Why College Players Should Stay Longer

Discussion in 'Sports Central' started by Crates, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pistol Petee

Pistol Petee Pussy Eater

dont them baseball players be getting drafted at 18 sometimes...i agree
    test
  2. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

yea but they usually still play college ball then the minors before they get to see time in the big show.
    test
  3. Fantom

Fantom :ihadadream:

there are 15-16 year old pro tennis players...

golf... shit, soccer...

they just dont wanna see young niggas shining too soon...
    test
  4. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

college is the logical stepping stone to the NBA. If they were good in college it's a stronger possibility that will translate to the pros than if a player went straight from highschool. High school competition is inferior, chances are the team only had one good player therefore stats can be inflated, and college instills the discipline, strategy of the game, and knowledge of the game that a great majority of HS players lack. Thats why for every LBJ, KG, Jermaine Oneal, and Kobe there's the Johnathan Benders, Kwame Browns, telfairs etc. ya know the scrubs that don't make it. And it was turning out that it was far more scrubs than actual stars and too many teams weren't getting returns on their investments...dropping millions of dollars on bench warmers.

College gives a better evaluation of how the player performs under pressure and against good players in game time situations and how they perform as a teammate. Plus very few (count on one hand) HS player's bodies are ready for the league.

But hey if they say you're a lottery pick, make that jump fuck it.

as far as the other sports..its cuz we really don't care about those sports and because there isn't a lot of physical contact with grown people.
    Baseball? they had the argument, blacks don't really play baseball anymore plus its very rare that an 18 year old will actually play on a MLB team, usually have to go to college or the minors first before they get called up. they'll be like 26 years old and a rookie.
    Soccer...don't care...we don't really do soccer in the US. Golf....nah...only reason it's interesting now is because of Tiger Woods...nobody likes golf.
    Tennis is more accessible, watchable and exciting...but again don't really care...the Williams Sisters, Agassi, Sampras, Roddick, Federer, Nadal...Ill watch it if it's on but otherwise no.
    test
  5. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

It's still early for Durant... you guys act like it's normal to win the NBA Finals within 3-4 years of gettin' drafted... it's not... Wade was fortunate... but look at Lebron James, who is arguably a better player... he hasn't won it yet... and it's no guarantee he will win one with Cleveland, although they're a good team... what if Kobe never played with Shaq?? We might be still talking about why he hasn't won one yet.
    test
  6. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

This argument against players going early to the NFL/NBA existed way before you. So it's not a direct indictment against you personally. And just because we have a black president doesn't meant that racism no longer exist. I can't pull the race card since it was already pulled and never put back into the deck ever since 'race' was invented. Once again, I'm not calling you a racist. I just find it funny that people always object to athletes going early to those two leagues more than any other league.
    test
  7. SeeSon

SeeSon New Member

You would have been right in the 1980s but with AAU ball scouts get a very accurate assessment of a high school player's ability. Take for example this year's projected lottery, Greg Monroe is projected to go in the top 3. I don't think its a coincidence that he was also the number one rated prospect as a result of his performance on the AAU circuit. For the most part, staying in school does nothing but give scouts a chance to find little things to knock about your game and look for someone younger with potential. Go as soon as you are a lotto pick imo.
    test
  8. Ignorant

Ignorant Village Idiot

I hear ya... but has college been turning out a lot of instant stars these days? A lot of the current stars in the league are straight-from-high schoolers or one year college players... where are the 4 year college stars in the NBA?? Tim Duncan is the biggest one I can recall... and the other stars are European players. I mean, look at them... Kobe, LBJ, KG, O'Neal, TMac, Durant, Oden, Rose, Wade, Shaq, Rasheed Wallace, Vince Carter, A.I., etc... none of those guys finished even 3 years of college.

I'll give you the revenue factor... that's why I say it's about money... and race... blacks aren't commanding HUGE salaries in those other sports... they hardly play those other sports... maybe it isn't race all that much as it is a class issue... hence, the NBA fashion rule... white America doesn't like to see RICH black "thugs"... but Tiger Woods is okay... Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan were okay... all those tattoos and gold chains and baggy pants are NOT... I can't tell you the number of middle aged white men I meet who absolutely cannot stand the NBA because they say it's full of "thugs"... now look at Chad Johnson bringing gold teeth to the NFL... oh boy!

As for the physical contact argument, I never heard that before... I've heard the money management arguement, though... "they're too young to understand the business of making money"... "they're too immature to deal with the fast pace grind of going from city to city"... wtf? Why are those issues? That's why I say it all goes back to money and image.
    test
  9. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

exactly. he should've stayed in college. i gurantee you texas would have won the championship with durant. not only would that have boosted his stock, it would be more of an accomplishment than being the leading scorer on the oklahoma city thunder/seattle sonics.
    test
  10. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

when they moved in the fences the need for athleticism in outfielders went out the window. now they just throw steroid monsters out in left and right field and they really don't need to be very athletic as long as they can swing a bat ie manny ramirez, barry bonds, jose conseco. because athleticism in baseball is needed less there's more white people who can compete.
    test
  11. Mask2MyFace2

Mask2MyFace2 Controversial

most of them went to college though...I'm not suggesting go for all 4 years cuz that's just not smart especially if you are a lotto pick. I'm just saying college players games are better prepared for the NBA.

Look at how long it took Kobe, KG, TMAC, J. Oneal etc. to actually become really good players. Those 2 or 3 years spent riding pine could have been spent doing the college thing (from a team's perspective not the players). LBJ is the exception to every rule ever created cuz his shit just dont make any sense.

But you look at players like Wade, Tim Duncan, Chris Paul, even Derrick Rose who only had a few years of college come out and be prepared to carry a team or lead them into playoffs etc. It makes it less of a guessing game.

Physicality of the game is an issue which is why in the NFL u can't go until you've had two years of college. Zero percent of football players are ready at 18...u will get injured. Basketball not as much but then again in HS you are probably the biggest person on the team (if they are thinking about drafting in the NBA)...a lot of players find out they just can't muscle everybody or out jump everybody...or put up a weak move expecting a bucket in college. In the NBA they also play longer games and play about 3 times a week. It takes a toll on your body. Think skinny ass brandon jennings up against Chauncey, or Kidd, or Paul, or even Rose...those guys way too strong

I like AAU basketball but I don't believe in it because you can assemble all-star teams and rarely have to struggle throughout the season...also inflating stats. For example I saw OJ Mayo & Patrick Patterson (might have been Bill Walker but anyway) AAU team play...throwing alley oops the whole entire game didn't even look like they broke a sweat and they were clearly the tallest players...the other team had no chance at all. That's why so many HS all americans don't make it in the league because they are really not that good. Plus some players go under the radar because they don't have the exposure (Stephen Curry prime example).

And they are too immature to handle it...some kids go to college and get homesick...now in the leauge they living out a suitcase...kid can't hnadle it. Add on that the pressure of being a lottery pick and the expectations of the organization and America a lot of them buckle under that pressure.

and after all that typing I forgot what I was trying to say...oh well.
    test
  12. Your Idol

Your Idol ♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠

exception to the rule for football is amibe okoye but i think he graduated high school at the age of 14 or 15 or some crazy shit and played college football for louisville
    test
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.