Why is Hostel even noteworthy? It was an outright flop.

Discussion in 'Movies, Entertainment & Various Music Genres' started by Look im Gangsta, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

It was hyped up by the media before hand. You couldn't go a day with out seeing some reference to it as back as 6 months before it's release in theaters. Some how, it matched the hype with the general public and consequently people still wont shut up about it.

If someone gets a paper cut at college, it's ''Ow, you seen Hostel?''. If one of the lads goes to the toilet and see's his birds period blood still in the pan, it's ''Ow, you seen Hostel?''. If some one gets a nose bleed in practice it's ''Ow shit, I've been drilled!''.

Now, I think as clee-fucking-shay as the plot is, it's actually a good take on the ''Poor American post grad/family get lost in Eastern Europe/Deep American South'' plot. Sadly the screen play was devoid of the needed cheesey one liners and idiotic moments that have even stiff, white Americans, shouting at the screen - to make it work. It was just boring.

The much heralded 'gore' is what miffed me. There's more outright and provocative gore in House of Wax. I didn't see the Hostel 'Directors cut' but I am pretty sure I'm not missing much in the extra camera shot of that dude getting his digits cut off.

What really makes me get hard, is that 'Hostel' and 'The Hills have Eyes' were released within months of each other (to my understanding). I love gory films and as Liberal (no homo) as I am, I felt 'The Hills have Eyes' was actually bordering the line between 'OK' and 'Ok this might be too much'.

Same cliche plot and characters, but it had better action, better acting and just a better all round execution. I emotionally tired through watching that. From the rape, to the surviving father to the dude from Monk getting Burger King'd on that tree. It was just simply, for all intents and purposes, the far better film.

But it doesn't have the name 'Tarrintino' scrawled on the cover, so...
    test
  2. I thought it was entertaining. I bootlegged this DVD, so I didn't feel ripped off or anything though. Definatly not a spectacular effort, but entertaining.
    test
  3. Mr ExZ

Mr ExZ evolved

haha neither does hostel, it was directed by Eli Roth

and people still talk about this movie?
    test
  4. SadistiK1

SadistiK1 Washingtonian

This movie was fuckin terrible. Eli Roth is an obnoxious prick with way more arrogance than skill. Hes popular by association with Tarantino. I cant stand his movies, and this is coming from somebody with 100s of slasher movie and gore flick dvds.
    test
  5. Look im Gangsta

Look im Gangsta New Member

Errr, yes it does.

You uppidy twat.
    test
  6. Conceited One

Conceited One Please Say The Baby

I finally got to see this last night...didn't particularly care for it...
    test
  7. Murder Ink

Murder Ink Jigsaw

it blows, it's just nasty really, not scary at all, stupid plot, just nasty shit happens, 2 thumbs down*
    test
  8. Syza Koza

Syza Koza New Member

The Hills have eyes was terrible.. absolutely shockingly bad.

Hostel was pk, and average film, average plot, i didn't like it much and won't watch it again.

Haute Tension > Hills have eyes, from the same director.
    test
  9. ExodusIII

ExodusIII New Member

hostel was very average...there was nothing in the plot that kept your attention really...they built up the suspense but it was just a poorly developed plot... very very average movie...the gore is really what made this movie somewhat watchable...the fact that the gore scenes were so intense...it was like a couple of really gory i-cant-watch but i-cant-help-watching scenes...wedged into a mediocre storyline

very forgettable movie
    test
  10. taf_

taf_ New Member

movie was gangsta. u guys are bad critics
    test
  11. SevenEightOne

SevenEightOne New Member

hostel was awesome. wtf is wrong with you people?
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.