Why did Eric B. and Rakim split up?

Discussion in 'Hip-Hop Central' started by Headcase, Mar 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headcase

Headcase Member

I was always curious as to why this was but I never really found an answer ... I know EB&R released 4 albums together, and then Ra went out on his own... what was it that made them split up?
    test
  2. Mel Man

Mel Man Wat ya'll bout to witness

After 'Don't Sweat the Technique', their contract with MCA was up and both of them wanted to do there solo thing..
    test
  3. Headcase

Headcase Member

Oh okay, I had assumed that their might've been some bad blood between the two after they split (because of Rakim saying "No I ain't down with Eric B no more" on "The 18th Letter") but I guess that isn't the case.
    test
  4. Purple Haze

Purple Haze pop warner hof

Because Eric B beats were garbo.
    test
  5. Cornrow Wallace

Cornrow Wallace New Member

Didnt Rakim say that Eric B never did shit, but like 1 beat on every album? Rakim handled almost everything..or something like that. I dont know.
    test
  6. Headcase

Headcase Member

I had heard about that true, but I didn't know if it was true or not...
    test
  7. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

Bad blood. I hear that Eric B is the only person who has ever dissed Rakim on wax, on a shitty solo album that nobody heard about.
    test
  8. TheNotoryousOne

TheNotoryousOne Grown Ass Man

^^^
    Funny you brought that up. I saw an Eric B cd in the used section of FYE today when I was in there and I was wondering what it was. I don't even remember him ever releasing a solo cd.
    test
  9. Tha Cunnysmythe

Tha Cunnysmythe Unsavoury Negroid

I was sure that somebody would come in and tell me I was full of shit. Pleasant surprise.

I think it was released shortly after the split, but I don't know anything about it.
    test
  10. Headcase

Headcase Member

Perhaps this'll clear it up. From Wikipedia:

"Their last album together was Don't Sweat The Technique (1992 in music). During the recording of that album, both members of the duo expressed an interest in creating solo albums. However, Eric B. refused to sign the label's release contract, fearful that Rakim would abandon him. This led to a long and messy court battle, between the two musicians, plus their ex-label MCA.

Eric B. has begun a solo career on his own 95th Street Records label, as well as serving on various production teams (including working with Dr. Dre for a brief period)."

Also, is the stuff about Rakim ghost producing all the songs true? And when did this info come out?
    test
  11. Blemickis

Blemickis I get computers puting

didn't Marly Marl do a lot of the production?
    test
  12. Syza Koza

Syza Koza New Member

^yes, that was the rumour.
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.