Why was/is the bible so important?

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by lyricalpriest, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GaLaTeA

GaLaTeA Well-Known Member

Are you inferring I would de facto lean on unsubstantiated claims, when giving an opinion?

Honestly, I'm starting to think that some adults are Peter-panning their way through life, clinging to this imaginary friend called "God" in an attempt of trying to suppress and abandon all common sense.
    test
  2. lyricalpriest

lyricalpriest Rap Games Dawson Creek

just b/c u use psuedo-intellect that doesn't make it truth.. nothing fantasy about something obvious as a head ache .. of course if u close ur eyes too it and wish "it would all just go away" you wouldn't witness the truth if it farted in ur face..

if ur interested in this area i'd suggest a earnest attempt at learning and applying this principle to ur life style for a season and see how real it bcomes but if ur not interested.. then how can u assert ur opinion on something u admittedly stated ur not interested iN?
    test
  3. lyricalpriest

God created man with an amazing brain that has a very high level of reasoning power which incorporates common sense. The Lord expects his people to use their brains. Believers must realize that God won't do for someone what that individual can do for himself.
    test
  4. GaLaTeA

(a) Nothing about my intellect is "pseudo".

(b) Not all causes and mechanisms of formation of headaches are known, however what it is known, is that one of the causes of pain can be medically explained with the tension in membranes, which are enveloping the brain, the tension in arteries and scalp muscles or stretching of these structures. You will also note, that headaches can occur as a supporting character or a number of diseases as a result of head injuries. ~ all of this can be de facto substantiated.

(c) Really? I'm not closing my eyes, if anything I'm not having a blurry vision.

(d) So what you're trying to say is, unless I don't conform with the sheep mentality and embrace Peter-panning, I can't be interested in this area?

Are you trolling me, LP?

How does "it" expect you to use your gray mass when you're supposed to be following "it"?
    test
  5. lyricalpriest

ur to hard to reason with...
    test
  6. GaLaTeA

I'd like to think I'm rational, and I like things to be at least partly rational.
    test
  7. patrown

patrown student for life

Were you raped by a priest or something?

I see you .. all over posts in the sanctuary.
    Telling people with faith to not post in threads.
    Why do you feel the need to repeat what we have all heard before?
    You are intelligent, state your point clearly..
    I'm wondering what you have against religion, really.
    (what's wrong with having faith something greater then you is out there?)
    (if people do use it as a crutch, what's so wrong with having a positive crutch?)

Back to the topic..
    I'm no theologian but I do study history in my spare time.
    the bible's God is more forgiving then the hebrew one.., and from what I understand, Islam's higher power is quite brutal.
    If I was to pick a God to hang out with for a few hours, (yah.. w/e, ---)
    I'd go for the friendly one. Accepting converts more readily then Judaism could have had a big impact on it's success since Islam gained popularity at a later time.

edit: I'm reading the bible for the first time in my life starting today.
    Giving it some serious thought, it'd be nice to have a reason to want to be a good person. Umad?
    test
  8. patrown

patrown student for life

I make it a point to read your posts, I've never had a faith, but it's always good to read different perspectives.

Reasoning about specifics is difficult LP. I almost broke up with my girlfriend because she wouldn't answer any questions and just said "ITS JUST THE TRUTH"
    It's enraging when someone tells me I'm wrong and they're right and can't explain it. but, a big part of having faith is accepting the things you can't explain.
    To be able to just, feel the need to be a good person isn't so bad really.
    test
  9. GaLaTeA

I tip my hat to you, with the utmost respect.
    test
  10. Alias3000

Alias3000 Well-Known Member

not true. 99% of all headaches comes from lack of oxygen rich blood to the brain...go figure..lol
    test
  11. GaLaTeA

...paging DR. Ratiko Malodic.
    test
  12. patrown

patrown student for life

they just heavily rely on it.
    The Bible is a moral handbook for an agnostic.
    For some, it's more.
    test
  13. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

"(what's wrong with having faith something greater then you is out there?)
    (if people do use it as a crutch, what's so wrong with having a positive crutch?"

i kno you werent addressing me but id like to state my opinion. you seem like a reasonal guy pat so ill address you as so. there is nothing wrong with having faith there is something greater that us out there. but having faith that the bible is 100% accurate is a problem.

i heard you study history so i would suggest you study the history of how the bible was created, the difference between the old testament and new testament, and who wrote specific parts of the bible because as you might know the bible is actually a collection of dozens of different peoples writings.

as far as the crutch, i look at it in a different way. i have no problem wit most of the MORAL stories the bible tells which i feel is the reason you are so interested in the bible, because you want to be a better person. but the same bible also has a dark side such as eternal torture for being skeptical, gives the ok to kill gays, and says that slavery is ok. this is why personally i hate the bible because PEOPLE TAKE IT LITERALLY. i want you to take some of the bible to be a good fiction read and spiritual uplifting, NOT THE LITERALLY WORD THAT SHOULD NEVER BE QUESTIONED
    test
  14. patrown

patrown student for life

JB, aint nothin wrong with throwin an opinion out there and i appreciate the respect.

I do share your opinion that to take every word of the Bible literally would lead to problems.
    I never forget to take into consideration the time any book was written.
    we didn't .. shoot helicopters out of skys to kill 17 people without knowing what color there eyes are.
    you would need to take a large piece of metal, sharpen it, and hack those 17 people into pieces. spraying blood all over your face, dulling your sword with every bone you cleave. that existence alone doesn't justify giving permission to kill a homosexual.
    Or forcing women into lives they don't want, slavery of any kind can't be justified.
    In those times it was just the way it was.. I can't hold that against the book.
    I can look past it, because I need to understand the message others perceive.

It wouldn't contain so many stories if it wasn't meant to be open to interpretation.

I am going to take your advice and research the Bible , after I have read it.
    Knowing too much about its physical origin will likely give me biased reactions, which I'm already experiencing.

and Galatea, thank you. :) I put my hat on just to tip it right back atcha.
    test
  15. patrown

patrown student for life

.. i had to quote that. just in case someone missed it.
    test
  16. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

You need to believe in blatantly made up fairy tales to be a good person? You can't just...ya know, BE a good person? That's...not good.

Your question, "What do you have against religion, really?" IS however, a pertinent and fair one. I think that will make a thread on that.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.