why's the sky blue?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Jabba-Jaw, Jan 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jabba-Jaw

Jabba-Jaw Custom User Title

think about it
    test
  2. Mine*State

Mine*State mad cuz im STYLIN on you.

Because god likes blue.

Duh.
    test
  3. Jabba-Jaw

why didnt he make everything blue then?
    test
  4. j deazy

j deazy DAT_NICCA_MOOSE swallows

test
  5. Jabba-Jaw

i didnt check the links but i'm supposing they're about wavelengths of light and diffusion etc

but it still doesnt answer my question.

to put it another way-

why are certain wavelengths certain colours?
    why is blue blue and not red?
    why does a high pitched sound sound high pitched instead of low pitched?

what i'm asking is how does the brain create things that don't physically exist?
    how does the brain turn wavelengths of light into different colours, and movement into sound?
    test
  6. j deazy

j deazy DAT_NICCA_MOOSE swallows

atleast check out the last link... they have gems such as ...

Why Is Metal Shiny?

Metal is shiny so that it will both attract and repel us. When we are out on a weekend spelunking adventure and happen to shine our light around the cavern and see a burst of golden light, we are attracted because we fantasize that we have found the Lost Dutchman mine, baby! We have discovered the mother lode. We can buy and sell Lotto winners and retire to a huge mansion and estate in the Caribbean. We're in the money! We're in the money!

This same shiny metal will repel us, though, if we are out at the Hilton's bar at happy hour and find ourselves flirting with a fox across the room. We are drawn into her eyes and style and come hither glances - until, that is - we see that little shiny band of metal we call gold around her ring finger.

Why is metal shiny, you ask? Well, why do you ask such silly questions? Why are you so curious, George? Why don't you mind your own business?

Metal is shiny because of the gloss molecule that attaches itself to other dense molecules which are non-rock molecules. On a molecular level, metal is shiny because photons reflect in a burst once light energy is applied to its surface. Also the magnetic field causes sparkle photon to burst like popcorn around the metallic object.

Metal is shiny because a day without shine is like - night.

atleast check it out for a laugh... as for your more serious question on the mind and its ability to discern color and sound... my base guess would be that it is an evolutionary trait that better allowed us, along with other animals, to better survive in an enviroment that wasnt a flat plane void of danger... that would be, by far, the most simple explanation... really it is a mixture of time and survival rates that we have the ability... i can tell you that it doesnt hold any resemblance to lemarkian evolution but rather darwinian evolution... from there you would need to move into the combination of the bones in the inner ear and the cones in the eye... the interactions between the cones in the eye and the movement through the neurons would be the reason that we see color... this has become a ramble...

anywho the reason would be a complex series of interactions starting with light hitting the cones in the eye and the cone interacting with the brain... from there you would need to go to serious reading by actual scientists and researchers..
    test
  7. BeEgEe

BeEgEe El Warm Shot

because gods a penn state fan
    test
  8. Leila Night

Leila Night efrain,you're my one&only

Jabba-Jaw, I have been in your mood before where even science and common sense cannot begin to give you answers. What brought on this particular question?

Go do something creatively taxing.
    test
  9. Jabba-Jaw

well...

whenever somebody posed the question, "could a computer/robot ever become so advanced that it has consciousness?", my reply was always NO.

because, i reasoned, that no matter how advanced and intricate a computer could be, at the end of the day it's all a collection of inanimate objects working with each other in the same way that clockwork is. if computers were all made of cogs i dont think anybody would ever pose that question.

but then, humans and all other animals and life are ultimately a large collection of chemicals. i believe that biology and the way organisms behave are all governed by chemical and physical processes. organisms are much like robots.

so despite this view, one thing which always made me wonder is:

how can a collection of molecules, chemicals, cells, neurons, synapses, etc etc; all physical things, come to create something that ISN'T physical??

some people say that the "mind" doesn't exist at all. but colours and sounds and other sensations do, and these are things that do not physically exist.
    test
  10. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

some People also say their Jesus christ reincarnated. Most people who say the mind doesn't exist are retards and CT's.

Not one scientist would say the MIND doesn't exist.
    I mean we know the mind exist or civilization would
    have never progressed.

Hell My minds been contemplating whether I should leave this site or not.
    test
  11. Jabba-Jaw

well when i said "doesnt exist" i meant that the mind is merely a byproduct of neurological activity. i dont know much about the theory but that's what some theorists theorise.

i mean, some people say that we dont even have free will.
    test
  12. menaz

menaz Avant Garde

Those people are religious.

The religious claim - God is ominscience, therefore free-will can't exist.
    which is bullshit.

I understand what you're looking for, You want to know how the Mind works or doesn't work? is it neurological or isn't? Tell me, Once you figure out HOW it does or doesn't work, What will you do with this information?

Is it pointless? or does it help you Understand things better?

I'm all for looking into how things work. But I think all I need to know is "My mind" is working my vessel. And without a my vessel there can be no mind.

Phrase like, Mind over matter, responsibility assumption, come to mind.

I've witnessed some strange things, Like People stabbing themselves with knives and not being hurt.
    test
  13. x - calibur

x - calibur Guest

to be honest, asking why for absolutely everything is a spiral into nonsense.

its ok to explore far out philosophy, but you can advance much more intellectually by building off the few basic assumptions and contructs that almost everyone holds about reality
    test
  14. Jabba-Jaw

so you're basically saying, dont ask questions that nobody knows the answer to or ever even thinks about.

and menaz, the idea that we have no free will is generally held by those who have a reductionist view about psychology- i.e. behaviourism. i imagine these people aren't particularly religious
    test
  15. UnbrokeN

UnbrokeN Well-Known Member

peanuts...there can be no conflict within you on this matter.
    test
  16. snowy

snowy 39k Rap Song Music Folder

lol thanks for that site

When a cat is dropped it always lands on its feet. When buttered toast is dropped it always lands with the buttered side facing down. If a piece of buttered toast was attached to the back of a cat, when dropped, the cat/buttered toast combination should hover, spinning just above the ground, as it tries unsuccessfully to resolve the inevitable conflict of non-scientific certainties.

This in itself might be fun to watch but there is a serious point to be made here... What if giant arrangements of buttered toast cats were linked (probably by their tails) to banks of generators? Perhaps enough electricity could be produced to help resolve the growing world energy crisis.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.