Widescreen vs. Full Screen dvds...

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by mac10, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mac10

mac10 New Member

Which do you prefer?? Unless you own a widescreen tv, why would a person buy a widescreen dvd for a conventional tv?? I own conventional tvs so I'm 100% full screen. I like all 4 corners of my picture screen used. And you actually don't lose that much vision on full screens. More and more dvds are being made widescreen versions only.. like Terminator 1 and 2. There's an ugly rumor that eventually full screen versions is gonna be fazed-out...
    test
  2. Flint Marko

Flint Marko New Member

Fullscreen. I don't own a widescreen tv either and I hate those black bars.
    test
  3. It all depends on the movie. If I'm watching the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, then I want the fucking wide screen version. If I'm sitting down to watch Half Baked or some shit, then definatly full. Specail effects are so much more fun to watch without half of the shot cut from the screen. Having a Sony widesreen definatly makes it more fun, but I'd feel this way with a conventional tube as well...
    test
  4. Esko

Esko Retired M O D

all widescreen....i wont buy a dvd if there isnt widescreen available (they make it but its out of stock) you lose quite a bit of the scene with full screen....some TVs even have a feature where you can expand the image so the black bars on the screen take less space....its still 4:3 aspect ratio but its just noted as Expanded 4:3....there was even a special on how much effect and feel you lose from it....plus if i ever do get a widescreen tv then im all set with all 200 of my DVDs
    test
  5. The Jeus

The Jeus _________

fullscreen cuts off up to 40% of the picture....the only time to get a full screen dvd is if the movie was shot in 1.33x1[like a lot of movies through the 50's]....if it was shot in 1.85x1 or anything else you need widescreen to see the whole picture.

widescreen condenses the picture so the whole thing fits on your regular screen, everything is smaller, but it's all there, whereas fullscreen stretches the picture to fit, so the sides get chopped off. there's a website that explains this, let me see if i can find it.....

found it: http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml
    test
  6. Tequila Jong-il

Tequila Jong-il SALAD TOSSER

I have long been an enemy of widescreen. 4:3 is the aspect ratio of a real /\/igga
    test
  7. ThaDonMakaveli

ThaDonMakaveli New Member

test
  8. OrtizDupri

OrtizDupri then you gotta BREATHE

I NEVER buy full screen.
    test
  9. M-theory

M-theory Saint Esprit

Widescreen.

I don't see why people get so annoyed by the black bars? How do they make it any more annoying than the edges of your television?

I can see why you might get full-screen if your television is really small. But I think a lot of people have a decent sized television these days. Even television channels are starting to show some movies in widescreen format. I think it was last night that I was flipping channels and came across the widescreen of Terminator 2 playing.
    test
  10. DMH.

DMH. The G.O.D.

I don't really care whether I watch widescreen or fullscreen movies but when I buy DVDs I get the fullscreen version.
    test
  11. Hidden_Poetry

Hidden_Poetry New Member

Yep. What he said.

I don't own a dvd in full screen. The quality is just not as good. When you get widescreen you are actually getting the full picture and what it should like. I never liked getting widescreen before. But my brother inlaw explained how it worked (film maker) and now I see the difference. :eek:)
    test
  12. SadistiK1

SadistiK1 Washingtonian

ALWAYS widescreen.... Fullscreen will be obsolete soon
    test
  13. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

always widescreen
    test
  14. !ron HorSe

!ron HorSe New Member

Same shit too me... If you're enjoying the movie you don't worry about it.
    test
  15. straight_evil

straight_evil Mrs. Sole

Widescreen, my Tv's ghetto and cuts off the very top of the screen, so the black bars don't bother me.
    test
  16. -Mac-

-Mac- Registered ABUSER

I don't really pay much attention either way but I don't get why companies just don't put both versions on a disc. I have a few like that. Just makes more sense.
    test
  17. FortiFied Killa

FortiFied Killa New Member

I hate full screen, I want to see the whole shot.
    test
  18. Sho-Down

Sho-Down RockItPro.com

I buy Full Screen DVDS because I like to completely fill up my TV, I cant stand the black bars
    test
  19. the Prince

the Prince New Member

wide screen
    test
  20. kasper

kasper howdy

widescreen owns. even on my 27" regular tv in the extra bedroom, they look fine with the black bars. they dont bother me.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.