Why must catholics......

Discussion in 'The Sanctuary' started by TheBigPayback, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBigPayback

TheBigPayback God Particle

Have such gruesome statues and things. Is it nessicary to deliver the message?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like as if he hadnt eaten in years. And it says he was unrecognizable as a human being. Beaten literally to a pulp. So its not even an acurate portrayal. They even get the nail placements wrong. That has significance metephorically in the bible.
    My question is 'so then why...'

This is of too much prominance in the catholic church for to not have meaning.
    There are
    test
  2. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

catholicism was the original reason i started to question organized religion...

and to answer your question its dramatic. To envoke feelings.

and if these things happened to jesus, why hide the truth? in real life i bet it was even more gruesome
    test
  3. TheBigPayback

Right but so why depict him like a homeless dude. Jesus was very well off. So much so that the gaurds gambled over his under garments because they didnt want to rip them. Why cus they were high quality.

Judas was the treasurer. They had money to the point that jesus knew judas (his treasurer) stole money all the time and they still had more than enough.
    test
  4. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

they depict him as homeless?

Ive never heard he had house, but at the same time ive never heard catholics say he was homeless.

and if you just mean he looks homeless... well after some savage beatings and torture you wouldnt look to clean cut yourself.
    test
  5. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

as a former catholic i never saw statues like these. id say the story itself delivers the same message. would people have prasied jesus if he just got shot or some?

i think the passion of christ is way more graphic
    test
  6. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

^^than real life?

i bet real life was just as horrible if not worse.....
    test
  7. Jay Bee

Jay Bee Boricua

of course real life is more gruesome, i was speaking as he was, in terms of ways people choose to remake the image
    test
  8. TheBigPayback

Well there wasnt an inch of his body not ravaged by scouraging.

Crucifixion was a horrible way to die. The pain was so intense that the Romans had to invent a new word to describe it—excruciating, meaning literally "from thecross."

The true horror of what Christ endured is revealed in prophecies of His suffering and death written centuries before these events unfolded. One indication of the extent of this brutality is found in a verse cited in the New Testament, Isaiah 53:5: "And by His stripes we are healed." For "stripes," the New King James Version margin has "blows that cut in."

The people of Jesus' day could envision suchcutting blowsmuch more readilythan we can today without such depictions as that in The Passion . Another indication of the violence Jesus suffered is found in Isaiah 50:6: "I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting" (New International Version).

Another prophecy in Isaiah 52:14 is even more graphic: "His form, disfigured, lost all human likeness; his appearance [was] so changed heno longerlooked likea man" (Revised English Bible). Do you grasp what this prophecy of Jesus' suffering is telling us? It says that He was so badly beaten, so bloodied and maimed, that He was virtually unrecognizable as a human being.

Another sobering prophecy of His suffering and crucifixion isfound in Psalm 22:14-17: "... All my bones are out of joint. My heart ... has melted away within me. My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth; you lay me in the dust of death ... they have pierced my hands and my feet. I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me" (New International Version).

This prophecy describes the Messiah's body wracked in pain from having His bones pulled out of joint, the extreme thirst resulting from massive blood loss, the agony of having iron nails pounded through His hands and feet and the awful shock of seeing His own bones exposed where the scourging ripped away His flesh.
    test
  9. Sir Bustalot

Sir Bustalot I am Jesus

ok so what are you wondering again?

or was this thread a set up just so you could post all that?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.