Why only sticky top battles?

Discussion in 'Site Help & Feedback' started by Laxin, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MindTaker

MindTaker GFY

I don't know if the rating system can affect a thread's position amongst other threads or not but it could help a little bit in just giving a general consensus on how the battle is being viewed.

Another thing that could be done is instead of having the "Do you agree with the judges decision" or "Who won" poll it could be "Should this be a sticky" and then we, the users, could just vote on whether or not a thread should go up with the moderators/admins of course having final say so there aren't any shenanigans.
    test
  2. Iverson_Fan

Iverson_Fan Member

Lol wow, guess you dont KNOW sarcasm...

As far as the topic goes, I can kinda see where Sloss is comin from, but at the same time there are too many whack new comers that shouldnt be stickied. I agree that the top battles will get noticed with or without a sticky, but I like that theyre stickied cause I wouldnt know when half of them were out if they werent up there. Look at someone like Dirt tho, he went from unstickied to stickied pretty quickly, if youre good, youll get the recognition.
    test
  3. teacozy

teacozy New Member

bro, this isn't deep enough to have extra polls for this.
    test
  4. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

The rating system would essentially be the gauge instead of a poll, I would think. Polls for who won are a big part of the discussions of battles so we can't get rid of them all together.

I think it would be better used as a consensus for dope battles than an automatic sticky placement because as much as we'd like to think they are for the best battles there are many guidelines for what should be stickied and not very many spaces available for stickies. There is no way to get around it, the selection process has to be somewhat political.

But like you said, the biggest help people can be towards getting battles that are being overlooked recognition, even without a rating system, is to bump the battles when they fall off the front page. If people also contributed to the discussion on why they thought it was a good battle it would get people interested in checking it out.
    test
  5. Laxin

Laxin ^shitty poster

You got to. Everyone needs to understand that top battles are not going to happen at every event. Give these guys a chance. Give them one or two days on the top page. Comment on the threads as well. Give them advice. Everyone on here is a judge so why not give them tips on shit to improve on. When I see a tryout battle at 100 views it makes me wonder. I keep hearing RM is a tool that has built battling but we don't accept the little people? If I did a try out and no one gave a fuck about it then why would I do another one?

It's time to really look at the standards of battling. I think some people look at these battlers as nobodies and they fall through the cracks.

I see RM as Top 40... if you aint main stream then who the fuck are you. SMH
    test
  6. JaredFromSubway

JaredFromSubway New Member

yo why sticky those battles? its not going to make people watch them...even if a few extra people do watch them, if the battle is fuckin nuts, threads will be made and people will end up watching it. people need to get better at battling lol even some of these battles yall are all "dont sleep! shits fire" and what a surprise, mediocre at best.
    test
  7. Laxin

Laxin ^shitty poster

Shut up and eat a sandwich bitch
    test
  8. roc55555

roc55555 Well-Known Member

test
  9. Laxin

Laxin ^shitty poster

Problem with RM is roc... They make their own rules! If they don't like you're post then they delete it. If you're a new battler then they don't give you the time of day. Sure you get your battle posted but after an hour its on the second page. Maybe a sub forum for new battles is in order. Time to separate the battlers who love to do it from the faggots that make leagues broke.:funny:
    test
  10. JaredFromSubway

Shm I been eating sandwiches hoe u get banned from subway for talkin reckless.

in all honestly tho there are a few battles recently that for sure shoulda been stickied, its def biased on who gets stickied. pretty sure any battle to ever come out of url will get stickied, yet some hilarious rofl battle like uno lavos vs stainless gets like 2 pages and stays on the frnt page for 12 hours.

and then they sticky dizasterz 8 battles a month, every qp battle..and any "top tier" battle no matter the actual quality of the battle. meh, def could be better choices imo.
    test
  11. JaredFromSubway

true, true
    test
  12. Laxin

Laxin ^shitty poster

Question? Has 1 ground zero battle gotten stickied? Has one draft battle gotten stickied? Answer that!
    test
  13. MindTaker

MindTaker GFY

That's not a BAD idea with the subforum but I would be afraid that few people would go in there and those "lower tier" battles would get seen even less if that were done.
    test
  14. JaredFromSubway

I dont watch all of ground zero battles but I dont remember seeing one that was dope on both sides.
    test
  15. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

I can't say I can even disagree with this. With the amount of battles out now, I don't even check many up and coming battles unless I see that people are responding positively to it or there is a lot of discussion about it and I feel many people are the same way. Stickies are very much going to continue to be a radio playlist with bigger names/leagues always getting priority. I can just tell you guys right now that it probably won't change any time soon, so if you are hoping a dope battle from a couple no name battlers from a no name league is going ever replace a spot with 5 battles already stickied of known/top tier mediocre battles that just came out, it's not going to happen. I mean how can you even gauge if a battle that won't get most recognition deserves a spot over a battle that people will check for regardless of how good the battle is? By the 15 replies the battle has?

And regarding The Saurus' comment about quality control, I don't really think that is the purpose and if it is, it's far from the most effective way to do it.

With a rating system or a similar system, people can weigh in their opinions on a battle in a way that is easy for anyone browsing the forum list to see. Stickies and a rating system can co-exist and then you can have the choice of whether to watch a battle based on the suggestion of a handful of people at most or a larger percentage of the forum, if people choose to get involved that is.
    test
  16. MindTaker

MindTaker GFY

I think the main thing to take away from this thread is that the onus is on us as the users to make sure battles that deserve attention get it by requesting they be stuck or by bumping them to the top consistently with discussion about them.
    test
  17. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

Basically.

That and stickies aren't meant as a spot light for dope battles alone.

Going back to Laxin's "top 40" metaphor, stickies aren't supposed to be the underground Hip Hop radio show highlighting dope music that might get slept on, it is for keeping the value and desirability of getting stickied up.

That's why many of the choices have been known names that will get views.
    test
  18. Sloss Littlez

Sloss Littlez KING SLOSS THE BOSS NIGGA

Job let it go. I already bodied ya ratings shit in my post that yall ducking
    test
  19. JobOne

JobOne Man of the Hour

Yeah I guess there isn't any way to prevent people from making multiple accounts to abuse the ratings. Then again, I'm just assuming that the rating system is based per account and not IP address because I really don't know how it works.

I guess the only other thing to do is for people to bump threads that they think deserve attention.

Unless you have a better alternative solution, most lesser known battles will not get a chance to get a sticky, there are just too many battles coming out and known battles are going to get priority, so there isn't a better way for them to get the shine they might deserve than by bumping the threads and discussing them.

The best chance for them to get a sticky is if there is a lull in bigger battles being released. A lesser known battle will probably get a chance to get stickied if it's dope, but it has to be exceptional on both sides, the battles that are stickied would have had to have been up a couple days already where commenting is dying down for it to get removed as well, and it has to be agreed upon my more than just one person saying the battle is dope (mods and posters included). I've seen what gets stickied and it's a rare opportunity for a lesser known battle to get a spot unless it has multiple things going for it. It might not be fair but it's the way it is because we can't sticky every battle or even a majority of them.
    test
  20. JerzisGod

JerzisGod Wavy Jones

Stupid picture, What the fuck jerz?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.