Why is college so expensive?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Radium, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Radium

Radium f k

can somebody explain why college is so expensive
    test
  2. DP Banned?

DP Banned? New Member

Government wants people to join the military.
    test
  3. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Does everybody need to go to college? Can't you get good job training from vocational and technical schools which I assume are cheaper than college.
    test
  4. Radium

Radium f k

um yes...

that doesnt answer why colleges cost so much money. my question is

is the cost necessary

I don't think it is

and by keeping the cost unnecessarily expensive

people who come from families without much money get completely frozen out of the option for (and even the idea) of college and people who come from families with money grow up with that option always there (and firmly embedded in their minds)

creating two separate groups of people...

firmly separated by...

the unnecessarily high price of higher learning; the very thing that people must go through in order to improve their lots in life.

do you think this is right?
    test
  5. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Before someone goes to college they need to first decide on what type of career they're interested in and find out if college is actually necessary for it.
    test
  6. Radium

Radium f k

I dont see how that is relevant to this
    test
  7. Offbeat

Offbeat New Member

they have to pay teachers, coaches

run athletic programs, build buildings, provide services...

lot of overhead
    test
  8. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

How much does it cost in America? And do you get support?

It's expensive here, but you do get support to make it at least a possibility for people without a lot of money. A 3 year degree will cost almost £10,000 (roughly $20,000) and most postgraduate courses will cost the same again. However, you can get a student loan which pays the fees while you're at university and you don't have to start paying it back (in small installments) until you're earning £15,000 a year. The interest rate is only around the rate of inflation. If your parents earn under a certain amount combined (£37,000 I think) then you also get a grant (at least a £1,000 a year I think).

So yeah, it's expensive... but I think if you've got the need/desire to get a degree then it's just about possible for most people.
    test
  9. Radium

Radium f k

Riz yeah

but that doesnt explain why it must be so expensive. Do you think its fair to be paying as much as you do? Or do you feel like they could be providing the same service at a more efficient cost?
    test
  10. Riz

Riz Well-Known Member

I haven't got a clue why it's so expensive... Rich is right about the stuff they pay out, but I'm almost certain it's not THAT much. And then when you factor in that more people go to college now, you would think that the cost would go down if anything.

Personally, I feel it is too expensive and doesn't really offer value for money. I see it more as a means to an end that will eventually outweigh the stupid amounts of money I'm paying now. I also agree that it restricts who can attent based on who can afford it rather than who is good enough.

How much does it cost in America generally? I've always wondered..
    test
  11. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

What part of my first comment was this in response to? If it was in response to me asking if everybody needs to go to college then that's what my article was about.

Anyway here's an answer to your question about why college is so expensive:

test
  12. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Here's something that touches on the aid thing mentioned in the CNN article. Does anyone know how accurate this view is?

test
  13. ThisMiss

ThisMiss Guest

Pshhh hell if I know...but I'm gonna have about $400,000 of student loans when I graduate...
    test
  14. Radium

Radium f k

Crates both excerpts you posted present that financial aid is the reason why college is so expensive but go no further to explain why (actually both excerpts are saying the same thing but with different wording I'm not sure why you felt you needed to post both)

since you've clearly already read through both articles you should be able to with no trouble post what parts explain just why financial aid is a cause of the college price tag and what percentage of losses taken from financial aid grants and loans makes up that total cost.

I would imagine not much.

In fact, I doubt that argument is really true as loans are paid back and grants are supplied by the government (tax payers) not the colleges themselves. It doesn't follow that this would increase the cost of tuition.

but since you've read both articles you should be able to easily find where it disproves what I just said.
    test
  15. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

^
    The second link elaborated on the first CNN MONEY link that's why I posted it.

That first CNN link mentioned aid as one of the factors contributing to higher college costs but it didn't elaborate. The second Cato link mentions college being more expensive because gov't aid had helped to create a bigger demand for college so whenever their is a big demand for something it becomes more expensive.
    test
  16. Radium

Radium f k

That explanation doesn't answer how the colleges are somehow losing money by more people now attending college.

Like Riz was saying, I would imagine the colleges would be making more money not losing more money. as more students = more people paying for tuition and other services

so you must be saying that this money is not enough to cover the drain that more students put on the school's resources.

and if you are saying that

then you would have to show just why the very high price of their tuition can't balance out the impact of more students on its own. could it be that the college is allocating that money to places it shouldn't really be going? they thereby are forced to hike up the cost of tuition even further so as to take no hit themselves in their own pockets?

but I still doubt what you're presenting is even true since you've been unable to provide anything to back it up. the increase of students attending would have to be very dramatic to warrant an increase in price since an increase in students itself adds a tremendous amount of money to the college simply on its own.
    test
  17. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

^
    Take note of the section on financial aid. There must be some truth to this since I've already seen several articles linking high college tuition to financial aid.

test
  18. Sun Zoo

Sun Zoo Speech is my Hammer

the best colleges all have good enough financial aid that you could essentially go free if your grades are good enough to get in.

so, stop whining and start studying harder.
    test
  19. Tequila Jong-il

Tequila Jong-il SALAD TOSSER

The main reason is that they use a teaching model that is 100's of years old. Even if they want to retain lecture style teaching there is no good reason why these lectures couldnt be broadcast over the internet and have students study remotely. This would obviously improve the ratio of labour/site costs to number of students which could be reflected in student fees. More colleges are starting to offer things like this but its still pretty slow going.

One reason its so slow is that universities dont have much incentive to change how they work or to lower their fees. They dont face much competition for students since the accreditation process keeps the number of degree granting institutions pretty low relative to the numbers who would like to study.
    test
  20. TheReturn

TheReturn Life of the Party

Except that with increased enrollment comes a need for more dorm capacity, more parking areas, larger classrooms, more teacher salaries, athletic facilities are upgraded, normal buildings are upgraded, entirely new buildings and features are built, etc.

I mean say a school increases it's enrollment by 1,000 students in one year (seems like a large number to me), and for a public university say they pay a tuition of 4,500 dollars (a little higher than public universities here like UT Knoxville and U of Memphis) That's only 4.5 million in income for the year, and the new Student Center going in at U of M is a 20 million dollar project, not counting the demolition and sitework that was done a few years ago to prepare for it.

With schools like Harvard or Vanderbilt where tuition is something insane like 50,000 per year, only the people who expect to make that back pretty quickly and are ready to work their ass off to get that medical or law degree are ready to pay that much for school. It's not like student loans aren't available if the grades are high enough. It may be rough paying it back, but if the success is worth it, there's no reason why someone who works at it can't make it.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.