Why Don't More Blacks Own Businesses?

Discussion in 'IntroSpectrum' started by Crates, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

[youtube]8PcBm64rjMM&feature=related[/youtube]
    test
  2. Krooked*k

Krooked*k That's Krook to you

Cause many young blacks arent familiar with ways to establish a licensed business. However theres probably more blacks that are self employed than any other race.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  3. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Could you elaborate? What are the numbers on that?
    test
  4. RapCritik

RapCritik New Member

Crates....PimpHand is talking about other pimps like himself...they are all self-employed.

PH is probably a white suburbanite tho, thinking all blacks are either 50 cent or Katt Williams.
    test
  5. Krooked*k

Naw im saying as far as licenced biz. Id say of all sales of some sort is prob the main biz for most male blks
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  6. Krooked*k

dominican actually. And im talking about any self employed black from a table at a swapmeet to bootleg dvds to ya actually a pimp could work too in the arguement as well. But either way accredited or not it is still a business. An my point is blacks have much more i feel like than most other races contrary to the thread starters opinion.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    test
  7. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

Everybody can't do everything.

One of the biggest myths is the phrase we tell children, "you can do anything that want to do."

There are quite a bit of black businesses already. I think blacks should start owning more banks. More real estate. More media outlets like radio and television. More schools.

But if I want to, I can go to a black doctor, engineer, accountant, lawyer, etc. anytime that I want.
    test
  8. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Let's keep in mind that Black spending power is close to $1 trillion. So why so much Black poverty?? That's plenty of money to make many Black owned businesses profitable while those businesses provide jobs for Blacks reducing Black poverty.

The problem is that it seems that most businesses in Black areas are owned by non Blacks who take those dollars back to their communities where they circulate empowering their communities financially. If the Black dollar is to circulate more than once among Blacks then it will require more Blacks to own more businesses in their own area. How many Black owned gas stations and grocery stores have you seen in a Black area?? In part 4 Dr. Anderson pointed out how even though Detroit is majority Black most of the gas stations,grocery stores and other businesses were owned by non Blacks. So who's really benefiting from that $1 trillion in Black spending power?
    test
  9. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

This probably hasn't changed much as far as the point he's making:

" If you go by the numbers,assimilation in the 1960's was a smashing success. From 1965 to 1969,the percentage of Blacks making less than $3,000 decreased,while the percentage of blacks earining over $10,000 increased to 28%. In 1965,10% of all young blacks were in college;six years later that figure was 18%. By 1972, 2,264 blacks served as elected officials,the highest number in American history at that time.The total annual income of black America was $100 billion.

At the same time though,the amount of that income reinvested in black communities was minuscule,and most of that college-trained talent became workers in established white businesses,not independent entrepreneurs.

Moreover,many of the economic gains were being created by government intervention and monitoring. Blacks were not then,growing into an independent economic force,but were becoming an increasingly lucrative market for white-provided commodities. "

Nelson George,from The Death Of Rhythm And Blues
    test
  10. RapCritik

RapCritik New Member

You can't be black and own a business in a poor black community. You won't be respected as a business person trying to make a profit. Nevermind that you're keeping the dollars local. No, what needs to be done is blacks need to own businesses in other communities and bring the money back. shoot I'm smart I should be some kind of consultant.
    test
  11. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

What have you seen or heard that brought you to that view?
    test
  12. RapCritik

RapCritik New Member

Because if you don't give on credit or sell at Wal-Mart prices people will be angry with you. You're black and supposed to understand their situation and do favors.

Meanwhile, the same black customers will more willingly pay the Korean'a or the Jew's prices without expecting a handout.
    test
  13. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

^

Yeah I figured that's where you were comming from. I've heard something similar from some Black business owners. Anyway I'd be curious to hear from some Black store owners and other businesses owners that have been successful operating in Black areas to see what their approaches were for being successful in Black areas.
    test
  14. Crates

Crates Well-Known Member

Here's what I think is the root cause of this lack of business with Black-Americans.

Since the 60's and 70's Blacks for whatever reason made wealth redistribution through government programs a big part of the civil rights agenda in order to reduce poverty. The problem with this is that it seemed to cause Blacks as a group to de-emphasize the need to reduce poverty through wealth creation approaches like entreprenurship and how we invest and manage our money. The thinking seemed to be back then was that the government could simply redistribute everyone out of poverty through programs. This mentality is still with Blacks today. But the problem today is that the government is having less tax dollars for various government programs because of America's changing demographics(78 million retiring baby boomers for example). Anyway because of this lack of tax revenue for various government programs Blacks will definitly have to put more emphasis on business ownership and financial literacy as the primary way for us to reduce poverty in our areas.
    test
  15. barnizzle

barnizzle HIP HOP

mental poison is why....

thanks to a clearly constructed agenda
    test
  16. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem Neos Helios

God, shut the fuck up.
    test
  17. barnizzle

barnizzle HIP HOP

test
  18. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

Because of the culture, and feeling the need to spend money on hoes and clothes ie shit that aren't considered assets or good investments.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.