Why dont people believe in 20-30 lb weight cuts?

Discussion in 'MMA, Boxing & Other Combat Sports' started by 1234gfret5, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1234gfret5

1234gfret5 Bitch Suck my 12 Inch

People on sherdog always say shit like:

LOL u r a faggot brah.. u actually believe someone can gain 25 pounds of weight in one day after the weigh-ins??

For instance GSP, weigh in at 170.. claims he weighs in at 195~ during fight night.

1 Gallon of water= 8 pounds

And Im willing to bet these fighters flush their systems with laxatives in addition to losing all the water weight.

Once your body is starving for water, as soon as u begin drinking water again.. the water will stay, and add a couple meals... 25 pounds doesnt sound too hard.
    test
  2. Ben Official

Ben Official Active Member

I don't know if you've ever cut weight before.. But its WAYYYharder than it seems. There are a few that claim to be able to cut that much. It has got to be extremely grueling. Its horrible for your body. 10 pounds is tough 20 is rough as FUCK.. 30 is insane. After you cut its not like you can just go chug a gallon of water and eat and be good. You gotta sip water very slowly or else you'll puke it up. It takes a lot out of you and is really, really hard on a lot of people.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  3. 1234gfret5

1234gfret5 Bitch Suck my 12 Inch

Im not saying they cut 30 pounds one day and gain it back in one day..

they are probably close to their weigh-in weight on the weigh in days.. then they cut like 10 pounds and flush their systems with laxatives the day before or w/e

idk.. i did wrestling in igh schol for awhile and I gained 10 lbs in one day just chugging water and eating a lot of apples.

edit: also one time i took some laxtive (forgot the name think it was called "fleet" though) and i shit out 12 pounds that day lol.
    test
  4. Wanderlei Sabba

Wanderlei Sabba The Strats Murderer

Yeah, some people like wrestlers that have done it a lot are better at cutting weight than others. Did you see how Coleman and Vera gassed after their first attempts?
    test
  5. Cognitive D.K

Cognitive D.K New Member

ugh... cutting more than 10 lbs in a day or 2 is insane, your body isnt prepared for that kinda thing

ive heard too many excuses about guys losing and claiming they cant compete in that weight div because its too much weight to lose

i understand theres an advantage to being leaner or lighter but theres a point where it turns into a disadvantage
    test
  6. jayoo

jayoo new york representative

i agree 100% but have you seen thiago alves on insideMMA?? they asked him what he walks around at, he said 200-205lbs when hes not fighting

he says he does 30 meters of biking and 2 minutes of sauna and he was at weight, 35lbs lost, bas rutten was amazed
    test
  7. thaRooster

thaRooster hahahahahhaha NO!

alves supposedly walks around at 200. the way i see it is if you can do it and make the weight theres nothing wrong with it. its hard as fuck to cut weight like that so if you can do it more power to ya.
    test
  8. ScimonomicS

ScimonomicS New Member

can't be healthy in the long run though
    test
  9. Odysseus

Odysseus a marvelous muthafucka

Some guys are naturally gifted at weight cutting. I'm surprised how well some fighters can perform after cutting so much weight. I see it as an attribute, just like speed or strength.
    test
  10. Wanderlei Sabba

I think it's really just practice makes perfect. Anderson's been cutting for years and he seems to do okay with it. Meanwhile, I'm worried about Wanderlei at 185 because he's only a couple of pounds over 205 and I think it's his first real experience cutting.
    test
  11. Wanderlei Sabba

Cro cop claims that he can't make 205.
    test
  12. WhiteWidow

WhiteWidow how u luv dat?

i cant imagine how hard it must be. some guys got it in em some guys dont
    test
  13. ProFane

ProFane dB's Finest

The thing is people dont really understand walking weight and what cutting consist of. its always arguing over different things. I'll use Ben Saunders because he's the only fighter i've ever seen before a cut. one day dude stepped on the scale and was 187. i remember that because we made stupid jokes about killah Bee and 187 blah blah blah. But the point is no one considers Ben to be a huge WW but 190 pounds isnt much smaller then 200. if Ben didnt stay in such good shape in between fights he'd weigh 200 pounds but no one really think much of it. Now i've stood next to Alves and trust me the guy is very big. im surprised as fuck that he can get to 170. he is built like a big MW no lie.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.