Why One and Not the Other?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by NinjaMic, Jun 25, 2013.

1. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

Exactly. If you can't sell water, put sugar in it. Now people with diabetes are out here tellin' us natural, spring water tastes like shit.
    test
  2. antilluminati

antilluminati Well-Known Member

If ure a graffiti "all out king" you oughta master tags, throwies, burners, blockbusters, trains, characters, productions and more. I sorta feel the same with calling yourself a certified MC, u need to master lyrics and flow on tracks, freestyle and in battles to be complete.

I try and master as many styles as I can as well, experimenting with wildstyle, 3d, 3d wildstyle, organic, semi-wildstyle etc. Would be the same with doing, battlerhymes, personal, clubjoints, bangers, streetraps etc.
    test
  3. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Hip hop was never for the mainstream. The machine can have Drake and Kanye. I'll keep hip hop.
    test
  4. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

You have an extremely fitting moniker, sir.

Nevermind the quality of either Ye or Drake, but if you think the machine has anything to do with either of them, you clearly don't know anything about their stories. They could both be the worst emcees in the world, but you are still factually wrong referring to them that way.

Do you "purists" use any of this faulty ass logic with anything else in your lives? I hope not, I don't imagine you'd be very successful at much of anything.
    test
  5. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

I don't really consider myself a purist, and I don't think my logic is faulty, but I do have an all-around similar modus in life. It doesn't dictate everything I do, I don't always adhere to it, and some things are so far beyond my control that I just have to go with it whether I want to or not...

ex: slavery footprints and sweat shops, human and civil rights, poor > rich, genetically modified crops, maintaining my spirituality and sense of culture but trying to keep it free from mind warping religious doctrine and conformity in general etc... I sometimes root for underdogs and have to keep my thoughts on some issues to myself. I enjoy the idea of simple living, homesteading, minimalism in theory etc.

I'm not a Luddite. I'm pretty big on indie games. Movies? I think movies are one thing I don't have any firm feelings towards. Like hip-hop, I enjoy most everything I see, but I'm not enough of a film auteur or connoisseur to see the line between independent film and hollywood as malicious corporate misappropriation of culture and art empowered by complicit simpletons... but I've also never been in situations where people online are saying Hangover II is the GOAT and Predator is for hipsters and nerds, so there's never really been a need for me to construct any defensive rationale.

Music is an intensely spiritual thing to me and hip-hop is my bastion. So I'm more likely to try and create a ward around it against what appears to be attempts to devalue it's core, identifying traits. Thousands of years of ethnic cleansing and assimilation has historically tried to stamp out sacred, ritualistic rites of music and celebration, in order to lower a given people's cultural resistance to the ideological dominion of more industrial civilizations. The art of rap is a survival skill. This artform needs at least some white blood cells or it won't survive.
    test
  6. Kry

Kry Willie Stylus

I wouldn't consider myself a purist either...I rock to the new cat's shit as long as I think it's dope. If a Drake song is dope, that shit will end up on the ipod. I don't automatically dismiss him becuz he "freestyles" off his blackberry. I understand that type of stuff is generational, and we're just more tolerant of corniness in Hiphop now. I understand that that we're tolerant of rappers wearing dresses and shit becuz the new generation accepts that...but why do we dismiss the roots of Hiphop? All I hear is how bitter old heads are...are we bitter or are we just trying to educate on the roots of this great culture of Hiphop? Like there was a post on here a few weeks ago about most influential figures in Hiphop history...I was the only one to mention Kool Herc. The fucking guy invented Hiphop yet got no recognition of that, and that's unacceptable. I wasn't around when Herc started shit, but I know the history cuz I wanted to learn it and respected it's roots. Now I see cats claiming shit like Pac was overrated, Illmatic is overrated, KRS One was wack...all while praising the likes of Drake, Weezy, French Montana, etc. We praise cats like Wocka Flocka Flame for his "hustle" while he repeatedly shits on the essence of Hiphop in interviews. Dude blatantly says he don't give a fuck about hiphop or lyrics, cuz he does shows and gets paid. French Montana's album flopped, but he was defended becuz "he still got money, he does madd shows". It's obvious that Hiphop's integrity has taken a hit and lost it's balance, and if young cats wanna call me bitter for having a stance against that, then so be it. I got to grow up in a great era of Hiphop and I'm proud of that so I will always defend the way it was and what made it great.
    test
  7. Im Technical

Im Technical I got 30 pages of rhymes

Ninja stop wasting proper replies on nightmare, hes so deluded its just not worth it.

Do you also have no standards or principals in the rest of your life?

Are you so soft that you cant deal with even the tiniest bit of rawness?
    test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Hip hop wasn't made for the mainstream... that's why it's coded in slang... that's why it was constructed the way it was... it's a folk art... it's tribal music... its very nature has always been anti-establishment... all 4 elements... sorry you don't understand that.
    test
  9. NightmareEx

NightmareEx The Beast

You clearly don't understand what hip hop really is, Ignorant.

Hip hop is an expression of self. The pioneers/originators of hip hop were of a certain background/lifestyle so they crafted their self expression around their experiences. You listen to any of the pioneers and early architects and they unanimously agree that hip hop was MEANT to be able to be translated to every man's expression. That it's very essence makes it capable of traveling the globe, and spread to all walks of life which it has.

Putting hip hop in these little convenient boxes does it no favors.
    test
  10. NinjaMic

NinjaMic Brian Disease

If you're not using hip-hop to express yourself you're not proliferating hip-hop. You're just expressing yourself.

If you're using hip-hop to express yourself poorly, you're proliferating weak hip-hop rather than strong hip-hop. It's like planting poisonous weeds that kill edible plants.

...but let's talk about how valuable different perspectives really are. I would love to hear from someone with values and powerful experiences that better the world for being shared, and humanized through the evidence of intelligence and soul... from every region and beautiful culture on the earth. Introspection and cerebral excellence, or at least striving towards it, are perspectives of merit.

However, if say... a condemning 1 percenter like Mitt Romney used hip-hop to express his views, no amount of orthodox rap methodology, technique, skill or musical capability, would make it hip-hop or good for hip-hop. That's poison. That's anti-hip hop. That contribution is inherently malignant, malicious and undesirable. To do that without admirable execution is even worse.

Between the righteous and the reprehensible there exists infinite shades of grey. Perspective and expressions that are wholly narcissistic, materialistic, malformed, and arrogantly lackadaisical exhibit no virtue. The expression of such void states of being display contempt for hip-hop rather than reverence for it as a medium, and create redundancies and paradoxes that can not further hip-hop's ends... only stifle or reverse them.
    test