Will Emmitt Smith's rushing record ever be brokin?

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by hYpOconDriAdIcT, Jul 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hYpOconDriAdIcT

hYpOconDriAdIcT New Member

Emmitt rushed for 18,355 yrds in 14 seasons... now I dont see how this record could be brokin for one simple reason... running backs just arent lasting as long as they used to...

look at LT.. Shaun Alexander, Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson and more im prolly just forgetting but u get the point.

not only that, more and more coaches are realizing this, and switching to multi back backfields making it even more difficult to gain big numbers on the ground (in a season, let alone one's career)

Now if anyone in the league right now could do it, its Adrian Peterson... my concern with him is his running style... theres no way he will last in this league with the violent way he runs... have u ever seen some of the shots he takes during a game?? not just that the coaches run him like crazy. if he is lucky he'll last 8 to 9 years IF he is lucky... so assuming thats correct he would have to gain around 2,000 yards a season to have a chance so he's already behind schedule.

when u look at the backs who last in this league and put up big numbers, u'll see that the majority are smaller backs who know how to avoid contact.

Interesting Fact: The top 4 RBs in all-time rushing yards are all under 6 ft tall and all under 210 pounds.. coincidence?

Peterson doesnt avoid contact, he seeks it.. which i love about him, but it usually doesnt spell out a long lasting career.

now theres always an exception to the rule.. Jerome Bettis for example... the only big contact seeking back that I know of to last longer then 10 years (productively) which is why he made my top 10 assholes lol but he was a freak of nature.

so what do u think? will it or will it not be brokin?
    test
  2. |-paragon-|

|-paragon-| The Phoenix

yes.. by barry sanders jr. woooo! nah but really.. anythingz possible.
    test
  3. hYpOconDriAdIcT

i just cant see anyone doin it
    test
  4. Cane

Cane New Member

Like most records it will take a ton of talent but also a ton of luck. Luck to never get hurt for an extended period and automatically knock you out of the running, luck to make sure you get a good team around you for more or less your whole career or you're screwed and be on a running team. Regardless of the argument on whether or not Emmitt's oline fizzled out later, he would've never set one record playing for the 08 Cardinals. Just like Rice combined longevity, talent and the dumb luck to be able to play on those Niner teams he did.

LT will beat his record for rushing TDs, that I'd bet on. He just needs to average 10 over 4 more years and if he managed to get 12-15 in one of those seasons that just makes the others easier.That's not impossible playing in the division he does where he might get anywhere from 2-6 free ones from the Raiders alone. As far as rushing goes, he has to average 1100 yards over the next 6 seasons or 1319 yards over 5 years. That's not even close to impossible and is in fact pretty doable, esp if he just goes nuts one of those seasons for about 1600 yards. Then for the rest of his career he'd have to manager just 850 yards a season for another 6 seasons. Or let's say he goes out this season and has 1450 yards and 1650 before slowing down a little at age what? 32? That's not unrealistic, he's still a starter and it's just a question of his health, which hasn't been bad to this point and his injuries aren't anything he can't comeback from. And word from camp is he's healthy now and looking good. So let's say he does that. That only leaves him 3495 yards from Emmitt. And he'd be 32. Let's say he plays into 35. He'd need to average 1165 yards a season. Or if he plays until 36 he'd need to average 874 yards a season. And I have a feeling the dropoff from a monster season with him wouldn't be a 50% decline in production.

Realistically I think he can do it. It'll just be health stopping him.

What's hurting LT is that he's not had many of those really huge yardage seasons, like some guys have had. He's just been very consistent. Only one season really hit 1800. If he'd turned a couple of those 1100 yard and 1300 yard campaigns into 1800 yard ones he would've really helped himself.

We could also look at Portis, because if he has a couple more 1300-1400 yard seasons this year and the next, he'll actually outpace LT at the same age. With him though it'd very much be a question of health. If he'd stayed in Denver I don't doubt he'd be a healthier back. But if he does stay healthy, he's my bet to beat Emmitt. If he plays to 35, he just has to average 1150 yards a season until he retires, from this day forward. With him, it's only a matter of health. Let's say he goes out and has another 1400 yard season in Washington and a 1300 yard one after that. Not unrealistic at all, in fact pretty realistic and maybe underestimating him. But let's say that's what happens. He'd be 29 years old and if he played to 35 he'd need to only average 1075 yards until he retires. Or if he plays to 34 he'd need 1290 yards per season. Both of those averages go down if he has a couple more 1500 yard seasons too, which by his standards isn't out of the question. But again, it's just his health.

I can't realistically see anyone else other than maybe AP coming close. But AP is too young, we need to wait and see if his high yardage totals continue for at least a couple more seasons. Steven Jackson has a tiny slight chance of doing it but I doubt he could. He'd need to average 1400 yards a season until he's 35.
    test
  5. Cane

Cane New Member

Also, LT may break Rice's all around record for yards from scrimmage. If he plays to 35, which isn't impossible, LT needs to hit 1600 yards a season. That's not impossible, he may get that rushing alone. He could hit 1200/400 for the next 3-4 seasons before we think about his age.
    test
  6. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

LT needs to stay healthy....If he can't..we won't break anything....it still may not happen anyways
    test
  7. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

not likely. the shelf life of a great running back like emmitt isn't usually more than 5 years.
    test
  8. hYpOconDriAdIcT

again I aint sayin emmitts the best... but like others said it was the "perfect storm" of health, skill, teammates, coaching and longevity that got emmitt that record.. its not impossible to break it but it will take a similar set of circumstances which occur usually once every decade or 2.
    test
  9. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

lt rushed for 1100 yds last year

he aint done, he has had 8 straight years of rushin for over 1100 yds

he will do it again this year
    test
  10. Shadow

Shadow Kotaro's Master

I don't see it happening...with the life span of running backs these days...i'm not soo confident it can be done.
    test
  11. Hardkore

Hardkore Blunts@TheBeach

i think adrian will do it if he stops getting injured.

i don't know how the fuck running backs do it. a wide receiver might get tackled 5-6 times in a game but a running back gets hit hard probably between 20-25 times in a game if he's the starter.
    test
  12. McCizoy

McCizoy Retired

Without downgrading Emmitt or anything but the record/number isn't that impressive that it's unreachable or anything. It'll be broken.
    test
  13. hYpOconDriAdIcT

yea when they extend the season again it'll prolly get broken.. but LT aint doin it
    test
  14. SuB zer0

SuB zer0 A.D.R.I.A.N.N.A

i hope not

smith is my nigga

and reason ima dallas fan
    test
  15. j. hammersticks

j. hammersticks 5643

sanders > smith.
    test
  16. hYpOconDriAdIcT