boxing is because they do Muay Thai and alot of Muay Thai guys don't employ much footwork. Also you have to keep a little wider base to check the kicks. Although I feel like you have seen improvements in striking throughout the top tier of MMA for a little while now.
    test
  19. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

it'll never be on the level of boxing for the simple fact there are more elements involved.. kicks, takedowns, throws, etc
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  20. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

I don't think that is the expectation (to be on the level of boxing). I think the biggest problem I have is that it is sloppy for boxing, kickboxing, and muay thai standards. The vast majority of strikers in mma do things that would be considered sloppy by either of these disciplines.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.